X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tactile2
    Museum ADDICT
    • Jan 8, 2008

The Joker

Okay...I posted this originally in The customs discussion section, and think it really belongs here....For those who haven't read the previous post, this is my first head sculpt...Haven't worked with this size before, and I am not used to using polymer clay either... so please bear with me as I learn as I go! First pics were taken after 45 minutes using my fingers and a toothpick as sculpting tools.....the next shots were another one hour of "play" using some sculpting tools...we'll see how it turns out! Enjoy!

Oh...I am sculpting this from my head....probably a mistake...would be a lot easier if I had a few pics to refer to....

Kevin

FIRST SESSION

SECOND SESSION

Last edited by tactile2; Feb 2, '10, 12:14 AM. Reason: why not?
    sigpic
    LOVE THEM MEGOS...AND ANYTHING STAR WARS!! Visit my web-site www.comicdoctor.com
  • supes
    For the love of Mego's!
    • Jan 19, 2004

Looking good! The tools definatly allowed you to get into more detail.

For the love of Mego's

Comment

• Meule
      Verbose Member
      • Nov 14, 2004

Coming along nicely, the hair needs a little more work, needs to be more puffy
      "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

He's getting creepier looking, and personally I like the slicked down hair.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Captain_Mego
          Vet.
          • May 22, 2007

He is looking good. Cant wait to see the finished peice.

You asked me a ???? about the sculpty on my post.
          Yeah I baked it solid in a toster over.
          You have to rotate it from time to time so not to burn it.
          Or I have to at least because of the toster oven.
          As far as what I used. I know its sculpty but have no idea witch one.
          I have a tub full of peices and colors from past sculpts.
          I just grabbed up a wad out of the tub and started messing with it.
          Im going to start useing wax soon.
          I actually hate the putty after seeing what can be done with wax.
          Most pros use wax. It's better all around for sculpting.

Sorry I wish I knew...If I had to guess I would think it was regular sculpty from walmart.

Comment

• tactile2
            Museum ADDICT
            • Jan 8, 2008

okay..I have also seen wax and it's awesome....since you are going to use wax, obviously you intend to cast the finshed ones then, correct?

Also, you may already know this, but you can smooth out sculpey with alcohol...I am using 70%, but the 90 (i think it's 90) works even better.

I have never gotten to a cured state, does sculpey sand okay?
            sigpic
            LOVE THEM MEGOS...AND ANYTHING STAR WARS!! Visit my web-site www.comicdoctor.com

Comment

• Captain_Mego
              Vet.
              • May 22, 2007

Yeah the alcohol works good.Yep it sand ok once hard. What I do now is. I get it to the point you seen it. Then I make a mold of it and cast it in resin. Once it's in resin cast. You can cut and detail it out. This will allow you to try different things too. You might want to make changes. If they dont work out no harm no fowl. You can always pour another one and go back to the start.

Comment

• Captain_Mego
                Vet.
                • May 22, 2007

I seen you mention buying some sculpting tools. You can get dental kits off ebay pretty cheep. Thats what I use they work great. If interested.

Comment

• tactile2
                  Museum ADDICT
                  • Jan 8, 2008

Hi! I am an art and drama teacher, so I grabbed a bunch of tools from the school....they are like dental tools....I am a painter, but have always been intrigued by sculpting.....

So that wolverine one was cast....hmmm.....

Kev
                  sigpic

Comment

• Meule
                    Verbose Member
                    • Nov 14, 2004

You might wanna make a cast of the Joker sculpt in this stage and then do what Chris suggested. Keep the original sculpt to work on your Joker and use the cast for a Wolverine sculpt, I can definitely see him in there
                    "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Captain_Mego
                      Vet.
                      • May 22, 2007

I think you missunderstood me. Soory about that.
                      Im not the best at writeing things out.
                      What I was trying to say is you can take the sculpt as far as you can.
                      Once you have done that.
                      Then bake it solid.
                      Once baked solid.
                      Then mold it.
                      Once molded.
                      Then cast it.
                      Once cast in plastic.
                      It is now ready for detailing.
                      Once detailed out .
                      Then make a final mother mold..And your done.

The wolverine head I sculpted was sculpty...not molded yet.
                      I will mold it this weekened and get it ready for detailing and changes that need to be made.

Hope this helps explain the process better.
                      You can get a sample kit from smooth on for molding and casting...oo moo work great for molding.
                      You can also get a sample kit of smooth cast resin for casting the peice.
                      Last edited by Captain_Mego; Feb 2, '10, 5:54 PM.

Comment

• tactile2
                        Museum ADDICT
                        • Jan 8, 2008

so once in plastic, I would then continue detailing.....And then create yet another mold and cast...wow....lots of steps!!
                        sigpic

Comment

• tactile2
                          Museum ADDICT
                          • Jan 8, 2008

Just b4 the oven!

Ok..spent another hour on this while watching Idol....I could do more, but am getting anxious to bake it!

Question is...what do I do now? Do I clean it up some more once it comes out of the oven? Or do you cast it? (I might just clean this one up and paint it!)

He seems toothless to me, that's what is missing! but I figured I could paint the teeth in, or create a set of teth with sculpey, harden it with a heat gun, and glue a nice set of teeth in....we'll see....I also went with the slicked back hair look! Sculpting these is pretty addictive, so I am sure I will have a chance to do more.....

Enjoy!

Last edited by tactile2; Feb 3, '10, 11:17 PM. Reason: pics didn't work
                          sigpic

Comment

• Meule
                            Verbose Member
                            • Nov 14, 2004

That's definitely one freaky Joker

Comment

• tactile2
                              Museum ADDICT
                              • Jan 8, 2008

Hey Captain...I have baked it and sanded as much as I could...so now I mold it...You mention that once it is cast in plastic, then I can detail it more....is the plastic easy to detail? Do I require any special tools? Or just the dental pics?? Thanks for the help!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎