Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$130 for Melting-goo figures? Any help, or answers, on the horizon?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Bat
    Batman Fanatic
    • Jul 14, 2002

I just check my Carded GA, and I hadn't noticed before...but I could see little tiny Bubbles of liquid! I immediately ripped him of the Card!!!!

I put my Finger inside the Bubble...and it was indeed an Oily like substance! So much for keeping him MOC.
    sigpic

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
      Moderation Engineer
      • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by MightyMegs
      I opened my figures, so I never noticed a problem. When I first read about it though, I thought it might be mold-release oil residue. I also noticed that the bubbles have little holes punched in the bottom... perhaps to let the liquid to evaporate?
      I don't think it will evaporate - it's like an oil. I really think it's either vinyl from the heads or plastic from the bubble that is reacting and liquifying.

Comment

• Agent of SHIELD
        • May 10, 2007

Originally posted by MightyMegs
        I opened my figures, so I never noticed a problem. When I first read about it though, I thought it might be mold-release oil residue. I also noticed that the bubbles have little holes punched in the bottom... perhaps to let the liquid to evaporate?
        Since I don't have too many other carded figures from other lines and companies, I'll ask: Is it common in action figure packaging to have holes at the bottom of the bubbles? Are they drain holes?
        Last edited by Agent of SHIELD; Mar 16, '10, 8:09 AM.

Comment

• spamn
          Minty and All-Original!
          • Mar 28, 2002

Originally posted by Agent of SHIELD
          Since I don't have too many other carded figures from other lines and companies, I'll ask: Is it common in action figure packaging to have holes at the bottom of the bubbles? Are they drain holes?
          My guess is that they're for aeration, so that temperature changes don't cause humid air sealed in the bubble to do damage when the figures aren't in climate controlled storage.

Just a guess, but it seems more likely than for 'drainage'.

Comment

• trekman101
            Persistent Member
            • Feb 6, 2009

Originally posted by spamn
            My guess is that they're for aeration, so that temperature changes don't cause humid air sealed in the bubble to do damage when the figures aren't in climate controlled storage.

Just a guess, but it seems more likely than for 'drainage'.
            I agree
            "Thats the ticket laddie"

Comment

• SUP-Ronin
              Stuck in a laundry shoot.
              • Oct 8, 2007

I checked my second green arrow last night which was still in the mailer package. He looked fine, with absolutely no evidence of oily residue. But I am very hesitant to pick up more of these based on all the complaints. These complaints are not petty, and have added up to a significant amount of dissatisfaction. This really needs to be addressed.
              Poorly strung or arriving broken,
              Bow legged/badly designed pelvis,
              Nose rubs and melting action,
              Drippy oily jizzy funk appearing inside the blister.

This isn't about personal preferences and nit-picking, it's about quality and right now it isn't too impressive. I want this line to succeed as much as anyone else, and this stuff needs to be addressed.
              It would be nice to hear from Mattel.
              "Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."

Comment

• boynightwing
                That Carl Guy
                • Apr 24, 2002

Originally posted by toystalker
                years ago i had a batch of factory old stock mib dolls from the maker pedigree who also made sindy and others... they had the plastic disease... i had trouble selling them to doll collectors as any plastic doll collectors know the infected doll if displayed and rubbed against another uninfected doll can spread and spread through the lot of your collection if in contact

if you find a figure with the sweaty almost wet slimy feel to the plastic keep it away from the rest of your dolls and expensive action figures
                I have a Pocket Heroes Batman and his head/cape seems to be going this way. I've got him sealed up in a plastic action figure container thing. Does he have the disease?? Now I'm all scared.

Comment

• Trappy Trek Freak
                  House of a thousand Megos
                  • Aug 10, 2009

Man I hope my figures do not get infected!!! If the figure has no visible goo then they are good right???
                  Flickr: Trappy74's Photostream

Comment

• Spyweb007
                    Persistent Member
                    • Apr 18, 2006

Maybe storing them upside-down with the little holes in the bottom of the blister at the top would allow this substance to evaporate. or maybe those little packets of silica that are packed in some products would absorb this moisture? My figures are al open and off the cards and I've noticed none of these problems, and so far I'm very pleased with these figures.

Comment

• geoffdude
                      Banned
                      • Apr 18, 2009

First page updated w/some info.

g.

Comment

• toystalker
                        none
                        • Mar 27, 2008

dont be scared guys... im sure it cant happen again surely ?

gonna put more of mine out in the eliments and see what comes

some info on the old doll plastic disease syndrome

The Doll Collectors Club of NSW

plenty more on google

Comment

• MegoNutt
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 8, 2009

c'mon guys -REALLY? With all those parameters that the figures have to pass just to be safe for kid play... an oil thats toxic? It's plastic! Oil is part of the process. Seems more like Lex is just sweating his fight with Superman.

REALLY? and some guy or gal from Mattel is just gonna come on here answer all our questions and be accountable for the whole line of problems that we CONTINUE to bash to the Nth degree. Least we got um.
                          If you need a hole, I can dig it.

Comment

• Fuzzysnail
                            Persistent Member
                            • Feb 18, 2007

Originally posted by MegoNutt
                            c'mon guys -REALLY? With all those parameters that the figures have to pass just to be safe for kid play... an oil thats toxic? It's plastic! Oil is part of the process. Seems more like Lex is just sweating his fight with Superman.

REALLY? and some guy or gal from Mattel is just gonna come on here answer all our questions and be accountable for the whole line of problems that we CONTINUE to bash to the Nth degree. Least we got um.
                            Dude your goofy.

I think all the parents who purchased the lead based painted toys thought just like you. Its ok to question the big bad toy company. Dont bash people because they have legitimate concerns for their childs safety, or for the safety of their investment.

Comment

• Gremlin517
                              Museum Patron
                              • Sep 20, 2009

The Goo is EVIL! Don't touch it!

Grem-
                              Give us Golden Age Mego!!! Hourman! Golden Age Green Lantern, Jay Garrick would absolutely rock!sigpic

Comment

• toystalker
                                none
                                • Mar 27, 2008

yestaday after reading about the oily plastic runs down the bubbles i opened the remaing of my 6 boxes of retro actions... none that i could see had any runs or nose or top of head sweats...

that was yestaday...

today i come in and all are sweating!!!
                                tops of lex head looks moist as it is closest to the bubble
                                green lantern has what i would call wet look hair as i have brown paint on the backing card behind his head.. worrying as its not touching the BUBBLE! but this figure of all my GL is least affected, hoping thats head rub in the postage process but im sure i didnt see that yestaday
                                sinestro has wet nose as the 1 particular figure is leaning forward in the bubble and if you manipulate the bubble by pressing it either side it comes away from his nose and you can clearly see moisture... even better under mag glass
                                superman has very little isses but all supes cards have runs inside now
                                all characters have the streaking running down the bubble sweat runs

no major variants to report... all GL emblems are slightly different in outline print very small and only a print issue not a variant at all to small to even worry about

my main concern is the oily runs down the inside of the bubbles... id have love to have had a video camera on them over night to catch in slow mo what went down

yestaday case fresh moc figures were crystal clear today they are ALL dripping

i hope its nothing to be worried about

but investment retailers like me are concerned... hopefully we can get some question results pretty soon
                                Last edited by toystalker; Mar 17, '10, 5:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎