X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clemso
    Talkative Member
    • Aug 8, 2001

Baggies, the facts!

After the recent SI Baggie thread, what are the baggie facts and opinions.
    Are Mad Monster baggies the same as American West, what other baggies are the same?
    Does anyone really even care if its just a clear bag?
    Provenance? Honestly how can you even prove the bag is really the bag, if you know what i mean.
  • Orlock
    Megohead Superdad
    • Feb 15, 2010

I know this whole discussion over this had me going "ehhhh..." and feeling a tad bit uncomfortable when the "switched baggies" gauntlet was thrown down. I always thought it was more along the lines of honesty is the best policy and not misrepresenting something. That's the only way to tell on some things what came from where is totally and completely relying on someone else's prior knowledge of an item. Dishonesty being thrown into that kind of sullies the experience...you know?

It may honestly not matter one way or another, if they are truly 100% identical, but still, it just doesn't feel right to me.
    My Art/Photography Page For Commissions
    T-Shirts, Prints, and More for Sale
    My Personal Facebook

Comment

• LonnieFisher
      Eloquent Member
      • Jan 19, 2008

When you're talking original there is a world of difference. ORIGINAL is not something that has been switched.

"Not derived from something else" is the definition that applies here.
      Last edited by LonnieFisher; Mar 20, '10, 6:23 PM.

Comment

• warlock664
        Persistent Member
        • Feb 15, 2009

Baggies

IMO, the important thing is disclosure. While I wouldn't personally be that bugged knowing my SI baggies came from Action Jackson outfits instead of SI sets, I'd certainly want to know if a switch had been made. If I found out later that they had been switched without that fact being revealed, I'd feel uncomfortable about the authenticity of the sets as well, though of course those are much harder to fake.
        Hmmm, if all those white AJ cleats were free of holes (from being stitched to backing cards), how many footwear switches would have been made for Peter Parker without disclosure ?

Comment

• megozilla13
          Persistent Member
          • May 10, 2002

for mailer box figures I've seen two different types of plastic material used for the baggies. One is real crinkley and the other is softer. I recently bought a set of bagged woz figures and one had a baggie that opened from the side, not the top. I thought that was unusual.

Provenence....... your right. I know I didn't switch the bags, but how do I know the original owner, didn't also have the Big Jim Mego outfits and switched the bags. Or better yet, how do I know that back in Hong Kong the box of baggies intended to be used for the SI's was somehow misplaced and the factory worker responsible for bagging the SI's didn't walk over to the guy bagging the Mego Big Jim outfits and grabbed a couple from him.

mikej
          WANTED: Removable Mask ROBIN on Kresge style card

Comment

• Remco Monster
            GLOWS in the Dark!
            • May 3, 2006

You know, after reading all of this, I get the impression that the bags with writing were never really intended for any of the SI figures, but that they either ran out of plain bags, or just grabbed a wrong/random box, and a bunch of SI suits got the bags with writing.

Two things lead me to believe this. One that not all of the SI bags have writing, and two, the whole "powder" thing makes more sense with the Big Jim figures and their rubber arms.
            Last edited by Remco Monster; Mar 20, '10, 10:16 PM.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
              Eloquent Member
              • Jan 19, 2008

The powder suggestion was for the two outfits with two sets of long sleeves. Peter had one shirt and no jacket. Dick had a sleeveless turtleneck and overcoat. No need for them to have the powder suggestion. The powder was for the layers of cloth to slide better against each other I think. That's how they packaged them.
              Last edited by LonnieFisher; Mar 20, '10, 10:23 PM.

Comment

• Remco Monster
                GLOWS in the Dark!
                • May 3, 2006

But the rubber makes more sense. I have seen other vintage action figures come with "powder" instructions for boots to fit over rubber feet. In fact, I think the 12" Star Wars are one example of this. I however have never seen this suggested for clothing over clothing.

Just a theory is all.

Comment

• Orlock
                  Megohead Superdad
                  • Feb 15, 2010

Originally posted by TCM Hitchhiker
                  But the rubber makes more sense. I have seen other vintage action figures come with "powder" instructions for boots to fit over rubber feet. In fact, I think the 12" Star Wars are one example of this. I however have never seen this suggested for clothing over clothing.

Just a theory is all.
                  Same here. It's an issue of cloth over rubber that makes it difficult, not cloth over cloth. Cloth over rubber is a pain directly in my pants.
                  My Art/Photography Page For Commissions
                  T-Shirts, Prints, and More for Sale
                  My Personal Facebook

Comment

• txteach
                    Banned
                    • Jun 17, 2005

This makes me glad i don't care about baggies one way or the other.

Comment

• RG
                      Removed.
                      • Oct 1, 2004

Originally posted by txteach
                      This makes me glad i don't care about baggies one way or the other.
                      no doubt.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Jan 19, 2008

The baggie is part of the package so that's why some care. Boxed with original bag is more desirable than boxed no bag for the SI outfits. Without it, it isn't complete.

Comment

• kryptosmaster
                          Removed.
                          • Jun 14, 2008

Originally posted by warlock664
                          Hmmm, if all those white AJ cleats were free of holes (from being stitched to backing cards), how many footwear switches would have been made for Peter Parker without disclosure ?
                          If the AJ sneakers had been bagged instead of stitched to a card they would still be Mego and would still be perfectly acceptable for a PP figure. There would be absolutely no way to tell which set from the bin of sneakers went into an AJ bag or a PP outfit bag. Are you going to tell me that a pair of brown shoes from a Walton is inferior to a pair that was originally placed onto the Joker's feet?
                          Rich

Comment

• warlock664
                            Persistent Member
                            • Feb 15, 2009

Shoes

Originally posted by kryptosmaster
                            If the AJ sneakers had been bagged instead of stitched to a card they would still be Mego and would still be perfectly acceptable for a PP figure. There would be absolutely no way to tell which set from the bin of sneakers went into an AJ bag or a PP outfit bag. Are you going to tell me that a pair of brown shoes from a Walton is inferior to a pair that was originally placed onto the Joker's feet?
                            Rich
                            Umm, I'm not saying it wouldn't be acceptable (at least to me). If you read my entire post, I don't have a problem with baggies being switched, if they're all identical, I'd just want to know if that were the case. I wouldn't care about the shoes, if they were both original Mego. I only mention the PP shoe scenario because I imagine Lonnie would have a problem with those being switched, even if the AJ shoes had been the same as the PP shoes (i.e. no holes). I mean, if the baggies, which aren't even a functional part of the outfit, are such a concern, wouldn't the shoes, which are, cause more aggravation? Again, it wouldn't bother me . His point of view is that everything needs to be original to the Alter Ego set, an identical replacement from another Mego set isn't the same, in his eyes, because it wasn't shipped that way.

Comment

• kryptosmaster
                              Removed.
                              • Jun 14, 2008

^^^^Perhaps I did read it too fast. I thought that was you saying that about the shoes. Yeah Lonnie you need to chill sometimes. You seem like a really passionate Mego dude but sometimes you gotta draw the line or you'll end up like the Jack Nicholson character in "As Good As It Gets".
                              If it's indistinguishable from any other Mego part then it doesn't matter where it came from. Just because it doesn't have the same 1974 air & dust from a SI pair of pants on it doesn't make the value any less. In fact, if the bag holds any value at all then an identical bag in "BETTER" condition should actually "RAISE" the value! Parts is parts (to quote a famous old commercial ) as long as the part is identical. that's why you have people swapping out bodies with common figures to make their more valuable figures better.
                              Rich

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎