X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • apes3978
    Permanent Member
    • Nov 19, 2005

Partially degreying a head?

I have the boy from the OMBC line and he has three small "greying" spots: On his left eyebrow area, the tip of his nose, and the very base of his neck...

I looked at the tutorial about degreying an entire head by dipping it in Plasti-Dip, but since he's got the rooted hair, I can't do it that way... Does anyone know if following the tutorial but instead of dipping the entire head, just brushing Plasti-Dip over the affected areas will work? Would the degreyed areas look "off color" compared to the rest of him? I'm guessing not, but maybe an expert can verify this?
  • Bizarro Amy
    Formerly known as Del
    • Dec 12, 2004

I don't know if anyone else has a technique for brushing on Plasti-Dip, but I haven't had much luck with that. It clumps quickly enough that it sticks in the brush when I try. For such small spot, you might be able to do it with a brush you don't care about though. Maybe you could use cotton swabs or something. I degrayed my Invisible Girl's head by wrapping the hair in foil and being extremely careful to secure it around the hairline. Instead of actually dipping the head into the container, I put it on a dowling, holding it sideways. Then I poured the plasti-dip over the head, rotating it slowly.
    Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
    https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
    http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

• SeattleEd
      SynthoRes Transmigrator
      • Oct 24, 2007

I always dip the head. I used a pencil and the sharp end I would just jab into a box to hold and capture the drips.

BUT...I did this 4 years ago on an Erik Estrada head and it appears the gray comes back. Didn't last for me. But it looked great when I first de-grayed.

Comment

• Neutron X
        Persistent Member
        • Dec 22, 2007

If it's a blue grey, blue, or green color it could be the common mold that AT Gijoe heads have. If it's the same put acne medicine on it and put in a window for a week. Make sure it's not too hot ect. It takes a little while to kill the mold.

Comment

• apes3978
          Permanent Member
          • Nov 19, 2005

Actually, looking at it closer it does have a bluish tinge to it, so maybe it is the mold you're talking about... I'll probably try the acne medicine remedy first since it might be easier...

Is there any type of acne medicine you'd recommend?

Originally posted by Neutron X
          If it's a blue grey, blue, or green color it could be the common mold that AT Gijoe heads have. If it's the same put acne medicine on it and put in a window for a week. Make sure it's not too hot ect. It takes a little while to kill the mold.

Comment

• Bizarro Amy
            Formerly known as Del
            • Dec 12, 2004

Originally posted by apes3978
            Actually, looking at it closer it does have a bluish tinge to it, so maybe it is the mold you're talking about... I'll probably try the acne medicine remedy first since it might be easier...

Clearasil is often used to remove ink stains from vinyl heads. It's similar to the ingredients used in Removezit.

Check out my customs!

Comment

• Neutron X
              Persistent Member
              • Dec 22, 2007

Cheap stuff like Clearacil works best. Paste type stuff is what your looking for. I forgot to mention that acne medicine can bleach clothes ect. So I would rmove clothes to be safe also keep away from painted areas as it might remove paint. Practice on an old head is a good idea.

Comment

• rche
                channeling Bob Wills
                • Mar 26, 2008

Doesn't need to be the name brand Clerasil; you can use your local grocery store generic version and get the same results. Use a toothpick and dab the lotion on the bad spots. Leave it on there for 24 hours and see what it does to the spot. The pimple cream will remove paint and can bleach cloth goods, so just be sure to get it on the spot you want.
                I clean it off by wiping the area with a clean cloth and then washing the head with warm water and soap.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by del
                  Clearasil is often used to remove ink stains from vinyl heads. It's similar to the ingredients used in Removezit.
                  Hmmm, wish I had known that before I paid $23 for Remove-Zit.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Bizarro Amy
                    Formerly known as Del
                    • Dec 12, 2004

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                    Hmmm, wish I had known that before I paid $23 for Remove-Zit.
                    I've been under the impression that RemoveZit is a little more potent, so if it's a bad stain, maybe it will make a difference.

Check out my customs!

Comment

• Speedy
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 12, 2002

10% benzoyl peroxide is the key, the local dollar store stuff is all you need. Coat it, seal in ziploc bag and put it on the window sill where sun can get to it. I restored a Will Scarlett head but took almost 2 weeks, entire face was blue/black but now completely clear, the paint was ok also especially the eyes.

Comment

• shooby32
                        • Jun 1, 2007

Originally posted by apes3978

I dont think thats actually "mold" ... sometimes, as the metal molds age, tiny flecks of the metal come off and embed in the vinyl. The metal can oxydize and cause bluey- green spots ( think like old brass or copper). This sometimes has happened with vintage Barbies , so i would assume it could happen in other lines.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎