Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CrimsonGhost
    Often invisible
    • Jul 18, 2002

can we see some of your work because honestly i dont think anyone on here can come close to Charlees sculpts except for a select few.
    Sure, check out Mattel's Retro Action Sinestro and Green Lantern. Those are mine.
    Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Anarchy
      Career Member
      • May 26, 2009

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
      Sure, check out Mattel's Retro Action Sinestro and Green Lantern. Those are mine.
      I'm not trying to offend but im just not a fan of them. The sinestro sculpt is ok, i dont like the lantern sculpt i think that superman sculpt is terrible, but its alot better then anything i can do thats for sure. case in point put the flatt sinestro sculpt in front of me and that one in front of me im not gonna choose the mattel one.
      Last edited by Anarchy; Jan 23, '10, 3:46 PM.
      Check out my website dedicated to custom as well as classic and modern action figures! My Charlee Flatt Dedicated website

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
        Often invisible
        • Jul 18, 2002

Please post a pic of Flatts Sinestro.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
          Often invisible
          • Jul 18, 2002

Oh, and I'm not offended, but please be specific about what you don't like like I was with Charlees work.

You seemed to be calling out my credentials as far as what I know about sculpting, and I feel that getting professional work as a sculptor (as well as being a professional artist for over 15 years) should say i'm not just some ham-and-egger.

Again, I wasn't trying to insult Charlee's work, I was just pointing out the anatomical mistakes he makes.

Comment

• Blackkryptonite
            Persistent Member
            • Jun 28, 2006

With all due respect to Charlee, his work is top notch and we'd all certainly be a little less evolved if he hadn't really started doing what he does. I think Charlee's best attribute to his figures is his attention to detail to his figures costumes and accessories. His head sculpts are okay but definitely not his best quality. There are several Museum members and I believe are equal to and even exceed Flatt's work. Again, no disrespect to Charlee. I would have never gotten involved in the hobby if it hadn't been for him and ye ole Capt. Dunsel.

Comment

• megozilla13
              Persistent Member
              • May 10, 2002

Originally posted by huedell
              I have to agree...

....about somewhere in the early 2000s Charlee's "uniqueness"
              began to disappear like "tear drops in rain" (so to speak),
              and all the talent 'round these parts began to show....

In the end, Charlee is more of a "pioneer icon"
              than "the leading superhero figure/doll maker".

And, really, I always thought Charlee's strength was his figure rendering
              as a WHOLE while his sculpts on their own were pretty hit and miss.

I agree with the hit and miss but when it came to the hits like Deadpool, Daredevil, Asylum Joker, Cyclops, Red Skull, I've yet to see someone come close.
              Hue, correct me if I'm wrong but your statement is based on pics you've seen of Charlee's work not from seeing actual finished figures.
              His "uniqueness" as you call it is a style that was his own and although some have borrowed from it, if you collect 50 custom Batmans from 50 different customizers, if you were familiar with his work, you could pick out the flatt, and............... if you took the heads off those 50 customs you would still be able to pick it out.

Charlee would always be the first to tell you that he wasn't a sculptor. I always thought his greatest strengths were his sewing and tailoring. The body alterations he made at a time when no one was doing it. The accessories he would make from scratch that were so perfect they could have been factory made, and maybe most importantly his huge body of work.

If Charlee isn't the leading superhero/doll maker, then who is?

mikej
              WANTED: Removable Mask ROBIN on Kresge style card

Comment

• Anarchy
                Career Member
                • May 26, 2009

Oh, and I'm not offended, but please be specific about what you don't like like I was with Charlees work.

You seemed to be calling out my credentials as far as what I know about sculpting, and I feel that getting professional work as a sculptor (as well as being a professional artist for over 15 years) should say i'm not just some ham-and-egger.

Again, I wasn't trying to insult Charlee's work, I was just pointing out the anatomical mistakes he makes.
                like i said man not trying to offend all due respect for even being able to sculpt that good. i cant even get anywhere near that, tonight i'll post a pic of flatts sinestro on the site i think i only have the toyfare cover with sinestro on it
                Check out my website dedicated to custom as well as classic and modern action figures! My Charlee Flatt Dedicated website

Comment

• starsky
                  veteran member
                  • Aug 26, 2007

Originally posted by megozilla13
                  I agree with the hit and miss but when it came to the hits like Deadpool, Daredevil, Asylum Joker, Cyclops, Red Skull, I've yet to see someone come close.
                  Hue, correct me if I'm wrong but your statement is based on pics you've seen of Charlee's work not from seeing actual finished figures.
                  His "uniqueness" as you call it is a style that was his own and although some have borrowed from it, if you collect 50 custom Batmans from 50 different customizers, if you were familiar with his work, you could pick out the flatt, and............... if you took the heads off those 50 customs you would still be able to pick it out.

Charlee would always be the first to tell you that he wasn't a sculptor. I always thought his greatest strengths were his sewing and tailoring. The body alterations he made at a time when no one was doing it. The accessories he would make from scratch that were so perfect they could have been factory made, and maybe most importantly his huge body of work.

mikej

amen to that mike! charlee's strength was not sculpting but in sewing and attention to the details of the character. and dont forget charlee's hal jordan green lantern! one of my faves, and i still have the one i bought from you!!

Comment

• huedell
                    Museum Ball Eater
                    • Dec 31, 2003

...those are, as you've indicated, his "hits"
                    and AFAIC there were many more "misses" than "hits".

Even with the sculpts you mentioned, I still think there have been
                    better sculpts rendered...or at LEAST "as good" of sculpts
                    rendered than some of those...but, frankly I'm not about
                    to get into a "shooting" match over which ones

ESPECIALLY since at the moment I am too lazy to re-examine
                    people's past work
                    and Lord forbid post stuff (I stink at posting pics)

....and ALSO especially because it's already agreed that
                    his sculpting wasn't all that hot to begin with.

In other words, re: sculpts...Charlee is easily trumped.

(actually I WILL mention some names at the close of this post,
                    but it still hurts me to do it because I know I'm leaving out
                    a lot of vital customizer info)

Hue, correct me if I'm wrong but your statement is based on pics you've seen
                    of Charlee's work not from seeing actual finished figures.
                    I'm guessing that by "actual finished figures" you merely mean seeing them
                    in person?

If that is true, you are right.

Frankly, Charlee's work never interested me enough to see it in person
                    and neither have the "gushing" of those that have purchased his
                    figures.

I've bought billions of 8 inch figures... customs and otherwise....
                    from online pics...

and I'm pretty convinced that no amount of "in person"
                    viewing is gonna have a significant impact on my tastes.

Usually this "in person" thing just sounds like overkill from happy customers...

...not that there's anything wrong with that,

but it's just an 8 inch clothed figure for cripes sake...
                    and BEING an 8 inch clothed figure it's easily enough
                    captured by a few well shot pics

a happy customer had to be impressed by the online pics of Charlee's work
                    before getting it "in person". And I haven't been that impressed.

Especially for the high price tag.

That kind of "game" would mean something to me if I enjoyed Charlee's
                    sculpt style in first place...I don't...so the point is moot.

HOWEVER, I do think it''s pretty cool that YOU and others
                    feel that way, and I am impressed by Charlee's ability
                    to create that kind of impact "artistically" in spite of my personal disinterest.

Charlee would always be the first to tell you that he wasn't a sculptor.
                    So, you're saying he agrees with me? Aw, you know what I mean.
                    No reason to make excuses. Either one likes his sculpts... or they don't.

I always thought his greatest strengths were his sewing and tailoring. The body alterations he made at a time when no one was doing it. The accessories he would make from scratch that were so perfect they could have been factory made, and maybe most importantly his huge body of work.
                    And THAT ^^^ is what I was getting at in my previous post.
                    Charlee has accomplished a LOT and I'd be ignorant if
                    I did not see that.

It certainly isn't Charlee IMO....style-wise and especially
                    pound for pound "money to figure" ratio.

TYPE3TOYS, BLACK KNIGHT etc. etc. (I'm ashamed to say I can't
                    exactly recall who else altho' there are quite a few others)
                    do incredible quality work that stands up to Charlee's work....

....even a guy like Ed Nagy who does a lot more simpler work has
                    a better eye for proprtions of acessories and just as good an eye if not better
                    for headsculpts most notably when it comes to facial features
                    and their "geometry"...I present the CREEPER sculpt he made YEARS ago
                    as a great example. It's not as detailed as some of Charlee's sculpts but
                    it looks more "correct" to me. Charlee's come off too abstract
                    in many of his facial sculpts for my tastes.
                    "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Anarchy
                      Career Member
                      • May 26, 2009

mikej
                      Mike, exactly theres something about his joker or his year one bats, or his deadpool that noone has come close to them, look at that year one and you could have 50 different batmans but to me that year one or that deadpool is just simply amazing.

Comment

• Anarchy
                        Career Member
                        • May 26, 2009

All i've got is this crappy scanned photo from the toyfare issue but you can get the point of how the figure looks, and its not that i'm bashing you in any way, utmost respect for what you do, i wasnt excited over the "new megos" maybe its because the sculpts are meant to look like megos, maybe if i saw more moderized versions of say sinestro or green lantern i would like them more. I think the green arrow sculpt on the new retro figs is the best out of the bunch but i hear they just made a few changes to the mego green arrow head.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

Wow, did not know who did the headsculpts for Mattel. Congrats. I personally prefer your look to the sometimes constipated look of the Flatts. Your Sinestro is dead perfect. There are several customizers on this board that have outpaced Charlee, Type3Toys, BK and Captain Mego come to mind.
                          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Meule
                            Verbose Member
                            • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by Anarchy
                            while the work here is nice, theres just something to say about someone who can make a figure as a whole; without boosting a head, shrinking a head, enlarging a head, while im not taking away anything from anyone who does this I stand by that a select few can do what charlee did. with that said, I think james bradys heads are incredible, type3toys sewing is also incredible, and a select few that can make a figure as a whole.

Someone show me a green arrow, a joker a year one bats better then charlees, and IMO it cant be done.
                            BK, Type 3 Toys and Captain Mego make figures as a whole and they outdo Flatt if you ask me
                            You wanna talk sculpts? Check out Derek's latest Joker sculpt.
                            Neal Adams Joker head sculpt - Mego Talk
                            Or Jessica's work
                            President of the Assembly, Planet of the Apes - Mego Talk

To name but a few
                            Last edited by Meule; Jan 24, '10, 7:45 AM.
                            "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Blackkryptonite
                              Persistent Member
                              • Jun 28, 2006

The forum is loaded with talent and it's always a joy to see what each of us come up with and to watch how our talents progress. I really wish Charlee could take some time to join us now and then.

Comment

• ctc
                                Fear the monkeybat!
                                • Aug 16, 2001

>i dont think anyone on here can come close to Charlees sculpts except for a select few.

Don C.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎