X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DavidCoppola
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 3, 2009

Why no Batman or Superman on the cover?

I love the book, but always wondered why the flagship 2 characters were not featured on the cover?
    On the back they included Hulk, Spiderman, Cap, and other signature Marvel characters.
  • Orion
    Museum Night Watchman
    • Mar 11, 2008

Originally posted by DavidCoppola
    I love the book, but always wondered why the flagship 2 characters were not featured on the cover?
    On the back they included Hulk, Spiderman, Cap, and other signature Marvel characters.
    Check out this link: Mego 8" Super-Heroes Making of: The Book Cover s Greatest Toys!
    The original design for the cover had that great Superfriends feel to it - but was converted to the cover page.

Comment

• DavidCoppola
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 3, 2009

I like both, but the question is still raised about he omission of Supes and Bats in the released version.

Comment

• The Toyroom
        The Packaging King
        • Dec 31, 2004

I believe that DC asked for Supes and Bats to be removed from the cover because around the same time they had their own guide to DC Action Figures (by Scott Beatty) coming out and Supes and Bats (and WW) were prominently featured on the cover to that book.
        Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Meule
          Verbose Member
          • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by The Toyroom
          I believe that DC asked for Supes and Bats to be removed from the cover because around the same time they had their own guide to DC Action Figures (by Scott Beatty) coming out and Supes and Bats (and WW) were prominently featured on the cover to that book.
          True
          "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• imp
            Mego Book Author
            • Apr 20, 2003

It's true. I wanted both Batman and Superman on the cover, but DC wouldn't allow it for the reason mentioned above (Scott Beatty).

It was frustrating, but DC could have pulled the plug on my book, so I didn't mind changing the cover.

-b

Comment

• Wee67
              Museum Correspondent
              • Apr 2, 2002

That's why I only bought 4 copies of this book.
              WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                MeGoing
                • May 14, 2003

Originally posted by imp
                It's true. I wanted both Batman and Superman on the cover, but DC wouldn't allow it for the reason mentioned above (Scott Beatty).

It was frustrating, but DC could have pulled the plug on my book, so I didn't mind changing the cover.

-b
                Wow, that is frustrating...

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Even more frustrating when you read the Beatty book, looked like it was thrown together in an afternoon.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• boynightwing
                    That Carl Guy
                    • Apr 24, 2002

That's interesting to know. I kinda thought maybe it was a cost issue. Like it cost more for the big 3 to be on the cover. Then I wondered why not put the Marvels on the front?

But since Batgirl and Robin are my favorites, I'm happy with the cover as it is now.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Jan 19, 2008

There were supposed to be two different covers. One was going to be for the "limited edition", but wound up on both versions. I wanted to have at least a dust jacket for the $75.00 book to make it different from the "regular" $50.00 version. Now from the cover you can't tell the difference between them. I bought both versions and they look identical. What I really wanted was the signed copy to have the Marvel art from the back on the front and the DC picture on the back. I think Marvel on the front would have been a better eye catcher than DC. I think the goofy grinning green flowermobile looks silly. I think the Joker van was a bad idea to make. At least the the colors. It maybe should have been purple with a green top. Like his costumes look.
                      Love the book. Want a Marvel dust jacket.

Comment

• imp
                        Mego Book Author
                        • Apr 20, 2003

Cover Clarification from the Author

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
                        There were supposed to be two different covers.
                        Hunh?

One was going to be for the "limited edition", but wound up on both versions.
                        Lonnie, that isn't accurate. I did design two different covers, but only because DC forced me to change my original design, depicting Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman.

I wanted to have at least a dust jacket for the $75.00 book to make it different from the "regular" $50.00 version. Now from the cover you can't tell the difference between them. I bought both versions and they look identical.
                        First, I appreciate you supporting the book! Second, an alternate book cover was never offered. The Collectors Edition did include "a full-color promotional postcard, featuring an alternate design for the book's cover." Despite the bullet points, you were apparently confused, and that's unfortunate. Here's the exclusive offering on the publisher's site, including the problematic language:

TwoMorrows Collectors Edition

(The Collectors Edition is sold out, so I'm not sure why it's still being offered anyway.)

What I really wanted was the signed copy to have the Marvel art from the back on the front and the DC picture on the back.
                        That would have been cool, but no way the publisher would have paid for it. If you like, I can send you both the Marvel and the DC photos, and you could make your own dust jacket.

If anyone wants to read some real stories about the book cover, I published two Blogs about it, both from 2007, before the book was actually released:

The Official Book Cover

and

Making Of: The Book Cover

-b

Comment

• clemso
                          Talkative Member
                          • Aug 8, 2001

I love this cover so much better, it should at least be a wall poster or trading card

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by imp
                            Hunh?

Lonnie, that isn't accurate. I did design two different covers, but only because DC forced me to change my original design, depicting Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman.

First, I appreciate you supporting the book! Second, an alternate book cover was never offered. The Collectors Edition did include "a full-color promotional postcard, featuring an alternate design for the book's cover." Despite the bullet points, you were apparently confused, and that's unfortunate. Here's the exclusive offering on the publisher's site, including the problematic language:

TwoMorrows Collectors Edition

(The Collectors Edition is sold out, so I'm not sure why it's still being offered anyway.)

That would have been cool, but no way the publisher would have paid for it. If you like, I can send you both the Marvel and the DC photos, and you could make your own dust jacket.

If anyone wants to read some real stories about the book cover, I published two Blogs about it, both from 2007, before the book was actually released:

The Official Book Cover

and

Making Of: The Book Cover

-b
                            That's funny, when I talked extensively to the publisher, (not sure which Morrow brother it was) they told me it was going to have two different covers. Which is why I bought two from them. I talked to them a few times. At great lengths. I also had (have?) plans to write a Mego book. It wouldn't have been anything like yours. Well, lots of the same characters, just totally different content and subject matter. So I was GROSSLY MISLED! But I guess it got a second copy sold to me. I was told there were going to be two covers, one for the regular and one for the signed edition. I even talked to them about the change in cover when it was announced. And from what they told me back then, somebody else was putting a star trek mego book together. Maybe that wasn't true either...
                            Last edited by LonnieFisher; Jan 30, '10, 5:14 AM.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Jan 19, 2008

A little off topic, but you should see the terrible condition my book is! It hasn't started falling apart yet, but it is very, very worn. I used to take it with me every where I went. Always in my backpack. On the bus, on the train. At work. Everywhere! Anybody else overuse and abuse their book?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎