X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by Hector
    Hey Mike...I know you had a huge lunchbox collection.

Did you sell them all?
    Yea, Hector

Unfortunately they all had to go a few years ago.

Comment

• HardyGirl
      Mego Museum's Poster Girl
      • Apr 3, 2007

As a kid, I was lunchbox deprived. My mother just didn't see the point when a paper bag would do just as well, and I couldn't lose it. My friend took pity on me and gave me her Bobby Sherman lunchbox when I was in 4th grade (the time I stopped eating school lunches). Then right before 6th grade, I saw a Bionic Woman lunchbox in the back-to-school display at the grocery store. I even had my own money to pay for it. But y'know what Mom's answer to this was? "You already have a lunchbox."

Of course, this is why I collect them now, and whenever I eat lunch w/ my kids, I bring one. (usually one of my newer ones) Now I have:

SMDM (1st version)
      Hardy Boys
      Star Trek (catalog repro)
      Star Trek (gift shop special)
      The Monkees (catalog)
      Fame
      Star Trek TNG
      Tom Corbett, Space Cadet (Target repro)
      Knight Rider
      SchoolHouse Rock (catalog)
      a generic planet Mars lunchbox (Chabot Space and Science Center giftshop)
      "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
      'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
      Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
      If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• johnnystorm
        Hot Child in the City
        • Jul 3, 2008

Had a Batman one in the '60s (and no it's long gone and now out of my price range to replace), then a Rat Patrol one (which I still have but in super-rusty condition). Later on I had (briefly) a Partridge Family box my Mom got me because I liked the show...until I used it as a sled one day on the way home and destroyed it. Last lunch box I had, replaced with paper bags after that.
        Favorite ones that I found later on but never actually used were the Evel Knieval, Super Friends, & Marvel Super-Heroes. I'd like to find a decent priced Indiana Jones & Robin Hood one.

Comment

• jessica
          fortune favors the bold
          • Nov 5, 2007

I wanted to be grown up so I had the most boring lunchbox ever. I wish I had a Planet of the Apes one.
          Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
          Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
          1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
          1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• Megospidey
            Museum Webslinger
            • Jul 26, 2006

My favorite was the Road Runner and Coyote...still have it.

My second favorite was the Marvel Superheroes...

Third - Disney's Jungle Book.

Comment

• Joe90
              Most Special Agent
              • Feb 23, 2008

I remember this one. I wanted it badly...

I remember getting one of these second hand as a kid. It was a little knicked and scratched but it was still very cool...

90, Joe 90.... Great Shakes : Milk Chocolate -- Shaken, not Stirred.

Comment

• TEXASFETT
                #1 Bounty Hunter
                • Aug 29, 2008

My favorite one was Knight Rider....I thought I was all billy badass in elementary. I wanted a Kiss one so bad my mom said no!!!

Comment

• david_b
                  Never had enough toys..
                  • May 9, 2008

Originally posted by Megospidey
                  My favorite was the Road Runner and Coyote...still have it.

My second favorite was the Marvel Superheroes...

Third - Disney's Jungle Book.
                  I was stuck with the Road Runner and Coyote one in grade school.. I REALLY wanted Batman and Robin, Green Hornet, Marvel Superheroes, or any kind of cool hero. FINALLY got the smaller, collectable 60s Batman along with the Joe Astronaut one.

I would have given my left *** for any of those as a kid..

david_b
                  Peace.. Through Superior Firepower.

Comment

• wilbs518
                    Mego Collector
                    • Jul 25, 2009

Marvel Super Heroes
                    DC Heroes
                    Empire Strikes Back
                    sigpic

Comment

• vintage spideyfan
                      Web Wobbler
                      • May 12, 2007

I've always been partial to the Alladin Universal Movie Monsters lunchbox.

Some more shots of this beauty...
                      Universals Movie Monsters Lunchbox | CollectionDX
                      Looking for MOC Pocket Super Heroes...
                      Good Trader List

Comment

• boss
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jun 18, 2003

Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• Mikey
                          Verbose Member
                          • Aug 9, 2001

Not as a rule, but in general I always favored Aladdin boxes over King Seeley boxes.

Aladdin used rich colors and had great artwork - almost like a movie poster.

KST favored more pastel colors and sometimes their art was was a little plain.
                          Last edited by Mikey; Mar 25, '10, 9:01 AM.

Comment

• toys2cool
                            Ultimate Mego Warrior
                            • Nov 27, 2006

my He-man and Gi joe ones from when I was a kid
                            "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                            My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Adam West
                              Museum CPA
                              • Apr 14, 2003

Originally posted by Mikey01
                              Not as a rule, but in general I always favored Aladdin boxes over King Seeley boxes.

Aladdin used rich colors and had great artwork - almost like a movie poster.

KST favored more pastel colors and sometimes their art was was a little plain.
                              Aladdin also introduced the 3-D lunchbox which is are the boxes with the impressed images. They are really hard to find in high grade condition.

I have a large collection of vintage lunch boxes that unfortunately are sitting in storage boxes because my kids were too young when I was collecting them and now that I can display them, I haven't had time to create a display shelf.

I only owned two lunchboxes when I was a kid....Adam-12 and Washington Redskins. I think my actual boxes were pitched so I ended up purchasing replacements. The Redskins lunchbox is actually quite rare and at least as far as lunchboxes go, usually sell for quite a bit of money because it isn't an easy box to find and is a cross-collectible.

By far, my favorite box of all time is 1954 Superman. The graphics are just incredible. I actually ended up buying it from someone on Ebay who happened to live about 20 minutes from my home but he was asking way too much for it so no one bid on it. I asked him if I could come up and take a look at it and possibly make him an offer and he agreed. The box was in excellent condition (better than his pictures on Ebay and would probably grade a C-8 to C-8.5). He actually used it when he was a kid and when his mother died he inherited some furniture and found it packed away in a drawer. I told him the box was worth $800 easy (at least at the time when I bought it) but told him that I really couldn't afford that kind of money. He asked me how much I could afford, I said $400 and he agreed to sell it to me because he saw that I was just a collector and being completely honest with him. Plus he said it made him feel good to know that a box that belonged to him would be appreciated by someone like me.

Star Trek '66 is an excellent dome box and I have a lot of other favorites.

As a side note, when I was collecting, '60's boxes were going through the roof, '70's boxes were just starting to climb in value, and nobody wanted '80's boxes. I do have a He-man lunchbox that is mint with tags and I think I paid $15 for it. I realize that lunch boxes have fallen in value since I was collecting them but in hindsight, I should have bought up a bunch of mint 1980's boxes that nobody wanted at the time. I'm sure that He-man box would fetch way more than what I paid for it.
                              "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
                              ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• wayne foundation 07
                                Time to feed the cat
                                • Dec 30, 2007

I think it would have been 3rd or 4th grade I had an Incredible Hulk box.I remember talking milk to school in the thermos and ruined it.Always loved that box really colorful.
                                Last edited by wayne foundation 07; Mar 27, '10, 4:28 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎