Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megoscott
    Founding Partner
    • Nov 17, 2006

Your project looks phenomenal. Well done.

Sorry to intrude, but since it came up: Dida Space Command playsets are not available right now. Laser Mego was making consoles for me, but with the laser cutter gone...until I can replace those I can't do the playsets.
    This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• cwilfing
      • Dec 18, 2008

I'm very impressed, there's a guy with a website called setbuilder07 and he makes consoles and other sets for the art asylum scale and also mego scale. I have the helm and navigation console, he makes his stuff out of wood, and its not bad. However I think I'd like to have one of these as well. Do you think at some point you might make the transporter control console. I made one from a pattern I found here, its made from foam core board, its okay but I'm sure you could do better.

Comment

• Obi
        • Feb 1, 2010

If this comes out good enough I can definitely see myself trying to do more pieces.

Comment

• cdhall
          Persistent Member
          • Aug 14, 2004

OMG

Originally posted by cwilfing
          I'm very impressed, there's a guy with a website called setbuilder07 and he makes consoles and other sets for the art asylum scale and also mego scale. I have the helm and navigation console, he makes his stuff out of wood, and its not bad. However I think I'd like to have one of these as well. Do you think at some point you might make the transporter control console. I made one from a pattern I found here, its made from foam core board, its okay but I'm sure you could do better.
          Why I haven't I read of this before... I have to read more!

But I agree, I think Obi's console looks like it will be much more accurate. And again, props to T1Kirk on the shipping box version. OMG. That is a work of Art.

I need to get to know you all better.
          —-
          “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Message, Spock?”
          - Admiral Kirk

"...surely, the best of times."
          - Captain Spock
          https://youtu.be/tOtKcJtahKQ

Comment

• Obi
            • Feb 1, 2010

I think I need to push expectations back a week. I'm going to try to re-work the astrogator and I may need to get more silicone...

Comment

• Meule
              Verbose Member
              • Nov 14, 2004

Take all the time you need. You can't rush anything this cool
              "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Captain
                Fighting the good fight!
                • Jun 17, 2001

Yep, take your time. This is amazing so far.

Question; Is this going to be all styrene, or are some of the components lexan as well? I'm just curious, as styrene typically is very thin, and I wonder if the "deck" would sag under the weight of the figures and console?
                "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by Captain
                  I'm just curious, as styrene typically is very thin, and I wonder if the "deck" would sag under the weight of the figures and console?
                  I had the same worry when I made mine out of cardboard so I put struts inside the deck about every inch or so not unlike building a floor of a house in miniature.
                  Worked out perfectly.
                  Made the deck really light but super strong and ridged.

Comment

• Obi
                    • Feb 1, 2010

Most of the components are lexan with styrene details and styrene reinforcements. The basefloors are lexan with the styrene diamond plate over it. It's pretty sturdy as is.

But the casts themselves will be made of resin and should also be sufficiently strong and durable.

Comment

• Mikey
                      Verbose Member
                      • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by Obi
                      But the casts themselves will be made of resin and should also be sufficiently strong and durable.
                      When you say resin, do you mean the same stuff custom Mego heads are cast out of ?

If so, that stuff is pretty brittle

I'd be afraid of parts breaking just during assembly

Comment

• Obi
                        • Feb 1, 2010

There are lots of different kinds of resin with different properties of hardness, etc. but I understand the concern. The resin I'm using is similar to that used to cast rockclimbing handholds. It's strong, but it will be in layers less than 1/4" thick and that might lead to differing strengths.

I will sell nothing until it's been tested independently by some folks here. If it's junk, we start over.
                        Last edited by Obi; Mar 4, '10, 11:29 AM.

Comment

• cdhall
                          Persistent Member
                          • Aug 14, 2004

OBI,

One (I just had to say Obi One somehow!), you have a great idea!
                          Two, you have an excellent plan to take your time and test it;
                          Three (since I started with One I have to keep this up...) you picked a great place to do this;
                          Four, I'm very excited that you will produce an excellent product particularly with all the expertise here to draw on.

So I'm expecting a great console! I may even want 2 so my son can have one.

God help me, I've duplicated myself. He is 11, Loves Megos, and now he has a more complete Emce collection than I do. I expect your console will be in a Dida display/playset for him and I hope to use one in my movie project. So I'm thinking I'll want 2 of them when they are ready. So your console created a Dida display sale and I went out and bought 2 Captain's chairs to boot. (I may have to check ToysRUs again later for another couple, but I should get a paycheck first...)

So take your time. It looks very nice so far. Progress pix rule. Post more if you can. I'm looking forward to this. Thank you very much.
                          —-
                          - Admiral Kirk

- Captain Spock

Comment

• Trelane
                            • Dec 20, 2009

Hey cdhall, are you still looking for a DST captain's chair? Hulk's selling them at a very reasonable price.
                            http://www.megomuseum.com/community/...ad.php?t=38250
                            Just thought I'd let you know in case you overlook that thread.

Comment

• cdhall
                              Persistent Member
                              • Aug 14, 2004

Thanks!

Originally posted by Trelane
                              Hey cdhall, are you still looking for a DST captain's chair? Hulk's selling them at a very reasonable price.
                              http://www.megomuseum.com/community/...ad.php?t=38250
                              Just thought I'd let you know in case you overlook that thread.
                              Thanks Trelane!

One of my new, and Very good buddies, actually sent me a TEXT about this.

MEGO MUSEUM IS AWESOME!

I posted on the thread to be subscribed. I will get a Sulu/Gorn from Hulk if I can, but I ordered 2 Capt Chairs from TRU Monday. They were on sale and I thought I had money...

Thank you!
                              —-
                              - Admiral Kirk

- Captain Spock

Comment

• sprytel
                                Talkative Member
                                • Jun 26, 2009

Any update on this project, Obi?

Comment

Working...
                                😀