Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

^ That's what I was thinking about the mom...there's no way she could slaughter that village single-handedly unless she had some Smokey help...

There's a LOT of unanswered questions that unfortunately will never be answered. Even though the light was cheesy like Scott said, I'm willing to suspend disbelief for the sake of "magic". But I would like to know WHERE the "mom" came from and how she learned about or was chosen as the protector of the "light". She obviously knew about what happens when you enter the light, as she described it as worse than death.

So that's why I think she was the original "Smokey"...and she couldn't kill herself so she was grateful when MIB stabbed her...ending her eternal life and her responsibility to be the protector.
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• The Toyroom
      The Packaging King
      • Dec 31, 2004

The mom also seemed to be a bit "Jacobian"...as she left out that backgammon game purposely so MIB would find it...and I also think it was possible that she pulled a "Smokey" masquerade as Claudia's ghost to manipulate MIB into leaving which ultimately pit him against Jacob and eventually caused him to kill her, which seemed to be what she wanted in the long run. Or the long con, as it were...

Comment

• The Toyroom
        The Packaging King
        • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by MegoScott
        WRONG
        I wasn't gonna bring that up

Comment

• The Toyroom
          The Packaging King
          • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by MegoScott
          But--I wouldn't want to be the person to replace Jacob. I liked how Maybe this whole thing SHOULD come to an end. "It only ends once..."
          I'm hoping/praying that it does "end once" and the Sideways universe becomes the main timeline with all our heroes resurrected but also knowledgeable about what went on before. Best of both worlds, not a total cop-out and a happy ending for all....

Comment

• The Toyroom
            The Packaging King
            • Dec 31, 2004

Hey, at least we learned why the Others always spoke Latin to each other....it's MIB and Jacob's native language

Comment

• megoscott
              Founding Partner
              • Nov 17, 2006

Man, there is so much hatred on the net right now for this episode, it's unsettling. I feel like a moron for not being outraged and disappointed.
              This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                The Packaging King
                • Dec 31, 2004

Really? What's the beef? I usually stay away from the Lost fanatic message boards because they really seem to get hostile...

Comment

• megoscott
                  Founding Partner
                  • Nov 17, 2006

Yeah, good policy.

There's no way I can summarize, too overwhelming. No name for MIB (Who cares?) not enough explanation for how the Island works, not enough info about the Island's past, the light was cheesy, MIB transformation unexplained, acting bad, dialog bad, episode should have come sooner in the season, Jack said the Adam and Eve clothes looked 50 years old back in S01...it goes on and on.
                  This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                    The Packaging King
                    • Dec 31, 2004

I just was reading some over at the EW site..... I used to frequent the ABC boards after episodes a couple of years ago but everyone was always flaming each other and off-season was virtually pointless...

No name for MIB? That's the point....it doesn't matter what his name is/was....only what he's become IMO. Plus, it's sorta like that Family Guy joke about Noah's Ark...once you name "it", it becomes a little bit harder to disassociate it yourself from it, or in this case if you name him, especially this late in the season, you might garner some sympathy for him, and the producers don't want that at this point (although last night's ep made me a bit sympathetic toward MIB cuz he got hosed....

I was hoping for more of an explanation about the Island itself or at least more about "mom....But I can chalk it up to her just being another victim of the Island's charms somehow and it doesn't matter I guess where she originally came from...

But it would be nice to know how she knows what it is that she knows...

I get the feeling she wasn't totally honest in all of her answers to Jacob and MIB and she was pulling a long con on both of them....

Seems like she was both Guardian of the Island AND the Smoke Monster and was setting things up for both sons to help her out of her misery and lunacy.

Acting bad? Yeah that's what happens when you work with kids....Didn't WC Fields advise against that? Adult MIB though is awesome...no matter who is playing him

As far as Jack's comment on the skeletons' clothing, well 1) He's a doctor, Jim, not a fashion designer and 2) Obviously it was a throwaway line in Season 1 and the producers at the time had NO IDEA who the skeletons would turn out to be. I highly doubt Jacob and MIB were even thought up in Season 1. But as they set an end date and the need came to move the story along, Jacob was created and then Smokey transformed (ironically) into the MIB character to tie things together.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                      The Packaging King
                      • Dec 31, 2004

Was the episode a "Constant"? No...but it did add a nice chunk to the Lost mythology. And as always, one answer in the world of Lost yields two or more questions. But the episode wasn't as bad as Jack's venture into Bai Ling and him getting a tattoo...

Comment

• samurainoir
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Dec 26, 2006

I'm just amazed that they have been able to make as much sense of it as they have since there has obviously been a huge chunk of "making it up as they go along" to the loose spine of the show.

At this point I'm fully prepared for a more metaphysical or even philosophical ending to the story, in the vein of The Prisoner.
                        My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• spamn
                          Minty and All-Original!
                          • Mar 28, 2002

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                          So that's why I think she was the original "Smokey"...and she couldn't kill herself so she was grateful when MIB stabbed her...ending her eternal life and her responsibility to be the protector.
                          But Smokey MIB is impervious to knives and bullets. Why would a knife kill her if she was a smoke monster. I'm more inclined to think she was like Jacob. Mystically and mysteriously powerful (how in the world did she kill everyone and fill in the hole by herself?), but physically vulnerable.
                          Originally posted by The Toyroom
                          The mom also seemed to be a bit "Jacobian"...as she left out that backgammon game purposely so MIB would find it...and I also think it was possible that she pulled a "Smokey" masquerade as Claudia's ghost to manipulate MIB into leaving which ultimately pit him against Jacob and eventually caused him to kill her, which seemed to be what she wanted in the long run. Or the long con, as it were...
                          I assumed she was lying about the game, to perpetuate the lie that there was a world beyond the island. If she hadn't said that, MIB would've known there were other people in the world, might've realised he came from the ship.
                          Originally posted by samurainoir
                          I'm just amazed that they have been able to make as much sense of it as they have since there has obviously been a huge chunk of "making it up as they go along" to the loose spine of the show.

At this point I'm fully prepared for a more metaphysical or even philosophical ending to the story, in the vein of The Prisoner.
                          I'm a little - but only a little - bugged that all of a sudden we have magic and myth as the center of the story. When the show first started, the producers said everything that happened on the show could be explained by science. Maybe they didn't mean 'everything' everything.

I'm also miffed that we don't get to know who Claudia was and how she got there - explaining the origin of the island was something I expected as part of the wrap up. This is leaving more unanswered than I'd like.

I hope we find out what specifically happened to the 'light' in the island to make the explanation of the island being the source of all good in the world when Claudia described it to the thing that kept bad from leaving and destroying the world. Is it related to to MIB being ppushed in there? Is Smokey really the MIB or just something else in the shape of him because he was trying to manipulate Jacob?

I hope we find out WHY there are rules and WHY they have to be followed, and what the punishment is for breaking them - or if they CAN be broken. Clearly some can, or Alex wouldn't have been executed.

I don't know. I don't think they're going to answer many of my questions.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                            The Packaging King
                            • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by spamn
                            But Smokey MIB is impervious to knives and bullets. Why would a knife kill her if she was a smoke monster.
                            I'm not necessarily sure that the MIB is impervious to knives...Remember, Dogen gave Sayid instructions to stab MIB/Locke with the knife BEFORE he could utter a word...to paraphrase Dogen "Once you let him speak, it is already to late". So the theory is if MIB/Locke didn't say "Hello" to Sayid first, Sayid could have stabbed him and killed him. Instead, the stabbing didn't do anything. The knife Dogen gave Sayid is the same knife that pre-MIB stabbed his "mother" with. He snuck up quietly and stabbed her before she could utter a word...She then preceeded to say "nothing" and then thanked him (because apparently she couldn't kill herself as per "the rules").

If she had some sort of Smokey powers, as per my theory, that would explain how she was able to lay waste to the "Others" and create earthly havoc which would seal in the well and then torch the place after the fact... All in a "Jacobian" (or maybe "MIBian") effort to p.o. pre-MIB and goad him into killing her.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                              The Packaging King
                              • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by spamn
                              I assumed she was lying about the game, to perpetuate the lie that there was a world beyond the island. If she hadn't said that, MIB would've known there were other people in the world, might've realised he came from the ship.
                              I watched it again and it appears like she might have been lying...There were a lot of subtleties in Allison Janney's performance that I missed the first time around that make me think now she was pulling a long con on both boys since the beginning....
                              Last edited by The Toyroom; May 13, '10, 9:33 PM.

Comment

• Paul Evans
                                Career Member
                                • Jun 19, 2001

I've been a fan of this show from the start.

For many seasons, I was one of those looking for Easter Eggs, clues, hidden stuff and even reading stuff on message boards.

Eventually, the show started getting old for me and I stopped doing all that stuff.

Last season was the BEST! The time jumps and everything were GREAT!

This season has frustrated me beyond belief. Enduring pointless flash sideways with more Claire, Sun, Jin, Kate and the like has just been too much for me. Even the episodes with my favorite characters (Sayid and Desmond) have really dragged and seemed to have no point.

This weeks episode, the lighthouse ep and Richard's flashback were the only bright points for me.

Now, I'm pretty much watching because I've invested too much time to quit. But it feels like the end of a long project at work: I'm happy to have reached the conclusion, but even more grateful that it's over with...
                                "They say no man can resist them."

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎