Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alex
    Permanent Member
    • Jun 15, 2009

Well Poland played a friendly against Spain yesterday, and we got wiped 6-0. It really was shamefull to watch, but Spain played fantastic.

Comment

• Adam West
      Museum CPA
      • Apr 14, 2003

Originally posted by LadyZod
      I'm looking forward to this WC.

I hope to see Uruguay regain some of it's Mundial Mojo, and dare I hope, make it to the finals. (2 World Cup victorys, including the very first World Cup.)

Argentina (2 World Cups), the team all of South America hates, I hope to see circle the drain immediately... although I know I'll see then advance. Diego Maradona as their coach? Even the Argentines who worship that man known to possess "The Hand of God" are unconvinced of his coaching ability. That is like hearing the Brazilians say, "Pele'? he's ok."

Mexico (has yet to win a World Cup) is strong, so I'm hoping for a good rivalry between Mex and Uru. Just not that good.

Brazil (5 World Cups) is good, but they've been known to fall and when they fall, they fall HARD.

For my husband's side of the family, I'm hoping to see Germany put on a good show and not get knocked out too early on. (Germany has yet to claim a title since the unification. Before then, West Germany won 3 World Cups)

USA... well, we've always got baseball, and basketball, right?

(Italy-4 World Cups, France & England 1 World Cup a piece)

And here my friends is the small handful of countries that have won all the World Cups since 1930...
      Brazil-won 5
      Italy-won 4
      West Germany-won 3
      Uruguay-won 2
      Argentina-won 2
      England-won 1
      France-won 1

But what do *I* know right? Let's see what the odds makers say:

Spain - 9/2 (+450)
      Brazil - 9/2 (+450)
      England - 6/1 (+600)
      Argentina - 8/1 (+8000)
      Germany - 12/1 (+1200)
      Italy - 14/1 (+1400)
      Netherlands - 14/1 (+1400)
      France - 14/1 (+1400)
      Portugal - 14/1 (+1400)
      Ivory Coast - 20/1 (+2000)
      Chile - 40/1 (+4000)
      Cameroon - 66/1 (+6600)
      Paraguay - 66/1 (+6600)
      Ghana - 66/1 (+6600)
      Serbia - 66/1 (+6600)
      Mexico - 80/1 (+8000)
      USA - 80/1 (+8000)
      Greece - 80/1 (+8000)
      Uruguay - 100/1 (+10000)
      Nigeria - 100/1 (+10000)
      South Africa - 100/1 (+10000)
      Australia - 100/1 (+10000)
      Denmark - 100/1 (+10000)
      Slovenia - 100/1 (+10000)
      Switzerland - 150/1 (+15000)
      Japan - 200/1 (+20000)
      Slovakia - 250/1 (+25000)
      South Korea - 250/1 (+25000)
      Algeria - 250/1 (+25000)
      New Zealand - 500/1 (+50000)
      Honduras - 500/1 (+50000)
      North Korea - 500/1 (+50000)

So ya, I'm rooting for a 100 to 1 shot team. But at least that team's got a pedigree one cannot argue against: having won 18 official titles: 2 FIFA World Cup, 2 Olympic Games and 14 Copa América.
      One thing I hate about the World Cup is that I always notice the top teams always get the calls going their way (even if I have no vested interest in the game) and at this level one PK can mean winning and losing a game.

The oddsmakers look pretty accurate although I still think Argentina, Italy, France, and Portugal are overrated. I think it's going to be one of the better World Cups. In past years, there has always been one team and everyone else. This year should be interesting. Spain and Brazil definitely get the nod for top odds of winning but they are not unstoppable. The U.S. is playing some pretty solid futball right now and going into the game with a lot of confidence. I have heard a lot of people say that the U.S. doesn't have one superstar.....Landon Donovan is a superstar. So, he plays in the MLS....that's by his choice. He has already proven he can play successfully overseas and I have seen him do damage to the best of the best.

If Altidore and the Gooch can get healthy, the U.S. is going to pull a major upset....it might not be against England but I'm thinking...Germany. No Michael Ballack and the U.S. are going into the Cup with a very solid team and beat Australia without much trouble as a final tune up. Also beat Spain's "A" squad in the Confederation Cup and had Brazil against the ropes. The U.S. squad looks better than the Confederation Cup team and I think will surprise the soccer world. Like I said...I don't think we will win but I think is the year the U.S. is going to be taken seriously when they pull a major upset...possibly make it to the top 8 or maybe 4.

U.S. will win the World Cup and will be a perennial powerhouse within 12 years. I see things happening at the youth level and the U.S. is finding the talent early and developing at World Class facilities.
      "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
      ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• clemso
        Talkative Member
        • Aug 8, 2001

Originally posted by wolfie
        It would be nice to think that a lesser country could win the world cup but it ain't gonna happen. From your list of odds the winner will be 14-1 or less and that is gauranteed.

In one way i am rather sad about that.
        I'm not expecting much of England this time, we just don't have enough quality. You only have to look at Brazil, Argentina, Spain and even Holland to see World class players all over the pitch.

Comment

• wolfie
          Persistent Member
          • Dec 31, 2007

Originally posted by Adam West

U.S. will win the World Cup and will be a perennial powerhouse within 12 years. I see things happening at the youth level and the U.S. is finding the talent early and developing at World Class facilities.

I'm glad to hear that things are on the move over there especially with the kids. As for your prediction i will be back in 12 years to ask you what went wrong.

Comment

• Wee67
            Museum Correspondent
            • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by wolfie
            I'm glad to hear that things are on the move over there especially with the kids. As for your prediction i will be back in 12 years to ask you what went wrong.
            Soccer has actually been the most-played sport in America for almost 20 years now, surpassing baseball in the early 90's.

The problema, IMHO, is not that the US isn't creating a pool a young players to grow up and be great adult players. Its that those young players are just now being coached by people who have come up through that pool of young players.

I've not only been playing since I was 8, AND I've played no other position than goal since I was 12. For most of that time my "coaches" were so-an-so's father or the teacher who had to pick up an extracurricular responsibility. I didn't get a designated goalie coach until college. I was playing basically on instict until that point.

I think the US has had to go through a generation of players to get to a point where we now have some decent home-grown coaches teaching these kids more than just the basics of the game.
            Last edited by Wee67; Jun 10, '10, 10:39 AM.
            WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Wee67
              Museum Correspondent
              • Apr 2, 2002

As for the US, I'm still apprehensive- I'm still really worried about their back line coming together in time. Guch does not look 100% and I worry about the English attack (if only I can get another Enlgish player to sleep with one of his teammate's girlfriend ). I also worry Bocanegra will have to have hang back too much and not be able to go forward and create an attack. They've shown they have difficulty keeping a lead and simple mistakes have hurt.

I am excited about Buddle and Gomez being chosen for the team. I'd love to see Buddle get a shot up front with Altidore. I'm also hoping this signals a more offensive approach for the Americans. I've always felt we play not to lose rather than to win. The approach was fine when the US wasn't as good as some teams, but the US has to create more confidence.

BTW, Hector, I think Mexico has a chance of coming out VERY strong in their opening match. That said, don't count Uruguay out. They look like a pretty good side.

Comment

• Adam West
                Museum CPA
                • Apr 14, 2003

Originally posted by Wee67
                As for the US, I'm still apprehensive- I'm still really worried about their back line coming together in time. Guch does not look 100% and I worry about the English attack (if only I can get another Enlgish player to sleep with one of his teammate's girlfriend ). I also worry Bocanegra will have to have hang back too much and not be able to go forward and create an attack. They've shown they have difficulty keeping a lead and simple mistakes have hurt.

I am excited about Buddle and Gomez being chosen for the team. I'd love to see Buddle get a shot up front with Altidore. I'm also hoping this signals a more offensive approach for the Americans. I've always felt we play not to lose rather than to win. The approach was fine when the US wasn't as good as some teams, but the US has to create more confidence.

BTW, Hector, I think Mexico has a chance of coming out VERY strong in their opening match. That said, don't count Uruguay out. They look like a pretty good side.
                I agree with your assessment of not playing to win. I do think some quality wins and a very good coach is changing things.

I fully expect Bradley to do the unpredictible against England which is to say rather than try to play conservative futbal, feel the other team out and then adapt, I think they are going to go full force at England right from the beginning, try to score early, and keep attacking. I know the U.S. wants this win bad...I know England does as well so it will be an exciting game and will probably be a precursor to how both teams perform. England is expected to win...no one is giving the U.S a chance. A U.S. upset or a draw is a win for the U.S. and on the flip side could cause England to sprial down hill with a loss or draw. The 1950 jersey is kind of funny...we'll see if it has any effect on the psychological aspect of the game.
                "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
                ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• Wee67
                  Museum Correspondent
                  • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by Adam West
                  The 1950 jersey is kind of funny...we'll see if it has any effect on the psychological aspect of the game.
                  It is funny- the decision on the sash for this year's jersey was made over 2years ago, well before it was known the US would be in the same group as England.

Psychological aspect? I don't know, but I knew I would hear from the English players in my soccer league after the draws were made so... I waited for the smack to talk to begin before I pulled off my jacket to reveal my 1950 repro jersey. They actually shut up and seemed a bit nervous. Just the smallest bit, but it seemed to have an effect.

Comment

• Adam West
                    Museum CPA
                    • Apr 14, 2003

It is funny- the decision on the sash for this year's jersey was made over 2years ago, well before it was known the US would be in the same group as England.

Psychological aspect? I don't know, but I knew I would hear from the English players in my soccer league after the draws were made so... I waited for the smack to talk to begin before I pulled off my jacket to reveal my 1950 repro jersey. They actually shut up and seemed a bit nervous. Just the smallest bit, but it seemed to have an effect.
                    It has to be absolutely painful to be an England Futbal fan. At least, we can make the excuse that nobody pays that much attention to soccer which is true.

Aside from the U.S./England match, I bet the other two U.S. World Cup round robin matches won't even make it on the front page of the Sports section much less the front page of any newspaper.

England has the best team on paper that I have seen in years. I would like to say they are a contender but just like the U.S., they'll flub it up somehow or another and get knocked out by a team they should beat. Should be a fun couple of weeks. I'm sure I'll be spending much of my time in Sports Bars as much as I can get away from work...
                    ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

Soccer has actually been the most-played sport in America for almost 20 years now, surpassing baseball in the early 90's.
                      Among white and latinos...not black kids.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

Yes...Uruguay is no slouch.

But I have a feeling the Mexicans will be intimidated by the South African crowd...and lose that opening match against them...that's the Mexican way...

sigpic

Comment

• Meule
                          Verbose Member
                          • Nov 14, 2004

Since Belgium didn't qualify (yet again ) I'll be rooting for The Netherlands.
                          "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• alex
                            Permanent Member
                            • Jun 15, 2009

apparently they are already worried, that there will be those deafening african trumpets blown all the time, which will sound like a major swarm of bees.

Comment

• wolfie
                              Persistent Member
                              • Dec 31, 2007

20 minutes to go until the opening ceremony.

Let the fun begin.

Comment

• alex
                                Permanent Member
                                • Jun 15, 2009

Man < i need to get home

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎