Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • piecemaker
    There's no need to fear..
    • Jan 26, 2009

I compared my MEGO Urko with the Cipsa Urko,there does seem to be a different look in the vinyls.The trademarks are different also,i dont know if that means anything or not.

Comment

• sauce
      Removed
      • Jun 24, 2007

Hey! This is what the museum is all about! Great thread with great info and great people and great sharing and yeah!!!

It's remarkable to see the CIPSA and MEGO bandoliers have even the slightest cracking in them as identical

Comment

• piecemaker
        • Jan 26, 2009

While looking at those two Urko heads i noticed the trademark info was different.Does anyone know why this first head doesn't have the "APJAC" part of the trademark on it?

Comment

• English Paul
          Archive cased.
          • Aug 17, 2005

I seem to recall all the Cipsa heads having a different trademark info.
          "I should say I`m very much cleverer than any of the people who put me here. As a matter of fact, I could leave any time I wanted. It`s only a doll`s house after all. Anyway, I don`t mind. I like dolls" - The Mad Hatter, Arkham Asylum.

Comment

• apes3978
            Permanent Member
            • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by piecemaker
            While looking at those two Urko heads I noticed the trademark info was different.Does anyone know why this first head doesn't have the "APJAC" part of the trademark on it?

I hope you get a definitive answer because I also have a Mego Urko with the "20th Century Fox" copyright and no mention of APJAC (and I also have a Mego Urko that has the same APJAC/Fox copyright as your Cipsa)...

My guess is that it has to do with the fact that Urko was a character entirely "owned" by Fox... By that I mean the other apes had been used in the films which had been APJAC productions, but Urko was created solely for the TV series which had no input by APJAC, as Arthur had died by that point and Ms. Trundy (Jacobs) sold APES to Fox... APJAC had nothing to do with the series, nor did they create any new characters so "maybe" Mego corrected the copyright to go along with this?

Comment

• piecemaker
              • Jan 26, 2009

Originally posted by apes3978
              I hope you get a definitive answer because I also have a Mego Urko with the "20th Century Fox" copyright and no mention of APJAC (and I also have a Mego Urko that has the same APJAC/Fox copyright as your Cipsa)...

My guess is that it has to do with the fact that Urko was a character entirely "owned" by Fox... By that I mean the other apes had been used in the films which had been APJAC productions, but Urko was created solely for the TV series which had no input by APJAC, as Arthur had died by that point and Ms. Trundy (Jacobs) sold APES to Fox... APJAC had nothing to do with the series, nor did they create any new characters so "maybe" Mego corrected the copyright to go along with this?
              I think you are right,i did a search of APJAC after posting this and read that APJAC had sold the rights to 20th Century,but i couldn't find a definate date when that happened.I am assuming that happened mid 1974.I also just checked out the MM galleries on Urko and it says the 20th Century trademark only, started on the second issue card.
              Last edited by piecemaker; Mar 14, '10, 3:47 PM.

Comment

• megoapesnut
                The name says it all!
                • Dec 3, 2007

That makes sense. I just checked through my CIPSA and Mego figures and here is what I found. My Mego and CIPSA Ursus figures all have the APJAC copyright. The CIPSA Cornelius and Zaius have that as well. Both CIPSA Bill figures I have do not, they start with 1974. Both of my CIPSA Urkos start with 1974 and My Mego Urko starts with APJAC, although he is a boxed figure and would have been produced before 1974 and the second issue card. All of my other Urkos are sealed on cards so I can't check those. I have a loose Burke and Verdon and they do not start with APJAC either, although the copyright looks different than any of the others. So...as I am thinking that all of the CIPSA figures were produced after 1974, assuming we are correct with that info, that is a little puzzling that some of the heads say APJAC and some do not. Unless we go back to the theory that Mego supplied the molds to CIPSA and maybe gave them some old ones? And for some reason CIPSA did not scrub the copyright info off as they did with the body molds. Or, it could be that Mego supplied CIPSA with the produced heads and gave them some old ones with the old copyright info that had not been destroyed?

Comment

• megoapesnut
                  The name says it all!
                  • Dec 3, 2007

Here is one question we can put to rest. I realized that I had another source for CIPSA rifles. I got the accessories out of my CIPSA treehouse and all three of them match what we have concluded to be the CIPSA rifle. No checkering on the grip or bolts on the handle.

Comment

• piecemaker
                    • Jan 26, 2009

Originally posted by megoapesnut
                    That makes sense. I just checked through my CIPSA and Mego figures and here is what I found. My Mego and CIPSA Ursus figures all have the APJAC copyright. The CIPSA Cornelius and Zaius have that as well. Both CIPSA Bill figures I have do not, they start with 1974. Both of my CIPSA Urkos start with 1974 and My Mego Urko starts with APJAC, although he is a boxed figure and would have been produced before 1974 and the second issue card. All of my other Urkos are sealed on cards so I can't check those. I have a loose Burke and Verdon and they do not start with APJAC either, although the copyright looks different than any of the others. So...as I am thinking that all of the CIPSA figures were produced after 1974, assuming we are correct with that info, that is a little puzzling that some of the heads say APJAC and some do not. Unless we go back to the theory that Mego supplied the molds to CIPSA and maybe gave them some old ones? And for some reason CIPSA did not scrub the copyright info off as they did with the body molds. Or, it could be that Mego supplied CIPSA with the produced heads and gave them some old ones with the old copyright info that had not been destroyed?
                    Yeah,these MEGO/CIPSA,URKO/URSUS apes are more than a little puzzling to me. That is some interesting information though,i'm going to have to check some more heads out i got.I dont have any carded apes to check,but the APJAC TM wraps all the way around the helmet on Urko,cant you see that from the side of the bubble?

Comment

• piecemaker
                      • Jan 26, 2009

Here is one question we can put to rest. I realized that I had another source for CIPSA rifles. I got the accessories out of my CIPSA treehouse and all three of them match what we have concluded to be the CIPSA rifle. No checkering on the grip or bolts on the handle.

http://www.megocipsa.com/ftpimages/rifles2.jpg
                      AWESOME THANKS!

Comment

• piecemaker
                        • Jan 26, 2009

Your post got me curious and i looked at the Alan Virdons i have.One has orange hair and is a type1 head with Trademark ,1974 MEGO CORP.The other one has light brown hair with,1974 20th CENTURY-FOX INC.I started a thread about the differing hair color awhile ago,but i never noticed the differing TMs.Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Comment

• megoapesnut
                          The name says it all!
                          • Dec 3, 2007

Both of my Virdon figures have the copyright show at the left. Both of my CIPSA Bill figures look more like the right, although the writing is a bit smaller.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎