X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Shaking hands with Buck

Headed over to the Toronto Comic Con yesterday with my son, purpose was to take in the chaos, do some shopping and of course, meet Buck Rogers himself, Gil Gerard.

Well, I failed on the shopping aspect but once I got through the several hundred washed up wrestlers ( the WWE needs a job retraining program) I found Gerard sitting there, looking amazing for a man in his 60s. I'm always timid about the celebrity thing, I've had a few rough eperiences and let's just say I'm not the biggest fan of a certain sith lord anymore.

Those reservations were cast aside when Gerard offered his hand and said "Hi I'm Gil". I loved Buck Rogers as a kid, so it was geeky cool to get him to sign my Mego action figure, I was more awkward than normal. I already owned the figure, so the signature is the only thing I got (my son however is another story) but it's still my favourite haul in a long time.
    For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • SlipperyLilSuckers
    MeGoing
    • May 14, 2003

What a cool story!

Comment

• cjefferys
      Duke of Gloat
      • Apr 23, 2006

Very cool, and nice to see that he was a nice guy. What was his reaction (if any) to your Buck figure?

Comment

• highquality
        #1 Super Guy
        • Jun 10, 2003

Great story. Nice to know he's one of the kinder celebs.
        WorldMEGO: Where MEGOs Go! 24 Hours a Day

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

Always cool to meet your childhood heroes and have them act accordingly. I've been lucky, I've yet to have a bad experience, even with some folks others have complained about (including that certain Sith Lord, who I played gofer for when he visited the comic shop I used to work at). But like you, I kind of limit my exposure to them, in the fear that my memories will be sullied. Gerard always seemed like a pretty mellow guy. Glad to see it worked out well!!!

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• HardyGirl
            Mego Museum's Poster Girl
            • Apr 3, 2007

Cool! I loved that show back then (still do!) It's great when celebs meet your expectations. I've never had a bad experience either, they've all been great. But something about meeting one of your childhood faves that makes you feel 8 years old again. Gotta love that!
            "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
            'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
            Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
            If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• BOTZWANA
              spam
              • May 28, 2009

Well....I am more of a fan of those washed up wrestlers than Gil. Do you have any pics of them? Or who was there?

Comment

• ScottA
                Original Member
                • Jun 25, 2001

Now that's so cool. Glad you both had a good time.
                sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• toys2cool
                  Ultimate Mego Warrior
                  • Nov 27, 2006

awesome
                  "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                  My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• MysteryWho
                    Persistent Member
                    • Dec 16, 2008

I decided to skip the Con 'cause I heard it was a snore and I thought it was too expensive. The ONLY reason I considered going was to see Gil Gerard and Erin Grey. However, I don't think they were doing scheduled talks like at FanExpo, which is what I prefer, and I don't usually collect autographs. Now I'm jealous.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                      galactic yo-yo
                      • Apr 6, 2006

You should have asked the WWE guys why they weren't employed by TNA with the rest of the WWE has-beens.

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by cjefferys
                        Very cool, and nice to see that he was a nice guy. What was his reaction (if any) to your Buck figure?
                        He chuckled at it and said "Oh you've got the figure and everything".

He then gave me too much change, I gave it back to him and he said to my kid "You're dad's an honest man".

You should have asked the WWE guys why they weren't employed by TNA with the rest of the WWE has-beens.
                        I'm not sure what TNA is, never been a wrestling guy. It was overkill, two packed aisles of these guys and they were all like carnival barkers, bugging you as you walked by. I don't know why so many of them were there.
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• wilbs518
                          Mego Collector
                          • Jul 25, 2009

Very cool.
                          sigpic

Comment

• cjefferys
                            Duke of Gloat
                            • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by palitoy

I'm not sure what TNA is, never been a wrestling guy. It was overkill, two packed aisles of these guys and they were all like carnival barkers, bugging you as you walked by. I don't know why so many of them were there.
                            At the Toronto Fan Expo last year, there were two retired wrestlers signing autographs in one of the aisles and their "handler" was like that too, harassing everyone trying to walk by, yelling that everyone should be thrilled that these "legends" would sign autographs for them. The wrestlers themselves were yelling at the passersby too, most people were trying to ignore them, just trying to squeeze through the crowed aisles to look at the dealers' tables. This sounds even worse, two aisles full of these guys? I would have kept far away.

Comment

• bizzaro megomauler
                              WANTED for card bending
                              • Apr 26, 2008

I have met quite a few, and only 1 was a dick, that was Dave Mustaine, almost got physical too, after him being a snobby *****, I yelled his name, and when he turned I told him "Metallica rules" he tried to get at me swinging, will never forget it. On the other hand most recently met Henry Rollins, what a classy gent.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎