Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ABMAC
    User
    • May 16, 2002

I don't consider 8" figures with sculpted-on clothing to be Mego-like, but they are Mego-compatible — especially the ones with fabric clothing that goes on over the sculpted clothes.

Marx's Safari Adventure figures look good with my Mego figures, but their Rat Patrol guys and Apollo astronauts don't fit in.

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

I've always thought of any cloth be-suited figures that weren't military based to be Mego like and military ones, including Action Jackson and Lion Rock, to be Gi Joe like. Not sure where Captain Action fits into my definition, I guess he could be the Mego ancestor?
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• mego73
        Printed paperboard Tiger
        • Aug 1, 2003

Mego like for me is 8" articulated figures with real clothing. The figure bodies resemble real bodies rather than hyper stylized muscle bodies. The mindset of "Mego like" is that it's made for the kids or now that we are adults, the kid in us, not for adult fanboys.

This is what most companies doing action figures aiming to be "Mego like" fail to see.

Megos have a sunny disposition, so much so that if figures like Mego's came out today would shut down aintitcool.com with all the fanboy complaints. Batman is smiling, so is Robin. Fanboys are looking for "Badass", Megos are "innocent".

So Mego like:

Somewhat realistic body with clothing, good but idealized likenesses. Costume and likeness capture the "essence" but can be "off model" in many ways. Final result is aimed at kids, like the Batman Mego evokes the Adam West, Filmation, Hanna Barbara Batman rather than THE DARK KNIGHT and Burton films.

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• AcroRay
          Persistent Member
          • Apr 17, 2005

I think Mego73 has an excellent point on the off-model and innocent quality of the Mego designs. What always characterized "Mego" for me as far as costumed figure toys was concerned was the rather silly, unrealistic quality of them. They were fun little 'dolls' of super hero and Tv characters.

When I was younger, however, those were negative factors that kept me away from them. As an adult, I appreciate that as their charm and appeal.

I enjoy the very elaborate, realistic customs many people make. But its the odd combination of those off-scale fabrics and chunky details coupled with realistic head sculpts and an obvious attempt at 'authentic costumes/details' than make Mego for me. There'll always be a difference in execution that will say "Mego" that has a unique appeal that more dramatic, realistic lines like Dragon and Medicom can't duplicate.
          Micronauts Collector, Historian, Consultant
          AcroRay's Laboratory - My Micronauts Blog
          The Micropolis Embassy - My Micronauts Group
          Rockets, Robots & Dinosaurs - My Blog for Other Interests

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍