Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Hey...let Me say something in Keanu's defense! Keanu got an excellent review, for His Stage Portrayal of "HAMLET"...from the London Times. Now that's no small feat...the Brit's take Thier Shakespear VERY seriously!
    Really. That's kind of a shock. His "dudeness" totally sucked me out of Bram Stoker's Dracula several times. Of course that was 15 or so years ago.

Reeves isn't the worst actor in Hollywood. His range just seems very limited from what I've seen. He's actually quite likeable though. I think that pulls him through a lot of movies.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• The Bat
      Batman Fanatic
      • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
      Really. That's kind of a shock. His "dudeness" totally sucked me out of Bram Stoker's Dracula several times. Of course that was 15 or so years ago.

Reeves isn't the worst actor in Hollywood. His range just seems very limited from what I've seen. He's actually quite likeable though. I think that pulls him through a lot of movies.

Chris

Well...He did have Kenneth Brangh Directing Him. The London Times said..."That He embodied the little Boy lost quality of Hamlet". High praise I'd say.
      sigpic

Comment

• ABMAC
        User
        • May 16, 2002

Yeah, I can see Hamlet as confused, stupid, and clueless. That doesn't mean Reeves can act.

Comment

• The Bat
          Batman Fanatic
          • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by ABMAC
          Yeah, I can see Hamlet as confused, stupid, and clueless.

Hamlet Stupid, and Clueless? You've obviously never read the Play.
          sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

I'm sure it's just me ......
            But I never cared for the original.
            Loved Gort, but thought the movie was slow moving as hell.

If they make a remake---- I wont watch that either

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

In the right hands it could be an amazing allegory for our modern world but this is the same Hollywood who took the all too relevant "corporations own us" subtext out of the remake of Rollerball.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• The Bat
                Batman Fanatic
                • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by palitoy
                In the right hands it could be an amazing allegory for our modern world but this is the same Hollywood who took the all too relevant "corporations own us" subtext out of the remake of Rollerball.

You're right Brian! What will make or break this Movie...is wether or not, They get a good Script Writer & Director.
                sigpic

Comment

• ABMAC
                  User
                  • May 16, 2002

Originally posted by The Bat
                  Hamlet Stupid, and Clueless? You've obviously never read the Play.
                  I've even read it in the original Klingon.

Comment

• The Bat
                    Batman Fanatic
                    • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by ABMAC
                    I've even read it in the original Klingon.

General Chang...Star Trek 6!
                    Last edited by The Bat; Aug 28, '07, 3:33 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

• toys2cool
                      Ultimate Mego Warrior
                      • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by The Bat
                      This might not be a popular thing to say....but I'm a Keanu Reeves Fan...so I'll give it a chance.
                      I'm with you dude,I like Keanu alot and think the movie will do good
                      "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                      My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Hulk
                        Mayor of Megoville
                        • May 10, 2003

The Day the Box Office Stood Still.

And yes, Keanu Reeves IS the WORST actor in Hollywood.

Comment

• mego73
                          Printed paperboard Tiger
                          • Aug 1, 2003

I don't think about Reeves one way or another. I like remakes when they are good.

But I have just about lost faith in Hollywood to produce anything that has socio-political undertones in a way that transcends thier one sided and myopic worldview.

One great thing about the original TDTESS is that it's arguable that Klattu is not exactly a hero.

He is part of an advanced alien race that has studied Earth and knows that they are in a period of high tension.

He lands in the middle of a public place and goes out of his way to be alarming by coming out in a spacesuit that covers his face so you can't even see that he is similar to humans until he activates something that could be a weapon and gets shot at. It always seems to me that Klatuu was trying to inspire a hostile response. Either he was incompetant or making sure he had an excuse to put the hammer down on the people of Earth.

Then he smugly demands that all the world leaders meet with him when he knows darn well (if he has studdied the socio political landscape as he has said he did) that it is about 2% likely to happen.

His final message, far from being a message of peace and wisdom seems more like a threat.

It's almost as if Robert Wise was telling us, we'd better get our socio-political act together or some other more powerful alien society will impose thier own repulsive dictums upon us.

Klattu boasts of his society being non-violent but only because they are under the control of a whole bunch of Gorts. Apparently Klatuu views this as all societies should be.

Finally, when he has the ability to stop all electrical power, that would render us harmless without turning us to a cinder. Klatuu could do so to protect us from the Gorts (and ourselves).

I have a feeling all these nuances will be lost in the new version but will make up for it with CGI
                          Last edited by mego73; Aug 28, '07, 6:03 PM.

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• The Bat
                            Batman Fanatic
                            • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by Hulk
                            And yes, Keanu Reeves IS the WORST actor in Hollywood.

The London Times disagrees with You.

And I'd rather watch "The Matrix"...over "The Day the Earth Stood Still"...any Day of the Week!
                            Last edited by The Bat; Aug 28, '07, 6:30 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

• The Toyroom
                              The Packaging King
                              • Dec 31, 2004

^ I've yet to see any of the Matrix movies but "The Day The Earth Stood Still" is a classic!
                              Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• The Bat
                                Batman Fanatic
                                • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                                ^ I've yet to see any of the Matrix movies but "The Day The Earth Stood Still" is a classic!

I enjoyed "The Day the Earth Stood Still"...when I was a Kid. But when I look at it now...it's dated. I'm spoiled by Today's modern Movie making technology.

As for "The Matrix"...just watch the first one! It's a complete Movie in itself...and didn't need Sequel's.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎