Page 1 of 12 123611 ... LastLast

Thread: Re-Visiting Custom BATMAN!!

Re-Visiting Custom BATMAN!!

11 years ago, I jumped into MEGO customizing with classic versions of The Batman and Robin and some of their supporting characters.

Slowly, I've been re-visiting that entire group of Gotham City denizens (based on their comic book appearances).

The Batman / Bruce Wayne is always fun to create as a custom MEGO figure, and MANY customizers have done so.

Now, I'll go into MUCH, MUCH greater detail tomorrow and in the coming days... with many, many more photos. But for now, here is the direction that my re-visit of The Caped Crusader is currently proceeding in...

An all-new, more anatomically- balanced, and more poseable "hero" body. It is an actual 8.25 inches in height while nude (not 7-3/4 inches like a nude MEGO male). At 1:9 scale, 8 inches equals a 74 inch real-life height (6 feet 2 inches). As with my other custom developed bodies, this one follows a much more accurate comparative scale with other characters in the series.

A preliminary sculpt of the all-new removable Bat-Cowl...

Last edited by darklord1967; Apr 3, '17 at 9:36 AM.
    I... am an action figure customizer

Images
    Blog Entries
    Porbably thr best removable cowl I have scene.
    Kuddo's Bud.
    ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Images
    I love seeing these kit-bashes/Frankenstein modifications - really shows off the talent and skill, as well as the creativity, of some of the customizers here. Great stuff, Darklord! Let me know if you mass-produce these bad boys!
    "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Wow! That looks fantastic. That torso is gorgeous. Love the removable cowl.

SC

Images
    Totally cool cowl. Can't wait to see more in process pix.

Images
    That removable cowl is fantastic. Wish you worked for mattel.

Images
    Roberto he looks fabulous!
    Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
    Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
    1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
    1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Images
    Blog Entries
    Can't wait to see him finished, and would love to see him driving around that Batmobile you were working on.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbolt View Post
    Can't wait to see him finished, and would love to see him driving around that Batmobile you were working on.

Me too!!

This DARN recession!! I'm forced to work on less costly projects (like these custom action figure re-visits), and much less so on the expensive Batmobile.

Quote Originally Posted by madmarva View Post
    Wish you worked for mattel.
    So do I. From the inside, I'd have gotten my beloved BATMOBILE project produced long ago. THEY obviously have a licence to produce toys based on the 1966 TV Batmobile. And their 1/18 scale car was INCREDIBLE!

But I doubt that they'll ever go there for their new line of 8 inch action figures. And even if they did, it would probably be approached with the same "retro" MEGO style that the current figures are being produced in (tiny, off-scale car with minimal detail, and minimal features). That's just NOT what I'm going for.
    Last edited by darklord1967; Apr 24, '11 at 4:36 AM.

As a boy and avid Batman fan, growing up in the early 1970’s, I obsessed over owning a MEGO action figure of my favorite character.

Yes, I was fully aware of the campy Adam West TV show, and I thoroughly enjoyed watching the TV adventures every afternoon after school.

But it was the dark, grim, mysterious character from the COMIC BOOKS that most intrigued me.

There was something about the HUGE cape (much, much bigger than Adam West’s), the long ears and the blank eye slits on the Bat-Cowl, that really spoke to me. This Batman stalked around at night on Gotham City’s rooftops and scared the bejeesus out of criminals by crashing through skylights and beating them to a pulp.

No corny, campy jokes. No ridiculously convenient gadgets pulled out of his utility belt for just the right situation. No “fully deputized agent of the law”.

This was a masked manhunter… an unstoppable, vigilante creature of the night.

Last edited by darklord1967; Apr 3, '17 at 9:26 AM.