Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Antique" Show MEGO finds? Yeah, found these and left them there!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • generic
    Persistent Member
    • Jun 25, 2009

"Antique" Show MEGO finds? Yeah, found these and left them there!

I wasn't working today, so I had a chance to go to the monthly antique show (flea market) up the street. If I collected vintage He-Man, I would have scored big. I saw a bunch of old Masters of the Universe figures for $1 each. There were a lot of comic books too. I saw a few that caught my eye, but nothing cheap enough for me to buy.

As for Megos, there was a pretty nice carded Star Trek Bones figure for $75 hidden behind a bunch of plates. I would have happily picked it up, but not for $75. The card had $2.75 written on it and I thought maybe this was actually the price! It doesn't cost anything to ask! When the lady the lady told me the price, I thanked her and put it back. She then told me how extremely rare it was.

There was a 12" Hulk missing his clothes and in rough shape for $10 and a dirty 8" Superman missing his sticker and boots for $10. Superman's hands were both pretty messed up and his suit was possibly the most dirty and faded Superman suit I've ever seen. It looked like Superman had been buried in the back yard since 1978. I asked how much he was - thinking I'd pay $5 for him just to liberate him from the bin under the table and get him away from all of those Jurassic Park figures, but $10 was just too much for a pity purchase. When giving me the price, the lady said, "He's $10. He's one of the really old ones!" That kind of made me feel like I was one of the really old ones too!

So although I didn't pick up anything, it was nice to wander around and look for buried treasure. At least I did see a few Megos!
    Nostalgia just ain’t what it used to be.
  • wayne foundation 07
    Time to feed the cat
    • Dec 30, 2007

Its always fun to atleast see them out there,I would have been giddy at seeing that 2.75 price tag then bam 75 bucks,wow where did that come from?Thanks for sharing your day out.Love knowing that there are still megos still looking for new homes.

Comment

• B-Lister
      Eccentric Weirdo
      • Mar 19, 2010

yeah, back in the 90s I remember seeing plenty of Megos in the wild.

I haven't turned up too much at flea markets so far this year. Still, pretty early in the season, and I did snag a coupla Pocket Super Heroes, so hope springs eternal.
      Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• toys2cool
        Ultimate Mego Warrior
        • Nov 27, 2006

man you should've picked up the He-man for only a $1 each
        "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
        My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• B-Lister
          Eccentric Weirdo
          • Mar 19, 2010

I see a lot of MOTU in various stages of completeness.

if I ever find a Faker or another 'rare' figure for a decent price, I'm gonna grab it.
          Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
            MeGoing
            • May 14, 2003

"She then told me how extremely rare it was."

Funny how everyone is suddenly an expert.

Comment

• timb
              Will Draw for Toys
              • May 1, 2009

Do you guys think that less Mego/older good stuff actually shows up at shows/flea markets simply because most of the good stuff goes right to ebay? Seems like the nature of the market has mutated considerably since the advent of ebay.

Comment

• B-Lister
                Eccentric Weirdo
                • Mar 19, 2010

No.

I think some people just don't care for ebay. The Flea Market attests to that. Some people are content to sit in the sun all day hoping people will buy their stuff.

the thing is, many flea market vendors have items too big, or too common to sell on ebay, or they just have so much stuff that it's a hassle to list it all.

Comment

• starsky
                  veteran member
                  • Aug 26, 2007

Originally posted by timb
                  Do you guys think that less Mego/older good stuff actually shows up at shows/flea markets simply because most of the good stuff goes right to ebay? Seems like the nature of the market has mutated considerably since the advent of ebay.
                  yeah i agree. all the garbage are at shows being blown out and the primo stuff on ebay. although lately, i'm starting to see more quality toys being brought out to the shows. i think shows are now making a comeback.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                    galactic yo-yo
                    • Apr 6, 2006

I wish I had a quarter for every time I heard the explanation that "it's one of the really old ones."

Comment

• mrwisker
                      • May 12, 2010

I've heard them all...
                      This piece is rare, it's an old one, I played with this one when i was a kid....
                      Most of the time I just roll my eyes and walk away.
                      I think that the shows and the markets are making a comeback...Yes they are an outlet for blowout items, considering the fact that ebay and internet have saturated the market. There are dealers out there that still don't know how to turn on a computer let alone do ebay. Others, have had enough of trying to deal with the ebay crap and some of the pain in the butt customers you get.
                      I still like the flea markets though, you can still find that diamond in the rough, or the misidentified piece. Sadly though, peoples ideas of flea markets have drastically changed. More and more you are finding flea markets with more new dollar store/walmart type of merchanise
                      Even still...I gotta love where I live. I can attend a flea market every day of the week and at least 6-10 of them on a Sunday

Comment

• generic
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jun 25, 2009

My father sells antiques and has no idea how to use a computer. He has mentioned numerous times that the other dealers have nothing but bad things to say about ebay. Many of them have stopped selling on ebay.

Another friend of mine who collects vintage guitars is sick of ebay because he used to be able to do a search and come up with 100 results with 90% being the guitars that he was looking for. Now when he does the same search, there are 10,000 results and only a couple are what he's looking for, so he has to sift through hundreds of unrelated items to find one that he might want. His other complaint is that instead of listing a guitar, most people are taking it apart and listing the individual pieces...which leads to hundreds more auctions and less stuff that he wants.

Another friend says that whenever she looks up guitars on ebay, it's almost all pages ripped out of a magazine with an ad for a guitar. People are asking something like $10 for a page ripped out of a magazine. Her comment was that they never seem to sell, but there are hundreds of auctions for these ads standing in the way of her finding the guitars that she wants.

I don't know if ebay is on the way out, but from what people tell me, it certainly seems to have taken a turn for the worse.
                        Nostalgia just ain’t what it used to be.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                          galactic yo-yo
                          • Apr 6, 2006

^Those guitar auctions sound like what you find any more with Mego auctions on eBay.

Comment

• kryptosmaster
                            Removed.
                            • Jun 14, 2008

Originally posted by jwyblejr
                            ^Those guitar auctions sound like what you find any more with Mego auctions on eBay.
                            Or any traderbynature listing.

"Here's a sock from a rare mego figure, only $25"
                            "Here's the other sock from the same figure, $25"

Man, I hate that guy.

Rich

Comment

• toiletmonkey
                              Museum Super Collector
                              • Apr 28, 2010

Originally posted by kryptosmaster
                              Or any traderbynature listing.

"Here's a sock from a rare mego figure, only $25"
                              "Here's the other sock from the same figure, $25"

Man, I hate that guy.

Rich
                              LOL ive seen his auctions CRazzy!

TM
                              Think of what you want to be...Then call on me.
                              -Action Jackson

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎