X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clemso
    Talkative Member
    • Aug 8, 2001

Fifa World Cup South Africa 2010

So ... World Cup is around the corner, who would you like to win and who do you think will really win

I would love England to do it, but i think it will be Brazil or Spain
  • megojim
    Permanent Member
    • Oct 13, 2001

Spain is pretty strong . . . they should win if all goes according to Hoyle . . . but how often does that happen. I want USA to make a strong showing . . . Would like to see Germany win
    My Custom Figures

1 Corinthians 9:24 - Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win!

Comment

• toys2cool
      Ultimate Mego Warrior
      • Nov 27, 2006

not too much into soccer but i'd love to see the usa win it( i know it won't happen) so i'll be going for the UK I have a lot of Spanish family but oh well
      "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
      My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

Philly Eagles

Comment

• Orion
          Museum Night Watchman
          • Mar 11, 2008

Pulling for a strong showing by the U.S. Fully aware of the fact it is a long shot. I just love the World Cup and enjoy watching as many games as possible.

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Mikey01
            Philly Eagles
            Nobody around the world knows what the heck is that...

sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by Hector
              Nobody around the world knows what the heck is that...

I know, that's why I said it

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

Mexico, USA, Spain...and Brazil...those are my teams.

I hate Italy with a passion....and to a lesser extent...Argentina.
                sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

I have one question .....
                  Now bare in mind I know nothing about soccar so this question will probably sound dumb to most people.

I looked up all the countries in it and couldn't find Poland.
                  Being of Polish heritage it's the first thing I noticed.

Are they just not in it, or did they get bumped out before or something else ?
                  I think soccar is pretty big in Poland so its weird they're not in this.

Comment

• wolfie
                    Persistent Member
                    • Dec 31, 2007

Poland were knocked out in the pre qualifying.

The Philly Eagles are in the NFL. ( see i knew that )

Obviously i am supporting England but i don't think we are good enough to win.

I shall be watching every game and with 3 games per day i will be football stir crazy by the end of it.

Comment

• Mikey
                      Verbose Member
                      • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by wolfie
                      Poland were knocked out in the pre qualifying
                      Thanks for the info

I suspected there must have been a reason -- and it figures it's because they're lousy ...

Comment

• kennermike
                        Permanent Member
                        • Nov 4, 2007

US team, also looking at Argentina ,Italy, and I think the cinderella story is going to be The Chilean National team they look awesome,after that countries earthquakes earlier this year they want to win it all. they are coming in under the radar
                        Last edited by kennermike; May 27, '10, 2:37 PM.

Comment

• wolfie
                          Persistent Member
                          • Dec 31, 2007

Englands first match is against the USA, should be intresting.

Watch out for the Ivory Coast, could surprise a few.

Comment

• Adam West
                            Museum CPA
                            • Apr 14, 2003

Obviously routing for the U.S. and I do think this is probably the strongest team they have ever fielded in World Cup play; I am just hoping they will make a respectable showing.

Personally, I think we are going to see a surprise winner this year. Brazil and Spain are the obvious choices but they are not head and shoulders better than any other team. The U.S. did beat Spain last year in the Confederation Cup and it was our "A" team against theirs. I am going with the Netherlands as the surprise winner but I think England really has a shot...a good shot. They also have the strongest World Cup team I have ever seen but they seem to have the same problem as the U.S. They can't figure out how to beat Brazil, Spain, Germany, Italy consistently. This is also a personal opinion of mine which is that there seems to be a little bit of game rigging going on meaning that the referees seem to show favoritism toward the top teams and end up awarding them penalty kicks and other similar fouls that end up meaning the difference between victory and defeat. I don't want to sound like a sour puss because I'm a U.S. fan but I have watched enough matches (not even where the U.S. is involved) where referees seem to award fouls to the top level teams but it doesn't work the other way around.
                            "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
                            ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• Adam West
                              Museum CPA
                              • Apr 14, 2003

Originally posted by Mikey01
                              I have one question .....
                              Now bare in mind I know nothing about soccar so this question will probably sound dumb to most people.

I looked up all the countries in it and couldn't find Poland.
                              Being of Polish heritage it's the first thing I noticed.

Are they just not in it, or did they get bumped out before or something else ?
                              I think soccar is pretty big in Poland so its weird they're not in this.
                              As was already stated, each region of the world qualifies so many teams. The U.S. is in the CONCACAF and in reality it's the U.S. and Mexico and then a bunch of Central American and Carribean Nations which aren't shabby but aren't elite soccer nations. Canada is getting better but again, I soccer is only just catching on there.

Poland has a lot of young talent and will be a force to be reckoned with in 4 years. They play in a really tough qualifying region. It is kind of like March Madness. There are 16 seed teams that make it to the Dance because they were their conference champions while there are teams that could kick the snot out of the 16 seeds but don't even get a bid. Same with the World Cup. There are some top level teams, mid tier teams, and then a few that are in because they aren't in a competitive region. They usually get their proverbial rear ends handed to them but every once in a while there are Cinderella countries that surprise.
                              "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
                              ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎