Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Obi
    • Feb 1, 2010

Star Trek Helm Console

I'm in the process of making a custom Star Trek Helm Console and platform scaled to Mego figures for use with DST captain's chairs. While it won't be screen accurate it will be very close. My hope is to get a clean enough model to mold and cast it in resin.

I'm probably several weeks away from having my first casts. Would anyone be interested in buying such pieces if I were to produce them? They would require some final finishing, gluing, painting and application of decals/details.

I'm going to be looking for two people to build the first units to see how easily they come together and get some feedback. Once I'm satisfied that I've got something that works I'd start producing a few a week for sale.

Volunteers? Questions? Comments?

Thanks,
  • Meule
    Verbose Member
    • Nov 14, 2004

I'd be interested
    "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Obi
      • Feb 1, 2010

Great.

I'll send a PM when I've got a prototype to send and get your address.

Comment

• Meule
        Verbose Member
        • Nov 14, 2004

Sweet
        "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Trelane
          • Dec 20, 2009

I'd be interested as well.

Comment

• Obi
            • Feb 1, 2010

Excellent.

There are my two volunteers to test drive...as I said to Meule, I'll PM once I've got a prototype to ship.

Comment

• Trelane
              • Dec 20, 2009

Originally posted by Obi
              Excellent.

There are my two volunteers to test drive...as I said to Meule, I'll PM once I've got a prototype to ship.
              Sounds great, thanks!

Comment

• wyldpny
                Star Trek Mego Customizer
                • Jan 29, 2008

You can add me to the list of interested parties as well

Steve
                Capt. Kirk: "Is there anyone on this ship, who even remotely, looks like Satan?"
                Mr. Spock: "I am not aware of anyone who fits that description, Captain"
                Capt. Kirk: "No, Mr. Spock, I didn't think you would be"

Comment

• Captain
                  Fighting the good fight!
                  • Jun 17, 2001

I would like to see it first. How much are you asking?
                  "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• Obi
                    • Feb 1, 2010

I haven't settled on a price. But I hope to keep the entire thing under $30-$35 (that's the console, support stand/astrogater, two chairs, helm platform and captain's chair platform, decals and control panel jewels.

I totally understand wanting to see it first. Frankly, so do I.

Hopefully I'll hit most of the major things right with the prototypes so I can go into production quickly once those two have been scrutinized, built and such by Meule and Trelane. I might not have made it clear that the prototypes are free to the two testers.
                    Last edited by Obi; Feb 4, '10, 10:58 PM. Reason: calrify a point

Comment

• batty
                      Museum Super Collector
                      • Mar 9, 2006

I would definately be interested! Please post some pics with prices when finished.

Comment

• Obi
                        • Feb 1, 2010

Inspiriled by the custom batmobile thread, I thought I'd post some progress pics.

The project started with DST's captain's chair and the Starfleet Technical Manual.

I started out trying to mold sculpey. While I had some success, it was clear that creating long flat pieces was very challenging.

So I backtracked and made a quick foamcore model with a friend.

Once I had my angles and dimensions better figured out I proceeded to making the prototype. I could not find sturdy enough styrene so I worked this up using small styrene pieces and larger pieces of transparent materials. This stuff is tough to cut. Here you see the console and the front trapezoid support pylon.

Then we have the base plate. This has styrene on top that is in a diamond plate pattern. It adds a great scale, even if it's not screen accurate.

This is the first attempt to create a 3D console with cutouts for control jewels. I need a better dremel/router/drill press, but you get the idea.

Fabrication and such takes patience and time. I hope to have cast-worthy pieces by the first week of March.

Comment

• txteach
                          Banned
                          • Jun 17, 2005

Ummmm WOW! Very nice!

Comment

• Trelane
                            • Dec 20, 2009

WOW!
                            This is looking absolutely gorgeous. Can't wait to get my hands on one, extraordinary work, Obi!

Comment

• Obi
                              • Feb 1, 2010

A few more pics for scale.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍