Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alex
    Permanent Member
    • Jun 15, 2009

I think Spain will win it, although theve always had great teams, but never any luck in the world cup. Poland of course never qualified again, but maybe a good thing, because they would just show themselves up again. I suppose England will be my team to watch and cheer on. I cant wait, its such a great show, and I have serious withdrawlls when its all over, I just cant believe four years have flown by. If someone didnt know, Poland/Ukraine are actually hosts of the european cup in 2012, so that should be interesting. Thankgod Poland dont have to qualify

Comment

• vulcan2074
      Live Long and Prosper
      • Mar 23, 2008

My moneys on Spain.
      Sammy

Comment

• kennermike
        Permanent Member
        • Nov 4, 2007

Originally posted by vulcan2074
        My moneys on Spain.
        Sammy
        Chile vs Spain Friday June 25th thats gonna be crazy!
        Last edited by kennermike; May 28, '10, 3:06 PM.

Comment

• Wee67
          Museum Correspondent
          • Apr 2, 2002

I bought a reproduction 1950 US jersey which I plan to wear on Jun 12th when they face England so you can probably figure who I'm rooting for.

I am psyched and scared at the same time for the CUp. I want the US to do well, but I'm worried they won't have time to gel. I wish Bradley had played the starters against the Czech so, at least, the back line could come together better. I realize part of Tuesday's game was to try and figure out who would play on the left, but I think the decision should have been made already. I am happy to see that more scorers have been put on the team (so far).

All that said, I think Spain has the best chance. BTW, given their past Cup play, I think The Netherlands is a bold choice.
          WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Wee67
            Museum Correspondent
            • Apr 2, 2002

I think I'm going to head to Philly on the the 12th-
            First I'll hit Wizard World East and then head to a great Irish bar where they placing outdoor screens in the street for the match.
            WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• toystalker
              none
              • Mar 27, 2008

Originally posted by wolfie
              Englands first match is against the USA, should be intresting.
              seeing as im welsh ill be rooting for the USA

i would be rooting for the uk team also like toys2cool... but uk dont have a team , they would possibly have a chance if they did

im thinking along the lines of portugal or spain

i do know theres an interesting bet to be in on... you have to name every win lose and draw of each and every team and you could win yourself 100 million dollars

muhaahaaa 100 million dollars

seen it on a bill board this morn

Comment

• Adam West
                Museum CPA
                • Apr 14, 2003

Portugal and Argentina are lucky to be in the World Cup. They both were almost eliminated in qualifying rounds.

I also have the 1950 U.S. reproduction jersey (long sleeve white jersey with red cross stripe). I have already worn it to a few of my kids games and a few people have commented on it. For those that don't know the U.S. upset England 1-nil in what was called the "Miracle on Grass". England had a phenomenal team that year and the U.S. basically knocked them out of the group rounds. As a side bar, the new U.S. World cup jersey is a nod at the 1950 upset. The white jersey has a white cross stripe and the blue away jersey has a white cross stripe. My opinion is that the U.S./England match will determine how the U.S. plays. A U.S. win or tie and I think they will gain the confidence and surprise most of the world. I'm not predicting a World Cup win but I think they'll go deep. A loss will probably demoralize them and they will probably go down in flames as usual.
                "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
                ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• wolfie
                  Persistent Member
                  • Dec 31, 2007

Just watched England beat ( if thats the right word ) Japan.

Now i know we aren't going to win.

Comment

• toystalker
                    none
                    • Mar 27, 2008

hmm... i found it odd that so many players had tri outs... lampard mentiond that the gaffer is still trying out players and see who works well with who

wow! if he dont know who is in his starting line up yet and still dont know who plays well with who... this late in the day, they could be in real trouble

im mean you know, its not karate.... if they cant even score against japan in football if i was english id be worried

best of luck though eh

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

Mexico beats Italy 2-1 in friendly before World Cup...

World-Sharp Mexico too good for rusty Italy

The game was in Brussels...Meule...did you go?

sigpic

Comment

• Adam West
                        Museum CPA
                        • Apr 14, 2003

Originally posted by Hector
                        Mexico beats Italy 2-1 in friendly before World Cup...

World-Sharp Mexico too good for rusty Italy

The game was in Brussels...Meule...did you go?

See and you were telling me Blanco is a has been but scored one of the two goals to beat Italy.

I honestly believe this is going to be an exciting World Cup. I realize that Spain is favored but they can be beat as was proven last year at the hands of the U.S. National Team.

My prediction is that we will see some top teams like Brazil, Spain, Netherlands, Germany going far but I think there are also going to be some top notch teams that may get knocked out fast...Italy and France come to mind. Argentina and Portugal are suspect. England looks great but is plagued by injuries. There will be a couple of Cinderella teams that will shock people...maybe Nigeria, Mexico, maybe even (gulp) the U.S. They do have the talent to beat anyone.

I have heard that U.K. newspapers have already written the U.S. off but England's coach knows they are good very good so he isn't going to pencil the U.S. game as a win yet.
                        "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
                        ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Adam West
                          See and you were telling me Blanco is a has been but scored one of the two goals to beat Italy.

I honestly believe this is going to be an exciting World Cup. I realize that Spain is favored but they can be beat as was proven last year at the hands of the U.S. National Team.

My prediction is that we will see some top teams like Brazil, Spain, Netherlands, Germany going far but I think there are also going to be some top notch teams that may get knocked out fast...Italy and France come to mind. Argentina and Portugal are suspect. England looks great but is plagued by injuries. There will be a couple of Cinderella teams that will shock people...maybe Nigeria, Mexico, maybe even (gulp) the U.S. They do have the talent to beat anyone.

I have heard that U.K. newspapers have already written the U.S. off but England's coach knows they are good very good so he isn't going to pencil the U.S. game as a win yet.

Blanco should be strictly off the bench...he can still be a solid midfielder...but in spurts...the old man just doesn't have the legs for a grueling match...

The rest of your post is pretty dead on...

sigpic

Comment

• Adam West
                            Museum CPA
                            • Apr 14, 2003

I keep saying over and over that Mexico is a dangerous team....they kind of floundered their way into the World Cup but when they are on, they are on.

Aside from the U.S., I really am routing for Mexico to go. I know it must be as frustrating as it is to be a U.S. or England fan. We know we have the teams that can compete but they seem to flounder when they go into the World's Stage.

I actually just received a really decent magazine put out by Eurosport.com which sells soccer related gear. They talk about each team in depth.

They have Spain as the hands on favorite but list their goal keeper, center back, and lack of creativity as weaknesses.

For the U.S. their weakness is listed as a reactive team meaning that they are a half step behind talented opponents. They also listed defense as a weakness although Howard is one of the top goal keepers in the world

England- goalkeeper and defense as well. They also express concerns over Emile Heskey who seems to play inconsistently and could very well be the difference in moving on or going home.

Mexico-they talk about them giving up a lot of fouls which has cost them a lot of goals along with Mexico not playing well in general outside of Mexico. They also mentioned that they don't have a lot of familiarity against many of the countries.
                            ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• MegoMark71
                              Permanent Member
                              • Dec 18, 2008

ivory coast just got hit hard

Comment

• wolfie
                                Persistent Member
                                • Dec 31, 2007

England captain out of the tournament with a knee injury in the first practice session.

Good start and still a week to go.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎