X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Captain
    Fighting the good fight!
    • Jun 17, 2001

The Ready Gang Rides Again!!!

While getting something else out of storage I found some of my Ready Gang figures. As promised, I took some pictures. I forgot just how big these guys were! As I mentioned in the other thread, they were very well articulated, and the accessories were the best ones Marx ever made. The only thing I hated was the rooted hair, which kinda "sissified" these guys a bit. Costumes were well designed, but Marx sure cut the fabric too fit...all the figures pants fit a bit tight, giving the impression they are all walking around with their flys unbuttoned....Being outlaws, this may be some form of rebellion?

If the line had come out a bit earlier,before Star Wars and its ilk killed off the western toys, I really believe this line would be as beloved today as Johnny West and the Lone Ranger!!!

The packaging was pretty cheap, and I noticed these are starting to come apart. Have to dig out my other set and the horses to see how they are holding up? The plastic used on the bodies is getting kinda fragile as well.

Trooper Gibson and Ringo kickin' up a ruckus:

Too much rotgut can make a man do things he'll regret:

(Body shot to show design and articulation.)

Crammed pic showing Ringo's accessories, box side (both sides the same) and back (the top picture runs vertically on an upright box).

Crummy shot of my other boxed Ringo and Sundown Kid:

"Crayons taste like purple!"
  • MysteryWho
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 16, 2008

Thanks for the pics! These are some really cool figures. Trooper Gibson is flying low, but I don't want to be the guy that points it out to him. How big were these guys?

Comment

• Captain
      Fighting the good fight!
      • Jun 17, 2001

They are about 10" tall. Same scale as the Lone Ranger figures, only better bodies and more detailed. The horses are very similar in design to the LR stuff as well.

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

This was obviously a well made "me too" line meant to coincide with the Lone Ranger, I'm surprised they weren't hits in Europe.

I find much of the Western action figure lines of the 1970s really nice.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Captain
          Fighting the good fight!
          • Jun 17, 2001

Funny you mention Europe. Their are pictures floating about of a wagon, cannon,and another bad guy--a native character this time, who were all intended for the European release. I have heard the wagon made it to the toy shelves briefly, but nothing has been confirmed that I know of.

Comment

• Rextasy
            • Apr 25, 2010

Nicely detailed accessories, especially the guns. Sundown Kid's hair/five o'clock shadow combo ain't foolin' anybody, though.

Comment

• MysteryWho
              Persistent Member
              • Dec 16, 2008

My "research" indicates that Lone Ranger, Excel, and now Ready Gang are all comparable in scale. Is this scale compatible with Big Jim, or is he a little small? I have some Big Jim western stuff but I wouldn't mind throwing in a few of these other figures if they will display well together.

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                MeGoing
                • May 14, 2003

That neked one looks vaguely familiar to me...I think mehbe I got a neked one in a lot one time and thought who the hell is this? Thanks for the pics!

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎