X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SlipperyLilSuckers
    MeGoing
    • May 14, 2003

Originally posted by Brue
    How did I miss this ??? SC is Sandy Collora!!!!

You freakin Rock man! Batman Dead End Was-IS one of the best made superhero films of any length! Without dialogue you tell a tale that draws me in - your sets, design, art, and direction is top notch.

You hold a high place in superhero geekdome.

And as far as not being a fan of Avatar - I truly do appreciate the amount of work hat went into it - i marvel at the visual effects. I enjoyed the movie. I just really think the story was predictable, trite and uncreative. Cameron makes huge dollar movies because he uses predictable stories - things people expect coupled with the visuals. (huge marketing effort puts him over the top - the smartest marketing he does is uses the visuals to push the free marketing - every news venue carries it)
    And not only is he famous, and an awesome filmaker with his own studio, but more importantly, he is a really nice guy!

Comment

• gummi
      Career Member
      • Dec 2, 2009

I wasn't too keen on the movie myself, which was really disappointing as I've loved all of James Cameron's other movies. Neither the characters nor the story did anything to draw me in or make me care about their plight, and without the visual effects I don't think I would have sat through the whole thing. It was a one-time watch for me. On a side note, I never realized that James Cameron is a hippie tree-hugger.
      "Trying is the first step towards failure." - H. J. Simpson, 1997

Comment

• ctc
        Fear the monkeybat!
        • Aug 16, 2001

>The fact that some people choose to nitpick this film and make comments about the story not being original or whatever, REALLY bothers me.

It depends on what you get out of a movie. I’m one of them folks that cares more about the ideas than the execution. Hence my affection for 50's B-Movies: poorly executed, cheap, repetitive, but you’re guaranteed a weird monster. (Note I didn’t say “good.”) Effects don’t do it for me ‘cos after seeing them and going “yeah; that’s neat,” I still got 1.25 hours of movie to get through.

But that’s me. Most folks enjoy the spectacle more than anything else. Avatar delivers that. The story is really typical; but I don’t think most folks care. (If they did, Bruce Willis wouldn’t be a star.) It’s a matter of taste more than anything else.

Don C.

Comment

• Cmonster
          Banned
          • Feb 6, 2010

Originally posted by ctc
          It’s a matter of taste more than anything else.
          Really good point, Don. Well said...

The more refined your tastes, the more refined a movie you're prone to appreciate.

SC

Comment

• boynightwing
            That Carl Guy
            • Apr 24, 2002

What Avatar did accomplish was that it got people to come to a Sci Fi movie who would normally never do so. I saw old ladies, soccer moms, all kinds of people in line. I kept thinking "why are they here?". But its good. Maybe they liked it and will give other Sci Fi movies a try in the future.

Cameron makes Event movies. That's how the numbers get so high. (That and his movies are quality either in visual or story or in the case of Terminator 2 both) People want to be part of the event that was Avatar so they came out in crazy numbers. What sucked is that most theaters only have one or two screens capable of digital 3D so we were limited with our seating. My theater at the time it came out had one screen that was digital. It could seat about 300 people. It wasn't enough to meet demand. We had a 2D print on 35 mm film in our biggest house but nobody wanted to see it in 2D. This was another factor in creating a demand for the show because it ALWAYS sold out. People started showing up 3 hours before their show started. We had no place to put them where they wouldn't be a potential fire hazard. From my point of view, it was a little nerve wracking on a daily basis which is why I harbor a small resentment for the movie. Just like I do for Lord of the Rings.

There was one day towards the end of the theatrical run at my theater that sticks out in my mind. We have a Birthday Party package that we offer and someone wanted to have an Avatar party. Since it was already out for like 3 months at this point we decided it would be ok to do so. Part of the package is reserved seating for the BDay kids. There was a small line up. Not the typical huge one we were used to. But this guy in line completely lost his mind because we held 7 seats for a birthday. Not even great seats, just off to the side a few rows up. We ended up having to kick this guy out because his anger, language and behavior were over the top. He was screaming at this poor party at the top of his lungs! The movie wasn't even sold out. He had the whole rest of the theater to get seats from. I think the demand for the movie must have agitated him and he showed up super early when he didn't have to and got all stressed out over seating. I doubt he would have even been able to relax and enjoy the show even if the party had not been there. From my point of view, Avatar isn't worth getting kicked out of a theater for. It wasn't THAT good. Good yes, but not good enough to incite violence.

Comment

• megoscott
              Founding Partner
              • Nov 17, 2006

For me, the absolute orginality of the story is secondary if it's executed in a new and innovative way. The Star Wars hero's journey is famously a version of a story that's been told a thousand times, right? Avatar may be recycling certain themes and even storylines but it's one of the central themes of our history along with slavery--the exploitation of nature and native peoples at the service of greed and progress is a big story that is movingly and effectively told in Avatar. And the storytelling device of the white man infiltrating the native culture and coming to fight for the underdog, that's a very effective way of bringing the audience into the drama. I was very drawn into the story and emotionally involved with the characters. I've sat through a lot of special effects spectacles that have no idea of how to tell a story or connect with an audience. Cameron did a masterful job.
              This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• megoapesnut
                The name says it all!
                • Dec 3, 2007

Originally posted by Cmonster
                The last two movies Cameron has made, have been pretty predictable, but the point I'm making is that he's such a talented writer and filmmaker, that even though you know how "Titanic" and "Avatar" are going to end, HOW he gets the audience to that ending is where the magic of his work, truly lies.

My thoughts exactly. The HOW he gets to the ending part is what made Avatar. I saw it 4 times in the theater. I haven't seen a movie in the theater more than once since I was a kid and rode my bike 10 miles to the theater to see Flash Gordon multiple times. I took my wife and daughter to see it the second time (neither care for Sci-Fi AT ALL) and they were mad at me by about halfway through. By the time the end rolled around, they wanted to go see it again.

Comment

• ctc
                  Fear the monkeybat!
                  • Aug 16, 2001

>The more refined your tastes, the more refined a movie you're prone to appreciate.

I dunno if I'd call it refined though. A lot of what I like is absolute rubbish; but it's DIFFERENT. Show me something I've never seen before, no matter how bad, and I'm happy.

Don C.

Comment

• jessica
                    fortune favors the bold
                    • Nov 5, 2007

I saw the movie again today on the big screen. Still as brilliant as the first time I saw it. Glad I convinced my brother in law to see it. He was so impressed. He said it was the greatest thrill ride he had ever been on and he didn't want it to end. There were only five people watching it on the big screen, but it was so incredible and so worth it. It was and still is one of those brilliant movies that I could never tire of.
                    Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
                    Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
                    1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
                    1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• Random Axe
                      The Voice of Reason
                      • Apr 16, 2008

I admit it. I'm the last adult in the US that has not seen this film. I suppose I'll have to rent this and see what I missed. I just don't see how anything can come attached with such hype or how I can ingnore it and just enjoy the film for what it is. I'll certainly try.

Scott
                      I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• kennermike
                        Permanent Member
                        • Nov 4, 2007

Originally posted by Random Axe
                        I admit it. I'm the last adult in the US that has not seen this film. I suppose I'll have to rent this and see what I missed. I just don't see how anything can come attached with such hype or how I can ingnore it and just enjoy the film for what it is. I'll certainly try.

Scott
                        still have not seen it never will

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                          HULK SMASH!
                          • Apr 3, 2010

Scott

I felt the same. Then I finally decided to go see the movie (in 3D) and was pleasantly surprised. It's certainly worth watching.
                          PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• The Toyroom
                            The Packaging King
                            • Dec 31, 2004

I admit it. I'm the last adult in the US that has not seen this film.
                            You're not the last
                            Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• palitoy
                              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                              • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                              You're not the last
                              Welcome Brethen...
                              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Cmonster
                                Banned
                                • Feb 6, 2010

Best movie ever made.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢