X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YoungOnce
    Career Member
    • Aug 29, 2007

Originally posted by The Toyroom
    ^ You and me both....brutha I love the show too much to be a total hater but I definitely feel like I was on the end of a Long Con....
    Exactly.

Went and saw the NY Times talk this past Thurday with Damon and Carlton.

They kept repeating that they hoped folks would see that it was really just a character-driven show all along... about the relationships of the people. You could tell that they were preparing folks for a finale without answers to the islands mysteries.

That's fine if that's what it was, but if they had told everyone at the beginning "hey... this show is really about the relationships and don't count on us giving you answers to these numbers, Walt, and all this other crazy stuff about the island we've been pointing out like it's really important, just enjoy those relationship arcs"

I think that a lot of folks wouldn't be harping that we have indeed been long-conned.

I don't want to sound like I didn't love the show, I did. But we have to admit at this point that we were snookered not just a little, but a lot.

Comment

• z3zep
      The Girl Next Door
      • Sep 30, 2006

Yeah much of the Dharma/Others/Ben/Widmore stuff has gone unanswered.
      Hopefully the supposed additional 20 minutes on the DVD will answer these questions....If not maybe the Lost Encyclopedia that comes out in August will shed some light? But you really shouldn't have to go out beyond the actual TV series to get the answers IMO.
      The unresolved Widmore and Dharma stories are my greatest disappointments. Widmore was rich and successful and apparently very powerful in the outside world, why was he so obsessed with the island? It is not like if he got back he would be immortal. Was it just a personal vandetta against Ben?

The Dharma background and build-up with the hatches? The door map... That was all just background junk? crap!

Originally posted by JDeRouen
      As it played out, the explosion of Jughead had absolutely no consequence whatsoever. That, along with a ton of unanswered questions, annoys me.
      The bomb also bothers me.... It just made for a great season 5 ending and was the gise for the alt reality.
      Last edited by z3zep; May 24, '10, 12:25 PM.

Comment

• steelcouch
        Career Member
        • Feb 11, 2006

In my opinion I think the story took a wild dive. To many questions to be answers for the producers. The only obvious ending was to say that they were all dead and in purgatory. Was simpler than trying to answer all the questions brought about by the differant going ons of the island.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

my take on Dharma is that they were exactly what the show always said, scientific researchers doing their thing on this mysterious island. the food drops came from the Dharma funding and setup on the mainland - wherever that may actually have been. LA?
          I did think they killed off several characters too quickly without really answering their purpose - Whidmore - but was happy that they brought Lapidus back. I question whether they actually got away from the island in the plane though since Kate and Sawyer were both on board and both at the church. You notice Lapidus and Miles were not at the church with them.

Comment

• z3zep
            The Girl Next Door
            • Sep 30, 2006

I think I can answer the Walt questions:

The Others kidnapped him because, they thought he was going to be the next leader?

Walt was written out or the show because he grew too much. Mr. Ecko was written out because he didn't want to return to the show and be stuck in Hawaii.

That is why they are not in the finale.

Comment

• The Toyroom
              The Packaging King
              • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
              I question whether they actually got away from the island in the plane though since Kate and Sawyer were both on board and both at the church. You notice Lapidus and Miles were not at the church with them.
              They got off the island....Christian said that some people died "long after" Jack...so I'm assuming that Claire, Kate, Sawyer, Miles, Lapidus and Richard all got home safely. At some point Claire, Kate and Sawyer passed away and when they did they entered this timeless purgatory until everyone was "ready" to move on to the afterlife.

The theory is that Lapidus and Miles, although they spent time on the island with these folks, did not have the emotional ties that the others had. I would question though Miles, who seemed to bond with Hurley and was "Enos" to Sawyer's sheriff in Dharmaville. Perhaps they have not passed on yet....
              Last edited by The Toyroom; May 24, '10, 1:02 PM.
              Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• The Toyroom
                The Packaging King
                • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by z3zep
                I think I can answer the Walt questions:

The Others kidnapped him because, they thought he was going to be the next leader?
                At one point Ben said that Walt was a little more than they bargained for...whatever that means I don't know....and they let him go with Michael back to the real world.

Comment

• Adam West
                  Museum CPA
                  • Apr 14, 2003

Wow....I think I must have missed the mark. I took the ending to mean that they all died in the initial plane crash by showing all the wreckage again. When Christian said some people died "long after Jack", I just presumed he meant characters that showed up on the island after the plane crash....Farraday, etc. They died and ended up on the island. All of the flashbacks, flashforwards, sideways, and experiences on the island were just letting go of memories that occurred, memories that might have occurred, etc.

With that said, I did like the ending. With the show taking on such a life of its own; I don't think there could have been any ending that would have satisfied. My own son thought maybe Jack realized in the alternate universe that John Locke was really MIB killed him during the surgery bringing an end to that but not sure if that would have satisfied. I thought maybe it would end with Hurley waking back up in the mental hospital and realized that all of this was some type of pyschotic episode that took place in his mind.

My son thought for sure that
                  "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
                  ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• Adam West
                    Museum CPA
                    • Apr 14, 2003

Either way, definitely my favorite series on television and never stopped watching from day 1. I did tape Jimmy Kimmel so I'll be interested to watch this evening when I get home. My son did say he was still Lost as to what happened. I told him I don't think it kind of left it up to the individual viewer to decide what happened with no definitive answers. Otherwise, it just drives you crazy when you try to think about it too much which is exactly how I think they wanted to end it.
                    "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
                    ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• StrangeVisitor
                      Career Member
                      • May 13, 2007

Originally posted by Adam West
                      I thought maybe it would end with Hurley waking back up in the mental hospital and realized that all of this was some type of pyschotic episode that took place in his mind.

My son thought for sure that
                      That would've been way too close to the St Elsewhere series finale.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                        The Packaging King
                        • Dec 31, 2004

I watched all of the Sideways parts today from the finale and I'm more content with the ending...The slow-motion character montages were always one of my favorite elements of Lost and I'm sorta glad it ended with everyone finding each other again, including characters that died that we wrote off many seasons ago, like Boone and Shannon. I would have preferred a real Sidewaysworld or island reunion but I guess I'll take what I can get. I like the characters too much to be p.o.ed at their final destination.

However, I still feel that they fell waaaay short on the island mythology they had built up for 6 years. I had to resort to EW's Doc Jensen to "enlighten" me on the whole island cork thing and what all that mumbo jumbo probably meant.

But a lot of other stuff still bothers me...too many to list....

Comment

• StrangeVisitor
                          Career Member
                          • May 13, 2007

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                          I think the idea with those not there - Michael, Echo, Anna Lucia, was that they are still stuck the island in purgatory, for their sins.
                          I don't think so because it was Jacob's rule that nobody could leave the island - apparently even after they were dead since this is the source of the whispering voices - once the island was under new management (ie Hurley) it's implied that new rules came into being and keeping their souls there isn't something Hurley would want.

Ecko & Anna Lucia weren't there because they weren't as tight with the rest of the group. That also might be the reason Michael wasn't there but I suspect it's really because if Michael were there then people would ask why isn't Walt there too. The answer being Malcolm (the actor playing Walt) has grown up a LOT.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                            The Packaging King
                            • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by StrangeVisitor
                            I don't think so because it was Jacob's rule that nobody could leave the island -
                            Like I said....Jacob was poor island management

Comment

• Paul Evans
                              Career Member
                              • Jun 19, 2001

The theory is that Lapidus and Miles, although they spent time on the island with these folks, did not have the emotional ties that the others had. I would question though Miles, who seemed to bond with Hurley and was "Enos" to Sawyer's sheriff in Dharmaville. Perhaps they have not passed on yet....
                              Actually, I realize it wasn't really shown "on screen", but Miles spent THREE YEARS with Sawyer, Jin and Juliette at Dharmaville (a small, isolated community). Though not shown, their bond would have been stronger than any other on the show, save for Jin/Sun and Bernard/Rose.

How long did Sawyer really know Kate after all? Hurley might have loved Sawyer, but he didn't spend 3 years with him living next door like Miles did.

The Oceanic Six spent the same 3 years stateside, but they were not together in a small, isolated community. They were all doing their own thing in different places.

The writers screwed up by not further exploring the Dharmaville bonds, but I guess they only had so much time...
                              "They say no man can resist them."

Comment

• Paul Evans
                                Career Member
                                • Jun 19, 2001

The jughead bomb is my greatest disappointment at the moment.

I didn't like the detonation, but I bought into it when I saw the flashsideways (and assumed an alternate universe was created).

Now that the flashsideways has been found out to be pergatory, I realize there were absolutely no consequences of the H-Bomb detonation. NONE!

Yeah, great...Kate gets tossed in a tree and there's a nice crater. That's it? REALLY?

We're told that everything that happend on the island was real...right?

Let me clue in the dunderhead writers: an H-Bomb detonation is gonna vaporize some people standing at ground zero.

That crater and those scorch marks results in no deaths whatsoever?

Jack, Kate, Sawyer, Juliette, Hurley, Miles, Jin and Sayid should have been not just killed...but mushroomed! Wiped out! Obliterated! Removed from existence! Especially Juliette, laying next to the bomb!

To treat viewers as if they're mindless fools is disrespectful. Pretty dang insulting.

The next time I hear "from the writers/creators of LOST"...I may just have to pass!
                                "They say no man can resist them."

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎