Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jessica
    fortune favors the bold
    • Nov 5, 2007

Well, it's a toss up between Planet of the Apes (1968) and this movie...so yeah, it's up there.
    Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
    Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
    1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
    1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• wolfie
      Persistent Member
      • Dec 31, 2007

I'm another who has never seen it but i will do sometime allthough i read that if you saw it on dvd it was not too good, only really comes alive in 3D.

Comment

• Brazoo
        Permanent Member
        • Feb 14, 2009

I haven't seen it yet either.

Sandy - I do think you're right that you're taking things very personally because I think you're trying to justify your respect for the film in unjustifiable ways and you normally seem very logical.

Your experience and talent is IMMENSE - you also seem like a great guy - and I mean no disrespect - but your experience and talent may effect your personal appreciation for the film, but it doesn't mean people without that experience can't appreciate the movie. The movie was not made FOR filmmakers. When someone buys a ticket the experience is now theirs - and however they felt about the experience it is valid, in my opinion.

As for how much work went into it - yeah, well this is one of the hardest aspects of doing art - even from my ragtag hobo approach to being creative. Hard work does not automatically equal great work - and even if a piece of work is great it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea. Even from my personal perspective with my own work, sometimes I can slave over something and hate it in the end and sometimes I can hash something out and end up loving it. In a perfect world the two would always be balanced, but they're not.

You can say that the amount of money the film made is relevant to it's place in pop culture and history, but I don't see how that validates the quality of the work. "Beverly Hills Chiuaua" is not a better critical achievement than "The Third Man" just because more people saw it. Know what I mean?

In any case, I totally respect your opinions normally, and I hope you don't take offense to the fact that I disagree with your justifications for why Avitar should be considered important to everyone.
        Last edited by Brazoo; Sep 8, '10, 3:42 PM.

Comment

• Brazoo
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 14, 2009

Repost
          Last edited by Brazoo; Sep 8, '10, 7:15 PM.

Comment

• Cmonster
            Banned
            • Feb 6, 2010

Originally posted by Brazoo
            In any case, I totally respect your opinions normally, and I hope you don't take offense to the fact that I disagree with your justifications for why Avitar should be considered important to everyone.
            I don't take offense to that in the least, man. It's all good. I just come in here like everyone else and enjoy this place. Every so often, I'll have strong opinions about certain things and feel I can express them here for discussion. No matter how strong my opinions my be (and in this particular case, they're pretty strong to say the least), I don't expect to "convert" anyone or make them change their minds about how they feel about certain films or whatever. I'm just offering a point of view and a perspective that not a lot of people in here have regarding these types of things, that's all.

I don't say that from an egotistical point of view. I say it with the most sincere humility, because I feel fortunate to have achieved the position in the industry from which I'm able to provide this unique perspective.

Love and respect to all,

SC

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Brazoo
              I haven't seen it yet either.
              You can say that the amount of money the film made is relevant to it's place in pop culture and history, but I don't see how that equates the quality of the work. "Beverly Hills Chiuaua" is not a better critical achievement than "The Third Man" just because more people saw it. Know what I mean?
              Your whole post was very well said and you make a lot of great points. I totally agree that popularity does not necessarily equal quality or artistic merit. Britney Spears and Justin Bieber sell millions of CDs. Doesn't make them good. Plenty of reality TV shows flooding TV right now. Sure, they are popular but Jersey Shore is no Citizen Kane or Lawrence of Arabia.
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• jimsmegos
                Mego Dork
                • Nov 9, 2008

My wife and in-laws absolutely love this film. Me I thinks it's pretty good as far as a film goes. Personally I liked it okay but I really get lost in the look/ design/ execution of the film. As a wannabe film maker I guess that's a normal viewing habit. But to clarify I don't honestly think there is anything that is a genuinely bad movie. Now whether or not I like it is a whole different ball game. My experience with the film is mine. Yours is yours. Theirs is theirs. Etc.. It's just like a friend of yours or someone in your class who could have cared less about a Mego back in the day let alone now. That's not to be wishy washy it's just a perspective I've picked up after watching people for 36 years now having been on the planet. So in the end, would I recommend Avatar? Yeah. Would I give someone the evil poopy eye for not seeing it. No. And as far as those who refuse to watch it because of the "hype machine" do yourself a favor... let go of that mentality because you could really be neglecting yourself from some really good things. Case in point, I just saw "Juno" over the weekend. Avoided it cuz of the "Hate the HYpe" mentality.. but now, I'm glad I saw it.

My 2 Cents

Comment

• Brazoo
                  Permanent Member
                  • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by Cmonster
                  I don't take offense to that in the least, man. It's all good. I just come in here like everyone else and enjoy this place. Every so often, I'll have strong opinions about certain things and feel I can express them here for discussion. No matter how strong my opinions my be (and in this particular case, they're pretty strong to say the least), I don't expect to "convert" anyone or make them change their minds about how they feel about certain films or whatever. I'm just offering a point of view and a perspective that not a lot of people in here have regarding these types of things, that's all.

I don't say that from an egotistical point of view. I say it with the most sincere humility, because I feel fortunate to have achieved the position in the industry from which I'm able to provide this unique perspective.

Love and respect to all,

SC

I TOTALLY understand, and I completely respect your passion! Thanks for not taking what I said personally. Your insights and contribution is one of the many highlights on this board to me!

BIG UPS!!!

Werewolf - Cheers man!

Comment

• ScottA
                    Original Member
                    • Jun 25, 2001

So what are the bonus scenes in the film that was rereleased in theaters?
                    sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• Mr Mego
                      Love to play with Megos
                      • Oct 19, 2003

Originally posted by fallensaviour
                      Oh heck yeah for sure!!!
                      Tail,teeth and all...
                      Who was that actress and no not sigorney weaver!!
                      And the pointed ears.

Originally posted by fallensaviour
                      Thanks I knew she looked familiar.
                      That's Joe Saldana worked on new Star Trek and Avatar movies.

She's HOT!!

Wanted to buy pair original shoes for vintage WOZ Wizard

My Good Buyers/Sellers/Traders list in here.

Comment

• Mr Mego
                        Love to play with Megos
                        • Oct 19, 2003

Originally posted by ScottA
                        So what are the bonus scenes in the film that was rereleased in theaters?
                        There's no bonus scenses in the first part of Avatar movie, I heard my 2 members from Avatar-Forums.com told me 3rd new released DVD with bonus scense and complete (undeleted) film with widescreen by this November 22nd, 2010, will hit all Wal-Mart, Supertarget and other stores.

I went to the theater at the Mall last Jan, Feb and March, 2010 and watched Avatar 5 times with 3D glasses, I loves that awesome movie I ever seen!

Comment

• mego73
                          Printed paperboard Tiger
                          • Aug 1, 2003

Originally posted by Commander
                          There's no bonus scenses in the first part of Avatar movie, I heard my 2 members from Avatar-Forums.com told me 3rd new released DVD with bonus scense and complete (undeleted) film with widescreen by this November 22nd, 2010, will hit all Wal-Mart, Supertarget and other stores.

I went to the theater at the Mall last Jan, Feb and March, 2010 and watched Avatar 5 times with 3D glasses, I loves that awesome movie I ever seen!

What? I heard that the re-release was supposed to have the Navi-nookie scene.

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• jessica
                            fortune favors the bold
                            • Nov 5, 2007

There were some bits that I saw onscreen this last weekend that were not there the first time I saw Avatar.
                            Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
                            Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
                            1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
                            1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• Mr Mego
                              Love to play with Megos
                              • Oct 19, 2003

Originally posted by mego73
                              What? I heard that the re-release was supposed to have the Navi-nookie scene.
                              Oh, I see. I've not heard about that re-release Na'vi - nookie scene in Avatar-forums yet.

Thanks for LMK.

Comment

• mego73
                                Printed paperboard Tiger
                                • Aug 1, 2003

Originally posted by Commander
                                Oh, I see. I've not heard about that re-release Na'vi - nookie scene in Avatar-forums yet.

Thanks for LMK.
                                I may be wrong but it was being talked about in another forum that they were supposed to add a scene where Sam and Zoe's CGI characters get it on (Na'vi Nookie)

Someone said "Who would ever be interested in seeing a couple blue CGI creatures going at it?"

Without a beat, I wrote back "fanboys"

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎