X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jason73
    Correctamundo!
    • Jan 11, 2009

Thinking abut buying an Intellivision.

I saw an Intellivision II the other day at a used game store. Made me really want to get one. I have a lot of good memories playing this system as a kid.

Does anyone know what are the differences between the Intellivision and Intellivision II consoles? Looking for some advice on a potential future purchase.
    Happy Days-Mego Style
  • mazinz
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 2, 2007

I think it might have been design and the ports on the side for extras (like the talking module or keyboard)
    "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

• VintageMike
      Permanent Member
      • Dec 16, 2004

Modified design so it's a bit lighter. They tried to revised th einside to lock out 3 rd party software and ended up with a electric company game that worked on the first system not being operable on the second one.

Comment

• bizzaro megomauler
        WANTED for card bending
        • Apr 26, 2008

some coleco game don't work either, nor select atarisoft games.

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

The Intellivision is a great classic system! It's high on my to get list. Right after Colecovision. First Coleco, then Intellivision and then Odyssey 2.

Okay, the differences. I guess I'm kinda rambling a bit here. I love to talk vintage games. Anyhoo...

The controllers are removable. I believe the first ones are permanently attached to the system.

The buttons on the keypad on the controllers aren't raised. It's a matter of preference on version one controllers over version 2. But I've read it can make playing some games a little harder because you cant "feel" the buttons and may have to look down to see if you are hitting the right ones in some games.

It has an additional port that allows for accessories like the System Changer. Which is an add on that lets you play 2600 games on it.

Three popular Coleco games don't work on it. One is Donkey Kong and I had to look up the other two which are Mouse Trap and Carnival. It's been awhile and I'm doing most of this from memory.

Hope this helps. It's a great system as has a pretty nice library of games. Lots of nice exclusives like the AD&D games. Graphics wise it falls between the 2600 and Colecovision.

Edit: Here's a very detailed overview of the Intellivision 2

Intellivision Lives
          Last edited by Werewolf; May 30, '10, 11:00 PM.
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Joe90
            Most Special Agent
            • Feb 23, 2008

And here I am thinking I'm Old School with my plain old Playstation...

Twisted Metal is still the best!
            90, Joe 90.... Great Shakes : Milk Chocolate -- Shaken, not Stirred.

Comment

• jwyblejr
              galactic yo-yo
              • Apr 6, 2006

I use to have the Sears version of the first one.

Comment

• Jason73
                Correctamundo!
                • Jan 11, 2009

Thanks for the information all. I see advatages of both consoles. I like that the INT2 has disconnectable controls and power cord but don't like the fact that it does not play all games. I'm probably gonna look for just the standard Intellivision and make sure I get one that works.
                Last edited by Jason73; May 31, '10, 6:50 PM.
                Happy Days-Mego Style

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

My first choice would be the first version as well. But if it's a good buy, I still wouldn't pass on an Intellivision 2.
                  You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Tothiro
                    Kitten Mittens
                    • Aug 28, 2008

Originally posted by Joe90
                    And here I am thinking I'm Old School with my plain old Playstation...
                    My first computer graphics program was the Atari 2600 Surround game (Tron Clone) on lightcycle pixel art setting. No saves. No output. I'd draw for an hour or more.

I also walked up the hill in the snow to school everyday - in both directions. It was Florida, but whatevs, a guy can be curmudgeonly can't he?

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

I just thought of another thing the Intellivision 1 has of Intellivision 2. That rockin' wood grain paneling. You know, they really need to put wood grain panneling back on game systems. It just makes them that much cooler.

Comment

• Adam West
                        Museum CPA
                        • Apr 14, 2003

I thought I remember seeing a CD that you could purchase for $10 with all of the old Intellivision Games on it and play it right through your computer. I think there was even a controller that could be purchased as well to hook up to a USB port.

It may have only had the Mattel Intellivision games but the price point seemed cheap enough.
                        "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
                        ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• Werewolf
                          Inhuman
                          • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Adam West
                          I thought I remember seeing a CD that you could purchase for $10 with all of the old Intellivision Games on it and play it right through your computer.
                          The PC had Intellivision Rocks (10 and 25 games versions) and Intellivision Lives. The PS1 had Intellivision Classic Games. Intellivision Lives was also released for the GameCube, PS2 and XBOX. All great compilations but the best way to play the games is on actual Intellivision hardware because of its unique controllers and overlays needed to play many of the games.

There's also an Intellivision plug and play and many Intellivision games can be downloaded on XBOX Live arcade.

Comment

• Adam West
                            Museum CPA
                            • Apr 14, 2003

If anyone grabs Mattel's Intellivision football, my brother figured out an offensive play that can not be defended no matter what defensive formation you try. You will gain 3 yards minimum. There must have been a glitch in the programming, he figured it out and used to **** me off when I would play him because he used it over and over again.

I don't remember the exact play but it is basically a slant pattern where the bottom receiver runs a slant pattern to the other side of the field where the pass is made. My brother figured out to pass the ball to him in the middle of his route (as he's crossing center) and I swear no matter what defense you use to try to cover it, nothing works.

His other big play was his version of the Hail Mary. Just have the receiver run a deep route. When the ball is snapped have the quarterback run backwards so that the other players on the field can't be seen. As soon at the defense starts closing in, simply toggle your quarterback up or down and throw the ball. The ball will generally go in the direction of the receiver and you may have to adjust the receivers position slightly to catch it. Conversely, you have no idea where the player you control is located in relation to the receiver and are quickly trying to cover as the ball comes in to control. It doesn't work all the time but it has pretty high % rate and he would nail me on that type of pass a couple of times a game just to mix things up if he got bored scoring on me 3 yards at a time. Good times..
                            "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
                            ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                              HULK SMASH!
                              • Apr 3, 2010

I still have an Intellivision, plus a bunch of games. Still a great system.
                              Even found a retro video games store the other week that had a box full of old Imagic and Activision games for Intellivision, in decent condition.
                              PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎