X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

Which Of These Items Were In Your 70's Closet

No, I'm not talking about Paul Lynde. I'm talking about those things you actually owned and wore. I know there are always the classic plaids and platforms, but did you actually ever wear a pair of platform shoes? Me neither. I'm really talking about kids'clothes. I did have some (and sometimes many) of these. How about you? (((I realize these are mostly boys' fashins, but that is what I wore. Well, until college anyway Feel free to add your tales of gingham plaid, ladies. )))

Some sort of patterned polyester knit turtle neck. In all honesty, I hated these scratchy things, but looking back at my pre-6-years-old photos, my mother apparently liked them... ALOT!

(((Had to grab a PS picture for this one)))When I started to pick out my own clothes, I could never own enough t-shirts with numbers on them. I don't know if it made me feel like an athlete or something, but I loved them. I couldn't find a picture of the ones I used to get with holes throughout. They were almost a fine mesh.

Wallabees or any over-the-ankle suede shoes. I realize these came out in the 60's, but I remember them being the rage in the 70's. I never had the Wallabees brand, but there were plenty of knock-offs at Sears.

Speaking of suede footwear, I think EVERY pair of sneakers I owned from 1976-79 were blue suede with white stripes on the side. And, once again, not being able to afford Adidas, we are back at Sears for their Tracks label.

Now I KNOW you had these- Striped Tube Socks. I used to love to get the ones that came in colors matching NFL teams. As a Cowboys fan, I loved the rare Blue and Gray combo, but I'd acceot the Redskins or Dolphins' colors.

Age-inappropriate Iron-On. OK, maybe you didn't have a pot leaf on your chest when you were 8, but did you ever have a beer logo or some sort of off-color joke that probably should have been reserved someone at least in their teens. I think I won a T at the Jersey shore with the "Keep On Truckin' " guy.
    Last edited by Wee67; May 7, '10, 1:09 PM.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.
  • wayne foundation 07
    Time to feed the cat
    • Dec 30, 2007

The blue shoes and the socks.I think the shoes were the cheapest shoes mom found for to wear,lord I hated them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Comment

• megocrazy
      Museum Trouble Maker
      • Feb 18, 2007

I think the suede shoes are still in my closet at my mothers. I also had the same Adidas shoe KO's but I believe they were from K-Mart. Probably have the socks too, still sitting in the draw. Wore some turtlenecks too, until I got old enough to tell my mother they sucked.
      It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
        Eloquent Member
        • Jan 19, 2008

Why would you bring back such horrible memories?!?

Comment

• Iron Mego
          Wake Up Heavy
          • Jan 31, 2010

I had the knock-off shoes, both kind. Right now though I've got the real deal Wallabee's, and numerous pairs of suede Adidas. Ahh, adulthood!
          Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
            valar morghulis
            • Mar 8, 2005

The kid on the bike pic brought back memories of that siren thing on the handlebars.. man, did I want one of those things for my Huffy. Don't think I ever got one.. my mom certainly wouldn't have wanted me going around the neighborhood making a racket..

As for the clothes, it simply isn't possible to be a child of the 70s and not have worn those polyester turtlenecks or striped tube socks..

Comment

• Cmonster
              Banned
              • Feb 6, 2010

Wow... I remember ALL of it. Particularly the noise maker that went on your bike grip. Me and my friends all had that thing. LOL

SC

Comment

• rche
                channeling Bob Wills
                • Mar 26, 2008

I had several number jerseys with the little perfs all over. No matter how many holes were punched in those shirts, the number area was hotter than all Hades and stuck to your chest.

good times.

How about a shirt with a Peanuts character on it? Those were pretty popular in my house as well.

Comment

• starsky
                  veteran member
                  • Aug 26, 2007

had the knock off sears wallabee suede shoes. always wanted the adidas sl 76 cuz starsky wore them!! i now have a pair!!!

Comment

• Wee67
                    Museum Correspondent
                    • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by starsky
                    had the knock off sears wallabee suede shoes. always wanted the adidas sl 76 cuz starsky wore them!! i now have a pair!!!
                    Did you order them from Argentina? I'd love to pick up a pair, but can't find them.
                    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• shazam7208
                      Career Member
                      • Oct 28, 2008

I remember the having the Wallabees and the socks! Loved 'em!

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                        MeGoing
                        • May 14, 2003

The Wallabees look comfy. We had an equivalent thing called Desert Boots...same color suede... something like this:

I had a favourite tshirt - Dolphins with the number 36, and was very disappointed when Mum pointed out it wasn't appropriate to advertise my chest size at age 12.

Comment

• HardyGirl
                          Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                          • Apr 3, 2007

Let's see...

I didn't star wearing tube socks until the 80s (pastel girls version from K-Mart)

Blue shoes w/ stripes, Pro-Specs in 6th grade, Jox in 7th grade, K-mart brand some time in the 80s

Never wore Wallabees (though I had friends who did), but I did have all the popular Buster Brown shoes (Honeys, Topsies, Scamps, CULaters {wanted Bigfoot, Mom said no}, Chaws). Then in 7th grade I got a pair of Clarks Star Wars C3POs. Every pair but the Scamps were brown. The Buster Browns had a pic on the side.

And I had a hand me down NY Jets shirt from my cousins, (just b/c I wanted a shirt w/ numbers on it, so I could be like them).
                          "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                          'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                          Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                          If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• The Toyroom
                            The Packaging King
                            • Dec 31, 2004

What? No Tough-Skins?
                            Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• ScottA
                              Original Member
                              • Jun 25, 2001

Wallabees and the Dolphin/Redskin tube socks for me.
                              sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎