X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blue Meanie
    Banned
    • Jun 23, 2001

Originally posted by cjefferys
    Thanks, I thought I had read that somewhere, but couldn't find it in Bonavita's book. I didn't think to look in the Happy Days section, I forgot about the stuffed Fonzie.

I did a quick web search, but couldn't find anything. According to the tag on my Kong, Samet and Wells was located in Bohemia, NY. I wonder how they were related. I wonder if they were also involved in the Super Softies. Ah, more questions.
    Must be a coincidence(Sp?)...Megos main warehouse (The one that Bonavita visited in the pics on his old website) was in Bohemia. Samett and Wells was probably part of Mego. Sort of like a subsidiary of Mego. A side note: That warehouse is a Eckerds main warehouse here on Long Island. Been trying to get in there for a while now just to get a gander at the loading dock to see if the mural is still there. That place is like Fort Knox.

Comment

• Count Creepyhead
      Museum Super Collector
      • Jul 28, 2007

I'm curious as to why some have a large MEGO logo on the back of the hang tag and some have Sammet etc.. Maybe Mego made the 18" and sammet did the others etc..?

But definitely Mego no matter what name is on the tag.

Comment

• cjefferys
        Duke of Gloat
        • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by Count Creepyhead
        I'm curious as to why some have a large MEGO logo on the back of the hang tag and some have Sammet etc.. Maybe Mego made the 18" and sammet did the others etc..?

But definitely Mego no matter what name is on the tag.
        That's a good question, I was wondering that myself. Sadly, neither of mine have their cardboard tags, so I can't shed any light on that. My 24" Kong just has a fabric tag that says Samet and Wells on it, but my 15" Kong is completely tagless.

Comment

• ramsey37
          • Jun 18, 2001

Speaking of the 30" King Kong:
          huge 30 inch KING KONG monster vintage 70's MEGO doll - (eBay item 230171573621 end time Sep-20-07 14:29:58 PDT)
          I'd be curious to see what the final bid will be on this one.
          George

Comment

• cjefferys
            Duke of Gloat
            • Apr 23, 2006

Yeah, that one is interesting, I'd never even heard of it before, it's completely different looking from the others. I was skeptical about it even being a Mego one until I saw the tag (the US released ones don't even have an actual Mego tag like that). Makes you wonder what other Kong items were released in Japan that haven't been "discovered" yet. I'd love to get it, but it's pretty well out of my price range at this point.

Comment

• toys2cool
              Ultimate Mego Warrior
              • Nov 27, 2006

Holy crap that's huge MO FO!! pretty cool looking though
              "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
              My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• batmanmc
                mego batman collector
                • Jun 22, 2004

its really nice. i wouldnt mind one.

Comment

• GUYx1
                  FORMER MEGO COLLECTOR
                  • Apr 20, 2005

This may sound odd, but I have seen that figure before.
                  I have been searching Japan ever since I saw it last year on ebay on Jan31st, 2006. So far, Nobody in Japan has ever heard of it before.
                  I remember that auction was also in Belgium and the auction story was similar. The KONG listed in 2006 was also holding a superman.
                  JUST LIKE IN THE PHOTO.

90% certain it was the EXACT same kong figure. I will have to dig through my back up cds to be sure.

What are the chances of the same seller finding the same item and photographing it the same way?

http://cgi.ebay.com/great-KING-KONG-...temZ6028357463

Sorry the link has gone flat, but something sounds odd about that.
                  Cheers,
                  Guyx1

Comment

• cjefferys
                    Duke of Gloat
                    • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by GUYx1
                    This may sound odd, but I have seen that figure before.
                    I have been searching Japan ever since I saw it last year on ebay on Jan31st, 2006. So far, Nobody in Japan has ever heard of it before.
                    I remember that auction was also in Belgium and the auction story was similar. The KONG listed in 2006 was also holding a superman.
                    JUST LIKE IN THE PHOTO.

90% certain it was the EXACT same kong figure. I will have to dig through my back up cds to be sure.

What are the chances of the same seller finding the same item and photographing it the same way?

http://cgi.ebay.com/great-KING-KONG-...temZ6028357463

Sorry the link has gone flat, but something sounds odd about that.

That is odd. Maybe the same seller then. Do you remember if he sold it the last time? and if so, for how much? (I'm afraid that if your ebay link is from Jan 2006, it's long dead).

I've never seen that Kong either in my visits to Japanese toy stores (I'm sure I would have remembered something like that!). Then again, if I had found one, I'd hate to have to lug a 30" tall stuffed ape back to Canada (let alone carrying it on a crowded train in Japan)

So you live in Japan? Any particularly good toy stores you know of over there? I'd like to check out some new ones next time I visit.

Comment

• Count Creepyhead
                      Museum Super Collector
                      • Jul 28, 2007

I saved pics from the last time one of these was up on Ebay, it's not the same Kong. I mean it's the same style, just not the same doll. Oh and I believe it went for something like $36 or $63 something like that.

Comment

• GUYx1
                        FORMER MEGO COLLECTOR
                        • Apr 20, 2005

I saw it end the last time and it went for around $500 if memory serves me correctly.

It may not be the same doll, The painting on the teeth is nicer and now it has a mego tag.
                        But the background and where it was taken all seem pretty similar.

UNUSUAL that no dealer I talked to in Japan has ever seen this figure and yet TWO sellers from Belgium would know it's history.
                        It is a nice piece, but I am wish someone actually in JAPAN knew about it and not just Belgians with toys in the attic.

The 2006 listing is on the left, the 2007 listing is on the right

2006 on the left 2007 on the right
                        Cheers,
                        Guyx1

Comment

• kresge1
                          Museum_Bozo
                          • Jun 20, 2001

Thats a pretty awesome Kong collectible.
                          Looking for Remco Phantom. Mego mailer boxed figures

Comment

• GUYx1
                            FORMER MEGO COLLECTOR
                            • Apr 20, 2005

Yes, it is nice. Nicer still if it is atually mego. I would be more inclined to believe it was a Belgian exclusive Kong doll, but it seems odd to me that two should show up in such an unusual place and both claim it to be Japanese.

Guess there were a lot of Belgian King Kong fans flying to Japan in the mid 1970's.
                            Cheers,
                            Guyx1

Comment

• toys2cool
                              Ultimate Mego Warrior
                              • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by GUYx1
                              I saw it end the last time and it went for around $500 if memory serves me correctly.

It may not be the same doll, The painting on the teeth is nicer and now it has a mego tag.
                              But the background and where it was taken all seem pretty similar.

UNUSUAL that no dealer I talked to in Japan has ever seen this figure and yet TWO sellers from Belgium would know it's history.
                              It is a nice piece, but I am wish someone actually in JAPAN knew about it and not just Belgians with toys in the attic.

The 2006 listing is on the left, the 2007 listing is on the right

2006 on the left 2007 on the right
                              http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79...ngcompare1.jpg
                              wow good call man,you actually kept the pics? LOL!
                              "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                              My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• GUYx1
                                FORMER MEGO COLLECTOR
                                • Apr 20, 2005

While I like chopping suff up and customizing it, I am first and formost an obsessed collector. I keep EVERYTHING.
                                If a "rare" item keeps suspiciously appearing to be less than rare, I usually have a photo for comparison.
                                Cheers,
                                Guyx1

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎