X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Iron Mego
    Wake Up Heavy
    • Jan 31, 2010

One thing confuses me

Going through the WGT book, and all the packaging variations can get a little confusing. I have most of it figured out but can't for the life of me tell what denotes a "2nd Issue," box. Any clarification would be appreciated and will help my brain stop hurting!
    Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter
  • imp
    Mego Book Author
    • Apr 20, 2003

Originally posted by Iron Mego
    Going through the WGT book, and all the packaging variations can get a little confusing. I have most of it figured out but can't for the life of me tell what denotes a "2nd Issue," box. Any clarification would be appreciated and will help my brain stop hurting!
    Hi, I wrote the book and developed the nomenclature, so I'll jump in.

Basically, the "1st Issue" Boxes have illustrative head shots (busts) in the "World's Greatest Super-Heroes" masthead, while the "2nd Issue" Boxes have no character illustrations in the WGSH masthead.

Once the line exploded in popularity, and Mego knew they'd add myriad new characters, the busts drawings had to go; there would be no way to include them all.

I hope this helps.

-b

Comment

• Iron Mego
      Wake Up Heavy
      • Jan 31, 2010

Well, straight from the horse's mouth as they say. That totally clears it up, thanks a bunch, Ben. Whew, now I can continue reading without a furrowed brow, haha.
      Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

It's odd how Mego missed so much of that myriad in their production. To this day I am still puzzled over the exclusion of Flash and Lantern. Yet they took the time to retool a body and make the Teen Titans? That is just beyond odd.

Comment

• Iron Mego
          Wake Up Heavy
          • Jan 31, 2010

I think many of their decisions were odd. I.e. not updating things like gloves, etc. because of cost, yet creating a new head sculpt for Mr. Mxyl, the least popular character of the line. Odd indeed.
          Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• jordoom
            • Aug 2, 2011

Originally posted by Iron Mego
            I think many of their decisions were odd. I.e. not updating things like gloves, etc. because of cost, yet creating a new head sculpt for Mr. Mxyl, the least popular character of the line. Odd indeed.
            Correct me if I'm wrong but at the time wasn't the Mxyzptlyk head sculpt change due to parental concerns/complaints that the sneer made him look too "evil"?
            Last edited by jordoom; Aug 22, '11, 2:45 AM.

Comment

• imp
              Mego Book Author
              • Apr 20, 2003

Originally posted by jordoom
              Correct me if I'm wrong but at the time wasn't the Mxyzptlyk head sculpt change due to parental concerns/complaints that the sneer made him look too "evil"?
              I'm pretty sure this is an old 'wives tale' that was never corroborated by any former Mego employees (or people otherwise connected to Mego) whom I interviewed. Brian and Scott, did you ever unearth an answer on this? Neal Kublan had no definitive recollection, other than to suggest DC was likely involved in the creation of a revised head sculpt. I know Kublan's assistant had no memory of it.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

I know you prefer the first sculpt, Ben, but isn't it likely that it was just revised because it was so off-model? It is very Penguiny, while the revised sculpt resembles the stock art.

BTW, although scarce, the first Mxy sculpt can make a nice Golden-Age Mr. Mxyztplk...
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

And I quote:

NK: I really can't give you a definitive answer, I know there were two different heads. One of the things may have been that DC turned down the first head and we made some already and just kept shipping them, it's possible

I know he told me that the "Scared Children" thing was BS but it was just in conversation.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• jwyblejr
                    galactic yo-yo
                    • Apr 6, 2006

Yeah,that whole thing about scaring children makes no sense. It looks more like he's passing gas or something. You would think Hulk or Conan would be more scary.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

Conan does look pretty scary. And constipated, which can also be scary.
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PoorMansJB
                        • Nov 1, 2010

Well, his ratings have tanked since the initial TBS hype.

Or did you not mean Conan O'Brien?

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎