• batmanmc
    mego batman collector
    • Jun 22, 2004

i would love to see the dida displays made

Comment

• rikitikitavi
      Museum Mongoose
      • Aug 15, 2003

Yeah, it would be a shame if some of the original Mego toys retained their value. I look forward to the near future when my kids will have to wrest my grandchildren away from their total-immersion video games to come visit me and my shoddy reproductions of forty-year-old toys.
      Now, now, Ant! Have no fear Megos will hold their value. Just think if you could make cheap and shoddy reproductions of some collectors? The originals wouldn't change.

Comment

• ABMAC
        User
        • May 16, 2002

Originally posted by rikitikitavi
        Now, now, Ant! Have no fear Megos will hold their value.
        Have you priced Kirks and Klingons on eBay lately?

Just think if you could make cheap and shoddy reproductions of some collectors? The originals wouldn't change.
        Nice try, but the analogy doesn't hold up. Using our own Palitoy as an example:

Palitoy is accessible to all, at no cost. The shoddy Palitoy wannabe is also free of charge, but the quality is obviously inferior. Naturally, nobody cares about the opinions expressed on his forum by the imitation Palitoy; the imitation is only supported by undesirable people who don't have access to the original, and by people whose compulsion to "collect 'em all!" extends to shoddy knockoffs. The original Palitoy's value doesn't change, as you say, despite the availability of a repro.

If an inferior forum with easier access appeared in reaction to the original forum's access being denied to the majority of people, then it would thrive. Under those conditions, the value of the original would be greatly reduced.

Comment

• Meule
          Verbose Member
          • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by ABMAC
          Palitoy is accessible to all, at no cost. The shoddy Palitoy wannabe is also free of charge, but the quality is obviously inferior. Naturally, nobody cares about the opinions expressed on his forum by the imitation Palitoy; the imitation is only supported by undesirable people who don't have access to the original, and by people whose compulsion to "collect 'em all!" extends to shoddy knockoffs. The original Palitoy's value doesn't change, as you say, despite the availability of a repro.

That's no way to talk about Brian, he deserves better than that
          "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
            Moderation Engineer
            • Aug 14, 2003

I'd give the imitation Palitoys to all my kids for chew toys and possible future M-80 fodder:-)

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎