X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jds1911a1
    Alan Scott is the best GL
    • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
    I was one of those kids both enamored and flustered by Secret Wars. I'd much rather had a straight Marvel Super Heroes line with no gimmicks, but even my beloved Super Powers line got gimmicky by stressing the New Gods characters. It seems obvious now, but at the time, only the Super Friends/Super Powers toon and the toys made Darkseid the big baddie of the DCU.

The Cap shield offense was unforgivable. Doom did wear a suit like that toward the end of the comic series, if I remember right.

Hulk was an insanely glaring omission for sure.

Chris
    That had to come from the DC creative side the new gods were by far second string comapred to other characters in the line expecially the villains(and the Superpowers/superfriend only characters the 3rd string).
    Unless the Kenner team was headed by a devotee of jack Kirby. At the time I was much more anoyed that the line had mantis, darkseid, dessad and steppenwolf but no sinestro, riddler (till argentina made him). sivanna, black manta, bizarro or grundy all of whom I knew about and had a follwoing thanks to superfriends

Comment

• samsallspark
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 17, 2010

Wow, a superb writeup about a toyline that's close to my heart. I own most of the Secret wars collection, and what you have to understand is that this line hit in 1984, and the fact we had a Wolverine and a Hobgoblin was super! (sure ol hobgoblin wsn't part of the comic), but he was so cool that you just didn't care.

I didn't see it mentioned but there were also 3 packs and a glider that came with a figure (the heroes glider came with black and white costume spiderman), and the villians glider came with Kang.

There were also special packs of the cycles that came with figures as well.

Comment

• samsallspark
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 17, 2010

And I should note that 25 years later that HASBRO has released SECRET WARS COMIC figure packs! (While not part of the mattel line, it's a nice tip of the hat to the Secret Wars line).

Comment

• bizzaro megomauler
          WANTED for card bending
          • Apr 26, 2008

Originally posted by MysteryWho
          That should be the new slang for a peg warmer. "Oh man, that character is such an Ogeode, mark it down!".
          NO JOKE i went to an old pharmacy in 2006, and there were 3 of them still on the shelf! at 8.99 a pop.

Comment

• Mego Superboy Prime
            Career Member
            • Nov 27, 2009

I remember getting the black clawed Wolverine figure and then putting it back on the shelve for the silver claw (more common) version at an Osco Drug.

Damn!!
            If you're a fan of old-school toys, toons and comics then my blog is the place for you!!!

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
              Persistent Member
              • Mar 1, 2005

I too was one of those kids who was both enamored and frustrated with Secret Wars. I thought the little shields were cool enough and fun (for five minutes) but quickly became disappointed that Cap had no proper shield. Getting a Wolverine figure at the height of my Wolvie-fan mania was definitely a plus. This wound up being the last toy line that I really bought into and played with before I got too old for toys (actually I was already a bit old for 'em), so I do have strong nostalgia for these. One of those lines that I've tried numerous times to start seriously collecting and then wind up laying off 'em. Ironically the only Secret Wars toy I currently own is a loose complete Wolvie with black claws.

Comment

• B-Lister
                Eccentric Weirdo
                • Mar 19, 2010

Doctor Doom's mechanical body was explained in story.

as for the rights separation, it seems that SO MANY have longed for the same toymaker to hold the rights to both ever since MEGO went away.

It'd be cool, but with the interested parties being sworn enemies (Disney and Time Warner) it's not likely to ever occur again.

or, for that matter, an inter company crossover.
                Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• boynightwing
                  That Carl Guy
                  • Apr 24, 2002

What about Hero Clix? They hold the Marvel and DC rights to make those little plastic gaming figures. It's actually a lot of fun. I often make teams from characters on both sides. I just wish I had more people to play it with.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

I remember Kang and Super Powers Darkseid clogging the shelves forever. Darkseid disappeared eventually, but Kang remained...for all time!

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• The Toyroom
                      The Packaging King
                      • Dec 31, 2004

I only had Magneto from this line....
                      Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• bizzaro megomauler
                        WANTED for card bending
                        • Apr 26, 2008

everyone seems to forget TOYBIZ HAD BOTH LISCENCES IN THE 90's! if they made better DC figs instead of rehashed super powers figs (and marvels based in the same vein) they could have still had both. Then Kenner took the Batman license...ouch!

Comment

• bizzaro megomauler
                          WANTED for card bending
                          • Apr 26, 2008

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                          I remember Kang and Super Powers Darkseid clogging the shelves forever. Darkseid disappeared eventually, but Kang remained...for all time!

Chris
                          He only SEEMED to, he was just time travelling to the future pegs looking to see if they outlasted the super-powers line....

Comment

• SexySkottie
                            • Oct 29, 2007

This line was awesome...very basic figures, and it worked well. The comic story was good and still holds up well.

i was So happy to get a DD figure...and the Black Spidey figure is still one of the best marvel figures ever, if only he stood up a bit better.
                            The vehicles and doom base were pretty lame.

Anyone remeber the cheese ball mail away 6 figure case? No one seems to, but I have one...as soon as I figure out how to post pics on this thread, i will post one!
                            sigpic Ultimately, I serve only one master... pure logic!

Comment

• MIB41
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Sep 25, 2005

I picked up the black suit Spidey from that series because it was something of a novelty. If memory serves, he was the first black suit depiction made. Still have it and the card.

Comment

• SexySkottie
                                • Oct 29, 2007

yep, this is the 1st figure of black spidey!
                                sigpic Ultimately, I serve only one master... pure logic!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎