X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Meule
    Verbose Member
    • Nov 14, 2004

Looks like a perfect fit, far from the football helmet syndrom
    "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• fossilfuse
      Museum Super Collector
      • Oct 27, 2008

Awesome sculpting. Are those Castaway boots? How did you get them on the body and suit?

Comment

• vulcan2074
        Live Long and Prosper
        • Mar 23, 2008

That cowl fits Perfect.
        Sammy

Comment

• darklord1967
          Persistent Member
          • Mar 27, 2008

Originally posted by fossilfuse
          Awesome sculpting. Are those Castaway boots? How did you get them on the body and suit?
          Thanks. No, those are NOT Castaway boots. They are actually MEGO (Mr. Fantastic) originals.
          I... am an action figure customizer

Comment

• Captain_Mego
            Vet.
            • May 22, 2007

Hey the bat project looks great dude. Outstanding work my friend.

Comment

• sprytel
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 26, 2009

I absolutely love this thread. It is so cool to see how projects like these come together. And I love where you are going with Batman. Keep the updates coming, please!

Comment

• Jason73
                Correctamundo!
                • Jan 11, 2009

Really nice work. The cowl looks amazing.
                Happy Days-Mego Style

Comment

• Jerry68
                  Persistent Member
                  • Feb 12, 2008

Awesome job! I guess yo just have to connect the sides and the jaw now. Great work!
                  sigpic

Comment

• supes
                    For the love of Mego's!
                    • Jan 19, 2004

Anything new to update? Love how it is coming along, can't wait to see it finished!

For the love of Mego's

Comment

• darklord1967
                      Persistent Member
                      • Mar 27, 2008

As some of my friends here in the customizing community know, I was forced to take a long break from customizing about 5 years ago due to serious respiratory illness caused by some of the toxic materials I used in my customizing work... but mostly caused by my own stupidity in not taking proper precautions during my work. What saddened me most was that I had just begun a return to the hobby when the illness struck. I also fell into something of a depression due to the murder of one of my students at the high school where I was teaching.

Over the last several years, I've busied myself with other ambitious projects. Some of you may even be aware of the stage play I produced with my performing arts students chronicling the creation of the Batman mythology by Bob Kane and Bill Finger.

But the truth is, I've always felt the tug of the "unfinished business" I started here years ago in the world of MEGO customizing. I vowed that I would complete that business one way or the other.

So... here I am.

I've been taking care of myself. And now, thanks to vigilant maintenance, I am now virtually free of the breathing issue I was suffering from. My doctor has given me a clean bill of health to resume my hobby duties so long as I work in very well ventilated areas and use a high quality respirator anytime I spray or grind any material (like resin) into fine dust.

I am attempting to return to this hobby (once again) in order so that I may (once and for all) complete this project which has had it's earliest origins dating back to my MEGO Christmas morning of 1975. But more than anything, I am returning in order to meet all of the talented new friends that have come along since my departure.

It's great to be back.
                      Last edited by darklord1967; Mar 5, '15, 2:26 PM.

Comment

• darklord1967
                        Persistent Member
                        • Mar 27, 2008

I've been asked about the body parts used for making my custom "Bruce Wayne".

The torso and ball-socket shoulders (as I recall) were taken from the Jakk's Paciffic John Morrison figure.

I adapted (resin-cast) "bulging biceps" to the ball-jointed shoulders of the Morrison figure (for mid-bicep swivel). It was then a simple matter of attaching MEGO male forearms to the elbow joints. The fist hands are the superb ones that were once offered by Castaway toys.

The MEGO male type 2 mid-torso ball socket was transferred to the underside of the Morrison torso. Next was a modified resin pelvis, and a pair of Jakk's Paciffic thighs surgically attached to MEGO ball hip sockets, and resin knees and shins. The figure stands on MEGO feet.

All resin body parts castings were provided by my very, very good friend Fred Goodspeed!
                        Last edited by darklord1967; Mar 5, '15, 1:59 PM.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                          Talkative Member
                          • Jun 20, 2011

I just saw this thread and the custom Batman work you were/are doing. The figure looked great when you started it and cowl was killer, really capturing Batman's likeness. I wish you the best of luck in venturing back into your endeavours and really look forward to what else you bring to the table in the future!
                          sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• darklord1967
                            Persistent Member
                            • Mar 27, 2008

Being forever vigilant that the final figure NOT suffer from the "football helmet syndrome" that is often associated with removable cowls, i decided to do a preliminary "dress up" of this figure (on the custom body I've developed) using an old, tattered MEGO bodysuit, the final utility belt I made, some MEGO Mr. Fantastic boots, and a simple bat cape I made.

Naturally, the final figure will wear nice form-fitted spandex tights, leathery trunks, cape, gauntlets, and boots, and the removable cowl will be completed (seamlessly) with the fabric-made neck portion allowing for full articulation of the figure's ball-jointed neck.

Comment

• darklord1967
                              Persistent Member
                              • Mar 27, 2008

Thanks a ton for the warm welcome back, emeraldknight47!

Comment

• SeattleEd
                                SynthoRes Transmigrator
                                • Oct 24, 2007

Glad you are better and I've experienced the same with dust from resin and Magic Sculpt. Need to ventilate and wear a mask more.

Always a pleasure to see your work in progress and completion.

Cheers!

Ed

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎