• Oct 28, 2005

Mold making video on youtube

here one of my friends showing a how to:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSH19G_6Yeo

there are other on youtube to help answer your question
  • Boywonder0
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 29, 2007

Thanks for spreading the words of wisdom!

Comment

• ddgaff1132
      Persistent Member
      • Oct 3, 2007

Thanks AAAAA. Checked em out and learned some cool tips. Also checked out the suply companys.
      Check out my picture library of Mego-ish compatible vehicles with ID data.
      MEGO MOTORS

Comment

• AAAAA
        Permanent Member
        • Oct 28, 2005

I tell you its easier than me trying to explain mold making and plastics, I check out quite a few of these and there pretty good include the amateur ones have something to offer.
        Last edited by AAAAA; Apr 23, '10, 3:59 PM.

Comment

• mazinz
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 2, 2007

thanks for the link! It really was very helpful (might look into a silicon mold).

let me ask you before I ruin my master (scupltey baked). If I want to make a mold of this guy (he is about 4-5" tall, to be cast in resin, no moving parts) is there some preferred method I should look into for the type of mold I would have to make (since it is a figure)?

or do you know of anyone I could pay to make a mold of him?

"What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

• AAAAA
            Permanent Member
            • Oct 28, 2005

Items like that, is usually broken down in to sections.to cast something in so many planes will require multiple Piece molds.(very tuff when dealing with soft mateiral like scupltey)
            there also the lost wax method sculp it again out of wax and with a diver medium on 2 plans of the model so you seperate the molds multiple pieces to get the object out ( Lubericated heavy paper) pour dental stone around it and heated and let the wax flow out.than cool and pour in the resin.
            Last edited by AAAAA; Apr 28, '10, 5:03 PM.

Comment

• Richard J. Fowlks
              repeat offender
              • Feb 10, 2010

That's a great video, always wanted to do molding and casting. Thanks!

Comment

• mazinz
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 2, 2007

Originally posted by AAAAA
                Items like that, is usually broken down in to sections.to cast something in so many planes will require multiple Piece molds.(very tuff when dealing with soft mateiral like scupltey)
                there also the lost wax method sculp it again out of wax and with a diver medium on 2 plans of the model so you seperate the molds multiple pieces to get the object out ( Lubericated heavy paper) pour dental stone around it and heated and let the wax flow out.than cool and pour in the resin.
                Thanks for the reply, though you kind of lost me a little I get the general idea. If it helps I baked the scuplty so the object is hard. Re-sculpting for me woul be out of the question since it was a miracle that I was even able to create the figure shown. Though I did not want to deal with it, I was thinking I could even use zubber,to create a mold in two parts (upper and lower half), but would much rather do a real proper method

Comment

• AAAAA
                  Permanent Member
                  • Oct 28, 2005

The proper med would be to do the arms , head & leg seprate and the body as a whole.
                  the same way they do garage kits. it would ensure success.

Comment

• mazinz
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 2, 2007

Originally posted by AAAAA
                    The proper med would be to do the arms , head & leg seprate and the body as a whole.
                    the same way they do garage kits. it would ensure success.
                    Is there some sort of safe way to "slice" through already baked sculpty?

Comment

• AAAAA
                      Permanent Member
                      • Oct 28, 2005

Originally posted by mazinz
                      Is there some sort of safe way to "slice" through already baked sculpty?
                      Precision Sawing And Delicate Cutting Tools |X-ACTO Extra Fine Saw Blade
                      Extra Fine Razor Saw Set | Extra Fine Saw Blade
                      Adjustable Jeweler's Saw | Jeweler's Saw Blade - X-ACTO
                      X-ACTO Small Mitre Box Set For Precision Cutting

X-ACTO | Office Tools | Hobby Tools | Knives Blades | Pencil Sharpeners

Comment

• mazinz
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 2, 2007

Thanks again! I would prob just remove a section of the tail and arms, the rest of him is kind of all in the same metrics in that if I had to pull this thing straight out of a mold it would not be a problem

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎