Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What toys from your childhood are you NOT nostalgic for?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

sigpic

Comment

• ctc
      Fear the monkeybat!
      • Aug 16, 2001

>Star Wars, it just doesn't have the same appeal to me as it used to.

I can agree. For me it's 'cos there's SO MUCH stuff, and if I really want a character I want them in 8" scale now. I kinda got back in it after the first of the new movies 'cos Star Wars toys were SO cheap at the time.

....and since you guys mentioned Tinkertoy; I'm not real nostalgic for the old Giant Tinkertoy set I had. WAY too many injuries.

Don C.

Comment

• JediJaida
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 14, 2008

I have a couple.

Shaker Maker. How many copies of the derned things did anyone's parents tolerte cluttering up their room? Plus, they would never buy the refills or new ones, (at least not in MY family.)

Easy-Bake Oven. Let's get real here, people. How good does a brownie/cake/pie taste if it was cooked via a 100 watt lightbulb? Plus, did anyone LIKE that godawful puke-green/avocado color????
        JediJaida

Comment

• slats7
          Museum Super Collector
          • Jun 20, 2007

Never really cared for Legos or Tinker Toys.

Comment

• HardyGirl
            Mego Museum's Poster Girl
            • Apr 3, 2007

Originally posted by JediJaida
            Easy-Bake Oven. Let's get real here, people. How good does a brownie/cake/pie taste if it was cooked via a 100 watt lightbulb? Plus, did anyone LIKE that godawful puke-green/avocado color????
            I actually liked my Easy-Bake Oven. The potato chip accessory was a bust, and I did spill the devil's food cake mix so it burned and stuck to the light bulb (burnt chocolate anyone?), but for the most part it was OK.

And mine was red.
            "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
            'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
            Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
            If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• JediJaida
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 14, 2008

Lucky you. I had the green one.

Ick!

Oh, how about the Barbie sewing machine that used the glue cartridge thingie, and nothing ever turned out right?

I played with it for all of maybe five minutes before my mom took it away and put it into the Black Hole (closet), where it promptly disappeared into the Netherworld of Lost Toys.
              JediJaida

Comment

• LincoMego
                • May 27, 2009

Originally posted by grayhank
                One that I loved as a kid was Shaker-Maker. For those unfamiliar with the concept - you got this plaster stuff that you mixed with water and shake it in its special shaker cup with a head mold of a character (such as Batman). The heads would be slimy but eventually dry and shrink onto their bodied bases. Then you painted them. (Perhaps this was one of the earliest forms of customizing figures).

Lite Brite - What a waste of time this one was. I could never make anything that was pictured... they never seemed to give you enough of those pegs to make anything.

So please nobody send me the above mentioned as gifts!
                Shaker Maker!! Awesome. I havent thought about that in years! My brother and i had a Batman and Joker set. We ended up freezing kool-aid in the molds to make popsicles.

Comment

• spamn
                  Minty and All-Original!
                  • Mar 28, 2002

Originally posted by slats7
                  Never really cared for Legos or Tinker Toys.
                  Burn the heretic!

Comment

• B-Lister
                    Eccentric Weirdo
                    • Mar 19, 2010

this has never happened to me that I can imagine.

except in regards to farm toys, but then, I still have all of my old toy tractors....so I dunno.

but not only do I feel nostalgia for almost every toy I ever owned, I feel nostalgia for toys I never owned, and toys that were before my time.

case in point: Megos. I'm only 30. Mego was pretty much before my time (though they existed in 1980, their heyday was over.)

I'm also a big Captain Action fan, but the Playing Mantis reissues are just fine for me for the time being. Though I might eventually get on board with the vintage stuff.
                    Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• Rextasy
                      • Apr 25, 2010

Two words: Electric Football. What promise! Two entire sets of lovingly detailed figures you can make to look like the Pittsburgh Steelers or any of those those teams the Steelers beat the hell out of, goal posts, even little foam rubber footballs. What disappointment! You turn it on, and the little men spin around in little circles until they fall over.

And yeah, any game like Mouse Trap where losing a single one of the 75 pieces ruins the fun for good.

Comment

• MysteryWho
                        Persistent Member
                        • Dec 16, 2008

Etch a Sketch. I hate that thing. I've also worked a few toy aisles in the past twenty years and I'll tell ya, it does not go away or change very much. I sometimes wonder why some toys were available in 1977 or whenever for five minutes and this awful thing never dies.

Comment

• Joe90
                          Most Special Agent
                          • Feb 23, 2008

Originally posted by Cmonster
                          Again, I'll go back to my theory on the 70's. It was truly the perfect decade to be a kid.
                          Great Post!

However, I'd have to say that the 1960's were the perfect decade to be a kid in. They were almost exactly like the Seventies, but without the polyester...
                          90, Joe 90.... Great Shakes : Milk Chocolate -- Shaken, not Stirred.

Comment

• starsky
                            veteran member
                            • Aug 26, 2007

i got a george washington carver doll once.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎