X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kennermike
    Permanent Member
    • Nov 4, 2007

Big Jim Pack Mattel Story Circa 78-79?

I thought I would share this story with my fellow members I found this letter in a box at my moms house over the weekend. by 1977 Big Jim's Pack virtually vanished from the US toy shelves I was around 8 years old I was devasted .in my attemps to vent my frustrations I wrote to Mattel Toys .Thinking I would never get an answer from my letter a couple of months passed finally a response came. When I got this letter I was floored that Mattel responded but shattered by the contents of the response
    http://megomuseum.com/mmgallery/files/1/2/4/1/004.JPG
    Last edited by kennermike; Jan 25, '10, 11:21 AM.
  • Brown Bear
    Still Old School
    • Feb 14, 2008

That sucks.

I've always loved the Big Jim line.
    Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Orion
      Museum Night Watchman
      • Mar 11, 2008

Pretty amazing that they responded to your letter though.

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

I had a similiar experience that year, went to Sears and the Big Jim section was gone. A stockboy told me "They don't make Big Jim anymore" I was horrified.

Nice guy though, he found a boxed PACK commander for me on clearance, so I got the last one ever at that Sears.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• haran_banjo_
          • Feb 23, 2009

Italians childs, like me in the past, haven't this kind of bad news, 'cause Big-Jim started in 1972 until 1986.
          I adore the series before the 1979 (open hands issues) and than I was a little older and japan robots captured my attention. The other Big-Jim's series are not the same quality of the pre-'79 series and many childs leaved Big-Jim time by time also 'cause there was many alternatives.
          In my forum you can check all the series producted of Big-Jim and I wrote all the Big-Jim real history but it's in italian language. Now I'm working on the translation in english.
          I'll tell here when it will be ready.
          Can you post here a better scan of the letter you have shown? It's a great document. I think to use it in my forum for to tell about your child history.
          I'm came back to my child time in these last years, collecting all the before '79 Big-Jim's figures.
          Last edited by haran_banjo_; Jan 18, '10, 4:53 PM.

Comment

• pmwasson
            Maker
            • Sep 12, 2007

I had a very similar experience. When Micronauts started disappearing from the store shelves, I wrote to Mego, asking if they had a catalog I could order directly from them. I got a letter back saying the line had been discontinued. I wish I still had the letter to share.
            sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• kennermike
              Permanent Member
              • Nov 4, 2007

Originally posted by haran_banjo_
              Italians childs, like me in the past, haven't this kind of bad news, 'cause Big-Jim started in 1972 until 1986.
              I adore the series before the 1979 (open hands issues) and than I was a little older and japan robots captured my attention. The other Big-Jim's series are not the same quality of the pre-'79 series and many childs leaved Big-Jim time by time also 'cause there was many alternatives.
              In my forum you can check all the series producted of Big-Jim and I wrote all the Big-Jim real history but it's in italian language. Now I'm working on the translation in english.
              I'll tell here when it will be ready.
              Can you post here a better scan of the letter you have shown? It's a great document. I think to use it in my forum for to tell about your child history.
              I'm came back to my child time in these last years, collecting all the before '79 Big-Jim's figures.
              sorry I dont have a scanner I can maybe take another closer digital picture of the letter when I have a moment and then send it to you

Comment

• haran_banjo_
                • Feb 23, 2009

Thanks a lot MattelMike...I'll wait it!!!

Comment

• mitchedwards
                  Mego Preservation Society
                  • May 2, 2003

The link to the letter is broken

Think B.A. Where did you hide the Megos?

Comment

• kennermike
                    Permanent Member
                    • Nov 4, 2007

Originally posted by mitchedwards
                    The link to the letter is broken
                    fixid!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

Wow, that's a heartbreaker, but cool that they wrote back.

I missed out on Big Jim. He was already gone by the time I came into action figures, but I do recall seeing the PACK ads in some comic back issues I found at a pretty early age.

I find it odd that they say the kept stock for some time. My wife and I bought our daughter The Mickey Mouse Clubhouse for Christmas, and it was missing some pieces. We called Mattel and they did not have any of the parts or the playset itself left in stock. Even though it was just a year old. They offered for us to send it back for a voucher good for the list price, but we opted not to, since she likes it as is.
                      sigpic

Comment

• starsky
                        veteran member
                        • Aug 26, 2007

i had big jim pack blue commander but his leg disconnected from his torso. hated that!

Comment

• mitchedwards
                          Mego Preservation Society
                          • May 2, 2003

Originally posted by mattelmike
                          fixid!
                          Thanks,

I think its great someone took the time to write you back.

Think B.A. Where did you hide the Megos?

Comment

• Big Tibo
                            • Oct 25, 2013

I'm sorry but the link is down again. I wish I could read this.
                            http://big-jim-fr.max2forum.com/

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎