Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megozilla13
    Persistent Member
    • May 10, 2002

If the switches improve the figure, I'm all for it. I rather have a mint green arrow with a mint unbroken quiver that came from another green arrow, than a green arrow with his "original" broken quiver. And even if the switch was disclosed, I would never consider it NOT original. Would anyone value the broken one more because it was originally packed with the figure?

mikej
    WANTED: Removable Mask ROBIN on Kresge style card

Comment

• sauce
      Removed
      • Jun 24, 2007

^^^I agree with you that I would prefer the mint and unbroken parts from another original source.

Comment

• dumbldor
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 9, 2002

Nothing against those that are in disagreement, but I do 100% agree with Mike J. A Blackbeard sword is a Zorro sword, and vice versa. As long as it is original, they are indistinguishable. Once they are no longer MIB or MOC, does it really matter if a like for like change or donation of an ORIGINAL factory part is made?

I also like the example of the broken GA bow. A GA bow is a GA bow, and a Robin Hood bow is also a GA bow, and vice versa, once they are loose from the package. How could you possibly know for sure which original figure it came from? And I am always for an upgrade, even if it comes from another original Mego figure. I don't get the counter argument at all, but to each his own.

Comment

• ctc
          Fear the monkeybat!
          • Aug 16, 2001

>unless it is SEALED on a card or in a box, you will NEVER know for sure!

Yeah. I think you're starting to get into stuff that's indistinguishable. A Blackbeard sword and a Zorro sword may come from different figures, but they're exactly the same composition-wise. Unless you were gifted with the paranormal power of psychometry you'd never know. 'Course, I guess that's partly why MIB figures go for more.

Don C.

Comment

• kryptosmaster
            Removed.
            • Jun 14, 2008

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
            Your example of MY logic is false, so please speak for yourself and not me. I in no way implied this. Original SI is original SI. Duh! Just like I was saying...Your point of my view is a worthless opinion.
            Books NOT on Lonnie's shelf:

Oh, and before you flip out; I'm just messing with you. I actually agree with a lot of what you say (silently) but you have this way of saying things that seems to get you on some people's nerves.

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
            I could tell re-strung figures. And I'm pretty sure Bryan could too. You can't find the EXACT elastic. It might be close, but not exact.

If you're that anal that you'd take apart a figure and get a magnifying glass out to check the elastic then you have other more pressing things to worry about.

Originally posted by megozilla13
            My example is based on exactly what you wrote.....

thus a Zorro with a sword derived from a Blackbeard figure is NOT original according to you. If thats not what you meant, then you should explain yourself better.

mikej
            Yep.

Originally posted by MegoNutt
            I've gotta agree here. In the strictest sense, if that particular sword did not originally come with that particular Zorro, it is not original. Original Mego yes, but not original Zorro. In the strictest sense, it doesn't matter if everything was made at the same time, in the same factory, and both Zorro and Blackbeard were packed with the same sword. If Zorro doesn't have THE sword that he was originally packed with at the factory and stuffed in his little Zorro box, he is not original. Original Mego yes, not original Zorro.
            You have every right to feel that way but it's flawed logic. If something that petty bothers you then you shouldn't buy loose figures.

Originally posted by megozilla13
            If the switches improve the figure, I'm all for it. I rather have a mint green arrow with a mint unbroken quiver that came from another green arrow, than a green arrow with his "original" broken quiver. And even if the switch was disclosed, I would never consider it NOT original. Would anyone value the broken one more because it was originally packed with the figure?

mikej
            Thank you.
            I actually have one comment on this though. If the broken bow (for example) was my ORIGINAL bow from my childhood then I would keep it with that figure just because it has more SENTIMENTAL value to me. Of course I would never sell it so it doesn't really pertain directly to the discussion at hand.

Originally posted by dumbldor
            I don't get the counter argument at all, but to each his own.
            I actually do understand it. It's called OCD and I have a couple of friends who have it BAD. One can't function if even ONE small part of his daily routine gets derailed and the other led to her husband divorcing her because he couldn't take it anymore.

Rich
            Last edited by kryptosmaster; Mar 23, '10, 2:13 AM.

Comment

• sauce
              Removed
              • Jun 24, 2007

Rich, if this book isn't on your shelf, then I highly recommend it:

Comment

• kryptosmaster
                Removed.
                • Jun 14, 2008

Originally posted by nayrbgo
                Rich, if this book isn't on your shelf, then I highly recommend it:
                http://anoukange.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/zen.jpeg
                I looked up the synopsis on Wiki. Doesn't interest me but thanks for the recommend.
                Rich

Comment

• clemso
                  Talkative Member
                  • Aug 8, 2001

On the Zorro sword, I don't mind if I knew it was an original Blackbeard, if they are identical factory made original vintage Mego parts that is fine by me. The exceptions might be the example given of the Parker Shoes where they have been replaced with AJ ones with pin holes. I wouldn't get all anal about it but, if you can tell, then there lies the problem.

Comment

• dumbldor
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 9, 2002

I thought I was the most OCD person here.

Someone wrote that if the legacy of all the parts means that much to someone, then collect packaged figures, not loose. I think there is a lot of validity to that thought. Of course, there are a whole host of other issues with collecting MOC or MIB.

Comment

• palitoy
                      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                      • Jun 16, 2001

I'm now holding auditions for "Baggies: The Musical", I'll be playing Mike J.
                      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• sauce
                        Removed
                        • Jun 24, 2007

I'd like to audition for the part of "old and crusty tape adhesive residue"

Comment

• clemso
                          Talkative Member
                          • Aug 8, 2001

Originally posted by palitoy
                          I'm now holding auditions for "Baggies: The Musical", I'll be playing Mike J.
                          Who wants to play Polythene Pam

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                            Moderation Engineer
                            • Aug 14, 2003

Don't lump restringing a T1 figure in with this argument - it's an entirely different concept. I know plenty of discriminating collectors who prefer that their T1s have original elastic. The process of taking a pile of T1 parts and restringing them with similar cord available from Joann's is a *repair.* Nothing OCD about it, and apples and oranges as far as this debate goes.

Personally, I don't care if my Superman has Cap boots, or if my Romulan has a Klingon phaser.
                            Last edited by EMCE Hammer; Mar 23, '10, 11:55 AM. Reason: grammar mother****er

Comment

• clemso
                              Talkative Member
                              • Aug 8, 2001

Dear Ocd'ers, Price sticker or no price sticker?

Comment

• vulcan2074
                                Live Long and Prosper
                                • Mar 23, 2008

Originally posted by clemso
                                Dear Ocd'ers, Price sticker or no price sticker?
                                I dig price stickers as long as there not hideous
                                Sammy

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎