X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HardyGirl
    Mego Museum's Poster Girl
    • Apr 3, 2007

Originally posted by mitchedwards
    The one thing I remember about that thermos is it had a glass liner. I dropped my lunch box in either 1st or 2nd grade and the liner broke.
    Awww, that sucks! Mine is one of the later ones, no glass.
    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Adam West
      Museum CPA
      • Apr 14, 2003

Originally posted by HardyGirl
      Awww, that sucks! Mine is one of the later ones, no glass.
      During the early 70's, lunchbox companies were switching from glass lined thermoses to plastic thermoses.

There are quite a few lunchboxes where there was both a glass lined and plastic thermos...usually on the EBAY market the glass lined thermos will sell much higher.
      "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
      ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• Adam West
        Museum CPA
        • Apr 14, 2003

Originally posted by Hector
        I also won this auction yesterday...another great deal...

SUPERMAN LUNCH BOX W/Thermos! 1967 (NO RESERVE) - eBay (item 140393403769 end time Mar-29-10 15:21:56 PDT)

I have been following the Superman lunchboxes like a hawk...only going for the best deals possible...

If you continue collecting; pay special attention to condition. Similar to Mego's, the better the condition, the price goes up exponentially.

I would probably rate the box at a C-7 which is about a grade lower than a
        C-8 which is what the price guide books base their prices on. The rust on the clasps, rim wear, and it's missing the thermos clip along with the inside wear is what would cause the grade to go down a bit.

The thermos looks likes it is in great shape and although I haven't been collecting boxes for years, someone would have paid $75 for the thermos alone.

As some of other box collectors will tell you, there is a bit of controversy surrounding cleaning up boxes. Some collectors will pay premiums if you put a little elbow grease into them while some purists say it diminishes the value.

I have always cleaned up every box I have purchased. If you want to clean it up a bit (your preference), you can shine the metal clasps and remove most of the rust with chrome polisher which can be purchased at Wal-Mart.

I usually would wash the box gently with warm soapy water and dry with a cotton rag. I would then place a coat of high quality wax on the box (I like Zymol...again can be purchased at Wal-Mart). You will be shocked at the difference.

For the thermos, you should unscrew the glass liner, wash and wax the thermos as well. If it looks like there is rust and is going to require some force, just spray a little WD-40 and it should unscrew relatively easily.

Some collectors would even cover the rust on the inside with white rustoleum but I personally don't like it. The main thing is they are made of metal and you want to prevent the box from rusting further which is why I recommend the cleaning and wax (it looks nicer too).

The person who was accredited with starting the lunchbox collecting craze was Larry Aikens (I think that was his name). He used to sell a product called Aikens cleaner which he swore did everything from remove rust to shine and seal the box. I have tried it and it never did what he claimed. It also wasn't some kind of magic concoction. It smelled like a combination of some type of linoleum and wax. I believe Aikens sold his entire collection off at some point (he had a warehouse full of lunchboxes) and I don't know who currently has it.

It is a fun hobby but can get very expensive just like anything else. One thing I love about the 80's super hero boxes is that they are generally common and if you are patient, can pick up mint boxes fairly cheap. I don't know if it is still the case but at one point, you could pick up the Super Powers box still with tags and sticker on it for about $40. Most everyone was chasing the grail boxes like the Beatles Blue Box, Superman 1954, Star Trek Dome, etc. so it was fun to cherry pick mint lunchboxes on the cheap.

If you need any other advice, feel free to send me a PM.
        "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
        ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• Remco Monster
          GLOWS in the Dark!
          • May 3, 2006

The KISS lunchbox. Still have mine from when I was a kid.

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Adam West
            If you continue collecting; pay special attention to condition. Similar to Mego's, the better the condition, the price goes up exponentially.

I would probably rate the box at a C-7 which is about a grade lower than a
            C-8 which is what the price guide books base their prices on. The rust on the clasps, rim wear, and it's missing the thermos clip along with the inside wear is what would cause the grade to go down a bit.

The thermos looks likes it is in great shape and although I haven't been collecting boxes for years, someone would have paid $75 for the thermos alone.

As some of other box collectors will tell you, there is a bit of controversy surrounding cleaning up boxes. Some collectors will pay premiums if you put a little elbow grease into them while some purists say it diminishes the value.

I have always cleaned up every box I have purchased. If you want to clean it up a bit (your preference), you can shine the metal clasps and remove most of the rust with chrome polisher which can be purchased at Wal-Mart.

I usually would wash the box gently with warm soapy water and dry with a cotton rag. I would then place a coat of high quality wax on the box (I like Zymol...again can be purchased at Wal-Mart). You will be shocked at the difference.

For the thermos, you should unscrew the glass liner, wash and wax the thermos as well. If it looks like there is rust and is going to require some force, just spray a little WD-40 and it should unscrew relatively easily.

Some collectors would even cover the rust on the inside with white rustoleum but I personally don't like it. The main thing is they are made of metal and you want to prevent the box from rusting further which is why I recommend the cleaning and wax (it looks nicer too).

The person who was accredited with starting the lunchbox collecting craze was Larry Aikens (I think that was his name). He used to sell a product called Aikens cleaner which he swore did everything from remove rust to shine and seal the box. I have tried it and it never did what he claimed. It also wasn't some kind of magic concoction. It smelled like a combination of some type of linoleum and wax. I believe Aikens sold his entire collection off at some point (he had a warehouse full of lunchboxes) and I don't know who currently has it.

It is a fun hobby but can get very expensive just like anything else. One thing I love about the 80's super hero boxes is that they are generally common and if you are patient, can pick up mint boxes fairly cheap. I don't know if it is still the case but at one point, you could pick up the Super Powers box still with tags and sticker on it for about $40. Most everyone was chasing the grail boxes like the Beatles Blue Box, Superman 1954, Star Trek Dome, etc. so it was fun to cherry pick mint lunchboxes on the cheap.

If you need any other advice, feel free to send me a PM.
            Major thanks for all that great info...I will follow your advice on cleaning and preserving these things.

But I'm just interested in the Superman ones...I have the 54, 67, 78...the 80s Super Powers...and I only need the Super Friends...and that's it...those are the only vintage lunch boxes with Superman...that would finalize my lunch box collection...until of course...if I upgrade...then I'll definitely do that.

Thanks again!

Hec
            sigpic

Comment

• Brue
              User without title
              • Sep 29, 2005

My favorite is my original star wars box. i used it for 5 or 6 years at lunch tehn stored my megos in it during the years i wasn't into them. now i use the box daily for lunch. it is the same box pictured center of Batista's living room on page one of this thread

Comment

• Thor
                Thunder God
                • Dec 17, 2009

Originally posted by Brue
                My favorite is my original star wars box. i used it for 5 or 6 years at lunch tehn stored my megos in it during the years i wasn't into them. now i use the box daily for lunch. it is the same box pictured center of Batista's living room on page one of this thread
                My thoughts exactly!
                sigpic

"I've seen things you wouldn't believe."

- Roy Batty

Comment

• mego73
                  Printed paperboard Tiger
                  • Aug 1, 2003

KISS, Star Wars and Space:1999 were my lunch boxes. Wish they had the Trek dome lunch box when I was a kid.

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                    Permanent Member
                    • Sep 15, 2014

My favorites are the super friends, star trek dome , and 1966 batman.

Comment

• megoapesnut
                      The name says it all!
                      • Dec 3, 2007

Here they are

Comment

• TMANSTOYS
                        CALLING ALL DUKES !!
                        • May 12, 2011

Evel Knievel !!!
                        "JUST 2 GOOD OLE BOYS,NEVER MEANING NO HARM "

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                          Museum Paramedic
                          • Aug 31, 2005

Shockingly, my favorite lunchboxes were both of those "Emergency!" lunchboxes.

- Ian
                          Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                            valar morghulis
                            • Mar 8, 2005

Lots of lunchboxes in this thread that I had and loved, but haven't seen this one mentioned.. it was a particular fave!

Comment

• Mongoose1983
                              Career Member
                              • May 14, 2010

Originally posted by vintage spideyfan
                              I've always been partial to the Alladin Universal Movie Monsters lunchbox.

That was the one I had when I was a kid, and it will remain as my all-time favorite!

Two other ones I liked back then were the Lunchboxes for the Bee Gees and KISS, the greatest bands back in the day.

And this one I would love to have!

And... later on in the 80's I'll have to admit this was my favorite "lunchbox"

www.tamiyaclub.com/member.asp?id=23692

Comment

• HardyGirl
                                Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                                • Apr 3, 2007

Originally posted by megoapesnut
                                Here they are

I have that Hardy Boys lunchbox! (But that doesn't surprise you, does it?
                                "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                                'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                                Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                                If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎