Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

^ Right BK....if we're goning to say it's a "dead-on" likeness to Neal Adams' Joker, it better look like the aforementioned Batman #251...which it does not.

As for the Emperor Joker look, yes the costuming appears accurate but it does not match the head for that story's artwork either.

I'm just calling 'em as I see 'em....IMO if I'm plunking down X number of $ for a Charlie Flatt (or anyone) Joker and it's being represented as a certain likeness of a particular artist then it better look like it popped right off the comic book page. Is it hard to do? Yes....but it CAN be done. Just look at some of the DC Direct stuff based on a particular artist. A lot closer than Flatt and nowhere near the $ amount. Yeah there's the whole limited run, crafted by hand thing but it still don't see the justification for the big bucks when certain aspects look half-assed.

Just my 2-cents....
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Anarchy
      Career Member
      • May 26, 2009

Originally posted by The Toyroom
      ^ Right BK....if we're goning to say it's a "dead-on" likeness to Neal Adams' Joker, it better look like the aforementioned Batman #251...which it does not.

As for the Emperor Joker look, yes the costuming appears accurate but it does not match the head for that story's artwork either.

I'm just calling 'em as I see 'em....IMO if I'm plunking down X number of $ for a Charlie Flatt (or anyone) Joker and it's being represented as a certain likeness of a particular artist then it better look like it popped right off the comic book page. Is it hard to do? Yes....but it CAN be done. Just look at some of the DC Direct stuff based on a particular artist. A lot closer than Flatt and nowhere near the $ amount. Yeah there's the whole limited run, crafted by hand thing but it still don't see the justification for the big bucks when certain aspects look half-assed.

Just my 2-cents....
      half assed is a rather harsh term. Cant an artist have his own interpretation? I dont like McGuinness artwork, personally i would rather have that head then a head based off of McGuinness. on one thing i agree the price point was and is rediculous, the money that that emperor joker sold for was insane. Hell even the regular joker price was outragious. Especially when the new dc universe joker kicks major **** for $12.99
      Check out my website dedicated to custom as well as classic and modern action figures! My Charlee Flatt Dedicated website

Comment

• BlackKnight
        The DarkSide Customizer
        • Apr 16, 2005

Originally posted by Anarchy
        were they good?
        I thought they were an Awesome "Out there" Story.
        With the Universe Joker Created..., you kinda Got a real feel threw Loeb ,.. just How twisted Joker is ..., and How He see's stuff. I had a lot of fun with it.
        ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• Anarchy
          Career Member
          • May 26, 2009

Originally posted by BlackKnight
          I thought they were an Awesome "Out there" Story.
          With the Universe Joker Created..., you kinda Got a real feel threw Loeb ,.. just How twisted Joker is ..., and How He see's stuff. I had a lot of fun with it.
          i'm gonna have to bust them bad boys out of jail. gotta figure out what box their in
          Check out my website dedicated to custom as well as classic and modern action figures! My Charlee Flatt Dedicated website

Comment

• mishu2nite
            Persistent Member
            • Nov 26, 2001

Charlee stuff is plain crap!! I oughta know, I have 30 something of them, LOL. Seriously, I love most of his figures personally. I think some of them can not be topped like the deadpool, carnage, space ghost and cyclops and all spider-man vaiations. I haven't seen any scale figure as good as any of those. There are some that I don't prefere, to each his own, and many in demand figures aren't always my favorites. I think pics can say a lot. Bad pics can make a good figure look cheap, that is why many say "you have to hold them in your hand" stuff, many pics don't do justice. The joker for example those pics look lousy. I'll try and get a couple of nice shots of the Joker, and a few others this weekend.

Comment

• Anarchy
              Career Member
              • May 26, 2009

I dont think I have any really good shots of joker, those crappy ones i have were from a camera 8 years ago. the only really good one i have is the scanned photo of emperor joker. I can take pics of my regular joker but right now he is on display at franks store!!

Comment

• Anarchy
                Career Member
                • May 26, 2009

actually i think i have a few good ones you sent of the movie joker!

Comment

• Anarchy
                  Career Member
                  • May 26, 2009

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                    Often invisible
                    • Jul 18, 2002

I think his headsculpts are OK, and when I was first learning to sculpt I never thought I could come close to what he did.

Now, however, I can see he often made the eyes too close together and the foreheads too short. Not a criticism, just an observation.
                    Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Anarchy
                      Career Member
                      • May 26, 2009

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
                      I think his headsculpts are OK, and when I was first learning to sculpt I never thought I could come close to what he did.

Now, however, I can see he often made the eyes too close together and the foreheads too short. Not a criticism, just an observation.
                      can we see some of your work because honestly i dont think anyone on here can come close to Charlees sculpts except for a select few.

Comment

• Anarchy
                        Career Member
                        • May 26, 2009

i'm asking because i would really like someone to sculpt me a Malcolm Reynolds head from firefly

Comment

• Meule
                          Verbose Member
                          • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by Anarchy
                          can we see some of your work because honestly i dont think anyone on here can come close to Charlees sculpts except for a select few.
                          I think you're really underestamating that select few. In the many years I've been a member here I have seen people do some pretty kickass sculptsand there are more than you would think. Charlee is far from the only one who can do this
                          "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• huedell
                            Museum Ball Eater
                            • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Meule
                            I think you're really underestamating that select few. In the many years I've been a member here I have seen people do some pretty kickass sculptsand there are more than you would think. Charlee is far from the only one who can do this
                            I have to agree...

....about somewhere in the early 2000s Charlee's "uniqueness"
                            began to disappear like "tear drops in rain" (so to speak),
                            and all the talent 'round these parts began to show....

In the end, Charlee is more of a "pioneer icon"
                            than "the leading superhero figure/doll maker".

And, really, I always thought Charlee's strength was his figure rendering
                            as a WHOLE while his sculpts on their own were pretty hit and miss.
                            "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• mishu2nite
                              Persistent Member
                              • Nov 26, 2001

Ah ha, My old Joker pics, not the best, taaken when digital cameras were first coming out. This joker ia also a unique head, slightly different eyes and slightly different skulpt then most of his. I think the regular ones are better in my opinion than this one, but it is still a vey nice skuplt although hard to tell in that pic.

Comment

• Anarchy
                                Career Member
                                • May 26, 2009

Originally posted by Meule
                                while the work here is nice, theres just something to say about someone who can make a figure as a whole; without boosting a head, shrinking a head, enlarging a head, while im not taking away anything from anyone who does this I stand by that a select few can do what charlee did. with that said, I think james bradys heads are incredible, type3toys sewing is also incredible, and a select few that can make a figure as a whole.

Someone show me a green arrow, a joker a year one bats better then charlees, and IMO it cant be done.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎