Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What toys from your childhood are you NOT nostalgic for?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SlipperyLilSuckers
    MeGoing
    • May 14, 2003

I loved Shaker Maker but hated baby dolls and other girlie toys.

Comment

• ScottA
      Original Member
      • Jun 25, 2001

I loved all the toys I had as a kid. I'd love to get them all back.
      sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• 70's-toy-fan
        Museum Patron
        • Nov 9, 2009

Lincoln logs and those weebles..most boring toys i ever had!
        Life is a wonderful journey..where you step changes your path through it!

Comment

• HardyGirl
          Mego Museum's Poster Girl
          • Apr 3, 2007

I guess it would be Lincoln Logs. I was given a set for Xmas when I was 5. I wasn't really into building toys, and no one would show me how to use them. My cousins loved them though.
          "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
          'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
          Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
          If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Gorn Captain
            Invincible Ironing Man
            • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by palitoy
            I got a Donny Osmond once, that was enough.
            Weren't there Child Protection laws in your country at that time?
            "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• TrueDave
              Toy Maker
              • Jan 12, 2008

I STILL have to play these games with kids and HATE them.

Kerplunk, Dont Break the Ice, Connect 4.

He man

Six Million Dollar man.

McDonaldland toy figures

Sit and spin blows!!!!! makes me sick. what a hang over for a cheap buzz.

Hot Wheels.

Star Wars ( maybe a little)

GI Joe Real American Hero

Ateam guys

Stompers

All you lincoln Log and Tinker Toy haters send em my way! What do you think my Apes village set up is made of? and the tinker toys would make a good mad scientist Lab. Ive been looking at Giant sized Mego Blocks. Wish they were plain grey .
              Mostly I like stuff I DIDNT have or wanted. HAd a Stretch didnt have a ROM . . .
              Last edited by TrueDave; Feb 23, '10, 12:29 PM.

Comment

• rche
                channeling Bob Wills
                • Mar 26, 2008

Originally posted by megoat
                Johnny West.

I had a ton of this stuff when I was a kid. I have tried at least a half dozen times in the last 15+ years to collect them and I always end up getting rid of them. As an adult collector I just find them clunky and boring. I guess I'm a little "nostalgic" about them but I just can't collect them at all.....
                I used to feel the same way about Marx stuff, until I saw them acting in GovIshJosephland. Now I have a strange attraction to them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFwqz...eature=related

I keep a box of Gabriel Lone Ranger parts lying around thinking I will decide to like them, but have yet to get any warm fuzzies for that line.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Jan 19, 2008

Lego!!

Comment

• Cmonster
                    Banned
                    • Feb 6, 2010

There isn't one single toy, comic book, magazine, video game, movie, TV show, or anything else for that matter, from my childhood, that I'm not nostalgic for.

Again, I'll go back to my theory on the 70's. It was truly the perfect decade to be a kid. I see my nephews now, kids of my friends, etc... Man, what a huge difference. I mean HUGE. Gigantic. Gargantuan. Immeasureable... I mean, if you put a 9 year old in a time machine and sent him back to 1977, his head would explode. No internet, no cell phone, no ipod, NO CLUE. "Hey, let's grab our megos and climb up to my treehouse, read comic books and trade Star Wars cards!" That kid would be like "Why would I want to climb a tree, and why are you playing with dolls?" I'm telling you, straight up; Action figures, comic books, all that stuff... It's for US. Late 30-40 somethings, that grew up in the 70's actually reading comics and PLAYING with that stuff. Here's some facts;

1)I go to the comic book store to get my comics every Wednesday. I have done that pretty much my entire life. In the past 20 years, I have NEVER sen a kid in the comic book store. If I have, he was with his dad, who was getting his books or buying action figures.

2)When I'm in a TRU or similar place, looking for figures, what have you, all the young kids, are in the video game aisle. All I usually see in the action figure aisles, are GUYS. I very, very rarely see kids buying action figures. Why? Because "kids" nowadays don't play with action figures. Sure, I see really young kids (2-5 or maybe 6) playing with that stuff here and there, but good God... I played with all that stuff and collected baseball cards until I was at least 12 or 13. Kids today at that age, have their heads buried in their iphones, texting and tweeting their lives away, never looking up for 2 freakin' seconds to enjoy, explore, or even notice the world around them.

I'm telling you... The world is upside down right now, and kids are growing up way too fast. I absolutely FIEND for anything from the 70's or my childhood, because in my opinion, I represent the last of a truly by gone era. A time when kids were kids and the world was a much different, much better place.

So there's no toy that I'm not nostalgic about. That's part of the reason why I'm here. I think a lot of you, particularly the ones who are my age (41), feel the same way and know pretty much exactly what I'm talking about... I mean, c'mon, what will ever be better than megos, Famous Monsters magazine, Star Wars, KISS albums, and Saturday morning television?

SC

Comment

• HardyGirl
                      Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                      • Apr 3, 2007

Did someone clone me in my sleep, and turn the clone into a guy? Because those are my sentiments exactly! I'm a teacher and up until June I was working w/ school age children, (5-11) and most of them while the boys did play w/ Bakugons thingies, the older girls really didn't have any interest in dolls. Most all of them had cell phones, Ipods, computers, etc. and didn't really play. But I did have some influence and brought some of my things in to show them how fun the classic actually are.

Originally posted by Cmonster
                      There isn't one single toy, comic book, magazine, video game, movie, TV show, or anything else for that matter, from my childhood, that I'm not nostalgic for.

Again, I'll go back to my theory on the 70's. It was truly the perfect decade to be a kid. I see my nephews now, kids of my friends, etc... Man, what a huge difference. I mean HUGE. Gigantic. Gargantuan. Immeasureable... I mean, if you put a 9 year old in a time machine and sent him back to 1977, his head would explode. No internet, no cell phone, no ipod, NO CLUE. "Hey, let's grab our megos and climb up to my treehouse, read comic books and trade Star Wars cards!" That kid would be like "Why would I want to climb a tree, and why are you playing with dolls?" I'm telling you, straight up; Action figures, comic books, all that stuff... It's for US. Late 30-40 somethings, that grew up in the 70's actually reading comics and PLAYING with that stuff. Here's some facts;

1)I go to the comic book store to get my comics every Wednesday. I have done that pretty much my entire life. In the past 20 years, I have NEVER sen a kid in the comic book store. If I have, he was with his dad, who was getting his books or buying action figures.

2)When I'm in a TRU or similar place, looking for figures, what have you, all the young kids, are in the video game aisle. All I usually see in the action figure aisles, are GUYS. I very, very rarely see kids buying action figures. Why? Because "kids" nowadays don't play with action figures. Sure, I see really young kids (2-5 or maybe 6) playing with that stuff here and there, but good God... I played with all that stuff and collected baseball cards until I was at least 12 or 13. Kids today at that age, have their heads buried in their iphones, texting and tweeting their lives away, never looking up for 2 freakin' seconds to enjoy, explore, or even notice the world around them.

I'm telling you... The world is upside down right now, and kids are growing up way too fast. I absolutely FIEND for anything from the 70's or my childhood, because in my opinion, I represent the last of a truly by gone era. A time when kids were kids and the world was a much different, much better place.

So there's no toy that I'm not nostalgic about. That's part of the reason why I'm here. I think a lot of you, particularly the ones who are my age (41), feel the same way and know pretty much exactly what I'm talking about... I mean, c'mon, what will ever be better than megos, Famous Monsters magazine, Star Wars, KISS albums, and Saturday morning television?

SC
                      "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                      'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                      Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                      If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Megospidey
                        Museum Webslinger
                        • Jul 26, 2006

Likewise, I am nostaligic for ALL my childhood toys.

I disagree somewhat with the idea that kids today are only into technology and not toys/action figures.

the kids in the church that I pastor LOVE action figures. My 2 younger boys (6 and 10) LOVE to play with 3, 6, 8, 9, or 12 inch action figures..doesn't matter. My 14 year old did too up until about 2 years ago.

All of their friends LOVE to play with action figures. They get into serious debates about which superheroes are the best...and it usually comes down to Batman vs. Spiderman.

I know there are kids who only want to "Play" with their technology toys...but in my world, at least, there are a ton of kids who don't.

Comment

• spamn
                          Minty and All-Original!
                          • Mar 28, 2002

Originally posted by Cmonster

SC
                          I don't think this is true everywhere yet, not even in America.

I lived in New Zealand for a year and a half in 2004-5, and to me -with notable exceptions - it felt a lot like the US in the 70s, while there were still places without fast food, and there was still regional production of everything, from television, to commercials, to goods.

Comment

• GlobalObserver
                            Persistent Member
                            • Aug 12, 2004

Cmonster pretty much echos my feelings. I'm nostalgic for everything from my childhood. I was born in 1964, started Kindergarten in 1969, graduated high school in 1981. I'm a child of the 70's, and I'd give anything in this world for a one way ticket back in time. Just drop me off when the way-back dial hits 1973.

Comment

• Cmonster
                              Banned
                              • Feb 6, 2010

Originally posted by GlobalObserver
                              I'm a child of the 70's, and I'd give anything in this world for a one way ticket back in time. Just drop me off when the way-back dial hits 1973.
                              You and me both, brother.

SC

Comment

• clemso
                                Talkative Member
                                • Aug 8, 2001

airfix model kits

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢