Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me ID this Star Wars Era 70s toy Space Trooper Helmet.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spamn
    Minty and All-Original!
    • Mar 28, 2002

Help me ID this Star Wars Era 70s toy Space Trooper Helmet.

I don't know what this helmet is. Was it part of a line, one of a series? Or a quick Star Wars one-off cash in? It's one of my few - possibly the *only* of my - original childhood toys that somehow survived the great purge of 1981, and as such, I treasure it.

I painted it myself at age 10 or 11 - if you couldn't tell - and wore it for Halloween in (I think) 1978. It failed to win me the costume contest at my Elementary School that year - didn't we all have one of those? You know, the one where we changed into our costumes at school and paraded by grade around the gymnasium, and two winners from each grade were picked out by the obese, speech-impedimented female janitor named Regina, who always pointed with her middle finger rather than her index finger? But, the year after that, my last in Elementary school, I reused the black outfit Mom sewed for me for this, and a different mask and won. The anticlimactic prize was a large plastic candy cane or cylinder full of M&M's. And Pride. Much, much Pride.

Anyway, since getting back into vintage toys as an adult, I have never seen, nor heard tell of one of these. I don't even really know what to call it, and searching on 'toy helmet' or 'helmet' on ebay yields far too many results, and other searches nothing even remotely like it.

It still fits my adult head, and the only clue to its manufacture is the too-general-for-google company name 'Toy Box, Inc. Made in U.S.A.' embossed on the right temple. The metal rivets evident in the picture are to secure the elastic band inside, which keeps it fairly secure on one's head. It was sold unfinished, and looks to be made from two fairly thick vacuformed plastic halves.

What do you say, megoheads? Anyone of y'all ever seen one of these or have any stories relating? I feel like I remember a stack of these at the toystore where I got mine, likely the King of Prussia, Pa. Kiddie City. Am I the only one who remembers these or has one?

I'm going to repaint it to its original all-black, I think, and add dark or reflective one-way plastic film to the eyes.
    Last edited by spamn; Feb 14, '10, 10:59 PM.
  • AAAAA
    Permanent Member
    • Oct 28, 2005

try googling Galaxy patrol, galaxy trooper
    I remenber seeing that , I still have my space patrol helmet from Johson smith co.
    I purchaced in 79,

Comment

• toys2cool
      Ultimate Mego Warrior
      • Nov 27, 2006

never seen that
      "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
      My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• spamn
        Minty and All-Original!
        • Mar 28, 2002

Thanks for the suggestion. Searching on those didn't turn up mine, but a few of them look like they're in the ballpark. Maybe armed with those names I'll find the online 70s toy space helmet museum. The search continues!
        Originally posted by AAAAA
        try googling Galaxy patrol, galaxy trooper
        I remenber seeing that , I still have my space patrol helmet from Johson smith co.
        I purchaced in 79,

Comment

• EmergencyIan
          Museum Paramedic
          • Aug 31, 2005

That helmet looks very familiar to me. I didn't own one, but I believe one of my friends did.

That was back in the days when we were prentending to be ... and coming up with new ideas all of the time. What imaginations we had.

- Ian
          Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• neogelion
            Museum Patron
            • Mar 11, 2009

Do a search for "star wars helmet". They come in black or white. I bought a black one about 4 years ago off ebay.
            Zombie? Vampire? Evil clown?!? Yes, please.

Comment

• spamn
              Minty and All-Original!
              • Mar 28, 2002

Originally posted by neogelion
              Do a search for "star wars helmet". They come in black or white. I bought a black one about 4 years ago off ebay.
              They come in white too? Really? Excellent. I'd love to see pix of the one you got if you could take and post them. Just to see another one - this has been a personal mystery to me for several years. Now to get eyewitnes corraboration and information about them... you, sir, are my personal hero.

Any idea what they go for?

It never occurred to me to search with Star Wars because I knew it wasn't from it. It's obvious now that many people wouldn't know that, or would use Star Wars to market one to vintage collectors either way. To evilbay!
              Last edited by spamn; Feb 16, '10, 9:03 AM.

Comment

• Brazoo
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 14, 2009

Crazy - I was in a thrift store today and a couple of guys found this helmet and were talking about it. One of them Googled and found this thread.

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Toy box also made these

Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                    Muddling through
                    • Oct 4, 2008

I had that sword. didn't last long

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢