X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimsmegos
    Mego Dork
    • Nov 9, 2008

Originally posted by Megotu
    Probably not rares, but just picked up 6 of the MH girls for my daughter at Krogers clearanced out at 3 bux each. Seemed like an awesome deal to me. Target also had some outfits for 2.50.
    Wowza! which line was that cheap?

Comment

• Harbingerboy
      Career Member
      • Jun 18, 2007

Originally posted by Megotu
      Probably not rares, but just picked up 6 of the MH girls for my daughter at Krogers clearanced out at 3 bux each. Seemed like an awesome deal to me. Target also had some outfits for 2.50.
      That's an awesome deal, congrats!

Originally posted by ScottA
      Is it me or is the hair color different?
      It's probably the lighting/quality of the pic, but the hair color is the same for each. Cleo on top does have teal streaks also, though its hard to tell from that pic. The placement and amount of color varies a lot from doll to doll, however. The two Draculauras' bangs/fringe in that pic is a perfect example.

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Step aside Bratzillaz there's a new MH knockoff haunting the toy isles.

Mystixx Vampires.

The dolls come with two outfits and two wigs. The gimmick is the dolls heads have two faces and rotating the heads and switching the outfits and wigs changes the dolls from human to Vampires.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Harbingerboy
          Career Member
          • Jun 18, 2007

Originally posted by Werewolf
          Step aside Bratzillaz there's a new MH knockoff haunting the toy isles.

Mystixx Vampires.

The dolls come with two outfits and two wigs. The gimmick is the dolls heads have two faces and rotating the heads and switching the outfits and wigs changes the dolls from human to Vampires.
          That website is atrocious! The copy, the legibility...I can't even form an opinion on the product (which I didn't see any pics of), it's like a ten year old created it.

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Harbingerboy
            That website is atrocious! The copy, the legibility...I can't even form an opinion on the product (which I didn't see any pics of), it's like a ten year old created it.
            Yeah, the site is pretty bad. Hopefully it's just very early and not finished yet. I loled at the identical cut paste bios all the characters have. I've seen the dolls on ebay but not in person yet. They actually looked fairly nice. I'm gonna get at least one of them to check out when/if I find them locally. I'm gonna check TRU this weekend.
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

Found the updated Mystixx Vampires website. All the characters have their own bios.

Comment

• Harbingerboy
                Career Member
                • Jun 18, 2007

Found the updated Mystixx Vampires website. All the characters have their own bios.

http://mystixx.com/index.html
                Looks like they fired the ten-year-old and hired a fourteen-year-old.

In all fairness, Playhut appears to be a company that only produces licensed brand play tents, outside of a few small stunt action cycle & truck toys. Mystixx seems to be their first real attempt at their own big brand. Having only seen a couple pics of the product from eBay, I can say the duality concept sounds fun and interesting, but the design and execution looks like a fail so far. The packaging looks like a Bratz knockoff, the dolls look like MH knockoffs, the fashions look as boring, the characters sound completely unoriginal...at least MGA's Bratzillaz came for the market trend with a real effort in design, character development, thoughtful accessories (Cafe Zap aside), etc., though the end results are still arguable. I'm sure Playhut doesn't have MGA bucks (they sure aren't follwing MGA's marketing push), but if the product speaks for itself then this just looks like a half@ssed money grab. And that new website, which misspells the brand in the browser as "Mystix Home" - there isn't even any copyright info or company links on the home page.

I wonder what the Mystixx SRP is? I also have to wonder how much they paid their web site designer.

Btw, my favorite Monster High bootleg/knockoff (not that I'm calling any of the above competitors outright knockoffs), is by far...Miao Miao Devil Girl!! If you haven't witnessed the awesomeness of Miao Miao Devil Girl yet, feast your eyes (apologies in advance for the pic heaviness, but it must be seen to be believed)...

Gotta love that satanic goat pet! I don't know where these are generally sold (all images from Google Images), but they've apparently softened the crazy-eyes stare with later releases and are mimicking Monster High's packaging much more closely now, including skullettes, character portraits (Frankie, Ghoulia, etc.) and assortment names (Dead Tired, etc.). One even mimics SDCC black & white Frankie's box.

I don't know what's more amazing, the skanky cheerleader (?) ensembles or the drum set? The girls of Monster High never got a drum set. Ah well...I do kind of feel for the little girl who grows up with Devil Girl.
                Last edited by Harbingerboy; Aug 30, '12, 6:48 PM.

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

:

In all fairness, Playhut appears to be a company that only produces licensed brand play tents, outside of a few small stunt action cycle & truck toys. Mystixx seems to be their first real attempt at their own big brand.
                  Their previous fashion doll line was Mystikats. It was fashion doll line of catgirls. I've only seen them in pics. Amazon.com has a few for sale.

I wonder what the Mystixx SRP is?
                  $19.99, from what I've read.

Btw, my favorite Monster High bootleg/knockoff (not that I'm calling any of the above competitors outright knockoffs), is by far...Miao Miao Devil Girl!! If you haven't witnessed the awesomeness of Miao Miao Devil Girl yet, feast your eyes (apologies in advance for the pic heaviness, but it must be seen to be believed)...
                  Wow! That's crazy. I agree the translucent goat pet is a nice touch though.

Comment

• Harbingerboy
                    Career Member
                    • Jun 18, 2007

Their previous fashion doll line was Mystikats. It was fashion doll line of catgirls. I've only seen them in pics. Amazon.com has a few for sale.
                    Oh, I did not know that. Well, then. When you're half girl and half cat, two worlds are better than one. Whatever that means. Lol...Sorry, I just watched the Mystikats commercial on Youtube. I can't believe I never heard of those! So...The Mystikats are vampires now? Hey, if it works for the Bratz...So I guess I stand corrected. Playhut isn't so much lazily ripping on other brands so much as slightly modifying their own.

Mystikats are almost as awesome as Devil Girl...almost.

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

Oh, I did not know that. Well, then. When you're half girl and half cat, two worlds are better than one. Whatever that means. Lol...Sorry, I just watched the Mystikats commercial on Youtube. [/I]
                      I've not seen the commercial. I gotta see it now.

Besides Mystixx Vampires it looks like Playhut is also making a western theme fashion doll line. Not into western stuff but they do look nice enough for what they are.

Comment

• GaryPlaysWithDolls
                        Mighty Man/Monster Maker
                        • Aug 14, 2007

That head switcheroo thing is what Monster High should have done for the Jekyll/Hyde character. Jackson Jekyll? He seems, by far, to be the least interesting one I've seen.

LOVE the knockoffs, coming soon to a skanky flea-market near you. WAIT! Do they even still have skanky flea markets to by knockoffs? Has the internet replaced such places? Sad thought.

Mina is the world's first Paranormal Petsitter in the new middle-grade book series by Gary Buettner, MONSTER PETS, coming in FALL 2014 from EMBY KIDS. Spooky adventure that's perfect reading for kids 8-12
                        https://www.facebook.com/monsterpetsbooks?ref=hl

Comment

• Harbingerboy
                          Career Member
                          • Jun 18, 2007

One last Devil Girl pic and I'm done derailing the thread. This is the back of one of the original Devil Girl boxes. No idea what the doll next to her is supposed to be (it isn't included in the box) but it definitely elevates the creeptastic insanity factor by at least 20%!!

Comment

• GaryPlaysWithDolls
                            Mighty Man/Monster Maker
                            • Aug 14, 2007

Hey, a two-fer, creepy and, uh, head-scratchy at the same time. Nice.

Mina is the world's first Paranormal Petsitter in the new middle-grade book series by Gary Buettner, MONSTER PETS, coming in FALL 2014 from EMBY KIDS. Spooky adventure that's perfect reading for kids 8-12
                            https://www.facebook.com/monsterpetsbooks?ref=hl

Comment

• Werewolf
                              Inhuman
                              • Jul 14, 2003

Saw the new Dot Dead Gorgeous 3 Pack with Abbey, Draculaura and Ghoulia at Walmart yesterday. Love the Ghoulia in the set. She is really rockin' that perm. Very 50s retro.

Comment

• katiedoodle29
                                • Jul 9, 2012

Yay! Hubby bought me the three Scarily Ever After dolls. I wasn't necessarily planning on collecting this set, but I saw Threadarella a few weeks ago and I've been lusting for them since... They look AMAZING on my shelf! Today is a scarily great day!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎