Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

^^^ Today's movie making technology doesn't excite me too much. In the wrong hands it looks fake, and is used to make up for a weak premise or talent on the film. The Day the Earths Stood Still is a weak SF movie, compared to others of the era, like the Thing, Invasion of the Body Snatchers or Them!! But it is still better crafted than a lot of today's stuff.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Goblin19
      Talkative Member
      • May 2, 2002

The Day the Earth Stood Still is a classic. If put in the right hands, a remake could be very good, considering today's political climate. Of course, I'd rather see it not done, because I don't think it will be in the right hands. I also don't hate Keanu Reeves, but I do think his voice limits the parts he should play. He should never be in period pieces.

Comment

• ctc
        Fear the monkeybat!
        • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

Even odds Gort is either a superbusy pipework cgi monstrosity, or a superhot Terminator chick.

Either way; I'm scared. Have the "we're all big fans of the original and have decided to stay true to it" press releases started yet?

Don C.

Comment

• Grendel
          Museum Super Collector
          • Apr 21, 2006

Did someone call?

I happened to upload this pic awhile back. FREAKY!!!

Comment

• batmanmc
            mego batman collector
            • Jun 22, 2004

with keanua reeves it will probally do ok. i wont watch it but a lot of people will. mike

Comment

• MegoGeek
              From The Black Lagoon
              • Jun 27, 2001

This is the reason I only go to the movies 2 or 3 times a year.
              ______
              ChArLiE

Comment

• DocDrako
                Formerly Doc Drako
                • Nov 11, 2004

Originally posted by ramsey37
                Why oh why remake a movie that was done right the first time? The original is arguably one of the best science fiction movies of the last century.
                George
                Exactly.

I've got nothing against Keanu, but I'd have chosen someone else. But then, I'm not in the movie business so what do I know? I just know what I like and there are few if any remakes that I like.
                "I prefer to remain an enigma."

DRAKO'S GOOD TRADERS LIST

Comment

• danadoll
                  Micronaut Nut!
                  • Apr 11, 2005

I'm of the mind that...Just as written fiction has been made into plays, films, TV shows, etc...And remade several times over. The same will be true for screen fiction (big or small screens). Nearly everything will be remade at some point (for good or ill, is up to those remaking it)...I don't have a problem with remakes, as long as they are well-made and attempt to keep the spirit of the original. Granted, that doesn't happen very often, unfortunately.

A fellow on another board suggested that Space:1999 should never be remade and that the original series is sacrosact...I basically asked him if he was delusional. If we start believing that every major or minor "classic" fiction (whether it be on the written page or on the screen) is untouchable and should not be remade, then we should also feel the same about Shakespeare, Dickens and any other classic written fiction. It's a bit silly to be so choosy about what can be "remade" and what is "sacrosact"...In the end, all fiction is the same.

As far as today's movie-making tech goes...I'd rather see miniature models, Matte Paintings and green screen work, than badly done CGI any day...Bleh!

Dana
                  Last edited by danadoll; Aug 31, '07, 4:57 AM.
                  "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• The Bat
                    Batman Fanatic
                    • Jul 14, 2002

Good point danadoll! Ya know...I'm glad Peter Jackson remade "King Kong"! I thought Kong really looked alive...like I was watching a real Gorilla. However...I think it could have been about 30 Minute's shorter(take out the Running with Dinosaur's & Giant Bug's Sceen's).
                    sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

^^ Nahh, the Skull Island stuff was the best part of the movie, Kong sort of went flat when the scene shifted back to NY.
                      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Sowth
                        Career Member
                        • Mar 14, 2006

"Be excellent to each other"

Will
                        Toltoys Kid Vintage Australian Toys and Ice Creams

Comment

• joshvox
                          Clown Prince of Crime
                          • Mar 21, 2006

Haven't seen the movie, and I'm not a Robert Wise fan, but this just proves once again that there are no original thoughts occuring in Hollywood. As far as Keanu, again, I haven't seen the original, but casting him as anything but a rock or pole can't be a good idea.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎