X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Colouring Book Theatre: Raiders of the Lost Ark

Today we have another great segment with our guest reviewer , Jason Lenzi from Bif Bang Pow! who does a far better job than me, so take it away Jason!
    RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK’ Coloring/Activity Book by Happy House, illustrations by Ken Barr, 1981
    Ok, some years back, I had a massive Indiana Jones collection, one of the biggest in the US, I’d venture to say. I had games, toys, lobby cards and one sheets from all over the world. And then, one day, I decided to sell it all, including the entire Kenner range of toys. ‘Why’ is a story for another day, but two of the few items I hung onto were coloring and activity books for ‘Raiders’.
    They’re pretty odd items you don’t see often, and easy enough to store, so I still got ‘em. What’s most interesting about them, to me, is the slightly adult and suspect nature to some of the pages. Looking back, ‘Raiders of the Lost Ark’ is a pretty dark and adult flick, that doesn’t necessarily lend itself to coloring books. (editor's note: kind of like Dune?) Let me explain

Not a bad opening shot of our hero, and decent artwork. The first thing I think of looking at this again is how many drab crayon colors you’d need to use to make this accurate.

Are those native butt cheeks peeking through? Why I do believe they are. That may be a first in a coloring book. For kids, anyway.

How good is THIS depiction of Harrison Ford? It never gets this good again in the book, but I’d say this is one of the best renderings of him in any collectible. Well done, Ken Barr!

4. What would a coloring book be without a little torture scene? Boring, that’s what! “Pass the orange, Joey, I wanna make this poker HOT!”

Now, I’m no authority, but I’d bet that Hitler’s never made an appearance in a coloring book. Well, the ‘Raiders’ monkey is as close as you’re gonna get then. What I especially love is that Barr took it further than the infamous scene in the film, and had our monkey friend do the Hitler ‘tache as well. That trick deserves a fresh date.

Slightly inappropriate scene in a kid’s coloring book #4: Indy getting hammered. Again, I don’t own every coloring book ever made, but whiskey drinking pages must be a rarity, right?

And now the money shot. Every Indiana Jones fan knows there was originally a 3 or 4 page scripted fight scene between Indy and the Cairo Swordsman that Harrison Ford opted out of because of dysentery. He subsequently came up with the genius idea (Spielberg says he had the same idea as well) of just shooting the guy and getting on with his business. There ARE some few seconds of raw footage of the scene on the ‘net, but this page gives another tasty little glimpse of what might have been.

Many thanks to Jason for doing these excellent guest reviews.

Previously reviewed Colouring Books
    If you have a colouring book you'd like to guest review, I'd like to hear from you!

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Meule
    Verbose Member
    • Nov 14, 2004

Great review. That colouring book looks cool, even with the somewhat odd choices for the art
    "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

I had that and when my son was in his Indiana Jones phase I photocopiued all the pages I could so that he could color them over and over again....sadlt many of the pages had been colored in already and would not copy well

great review of the book!

Comment

• toys2cool
        Ultimate Mego Warrior
        • Nov 27, 2006

great coloring book
        "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
        My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• ScottA
          Original Member
          • Jun 25, 2001

That opening shot belongs on the back of a Mego box.
          sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• Captain
            Fighting the good fight!
            • Jun 17, 2001

Definitely a step above the usual mindless coloring book art. I like it.

I just had a foggy recollection of an old coloring book from childhood.... do you have the Batman one where he's in a boat race with some frog people...I think?
            "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

That's wicked cool. I had no idea they made a Raiders coloring book. No face melting page to color?
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• TrueDave
                Toy Maker
                • Jan 12, 2008

Originally posted by Captain
                Definitely a step above the usual mindless coloring book art. I like it.

I just had a foggy recollection of an old coloring book from childhood.... do you have the Batman one where he's in a boat race with some frog people...I think?

I've got that one, it introduces the Batboat and had the Gyrobat flying chair !

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

That is a nice looking coloring book. But you're right, those are some odd choices.

Is the monkey mocking Hitler's 'stache, or smelling his finger?

And that Batman coloring book is my all-time favorite. Great cover painting of Batman getting ready to leap off the Batboat with Robin steering. That same image was used on a foam mat I had as a kid. I do believe it does include the Whirly-Bat as well.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• Meule
                    Verbose Member
                    • Nov 14, 2004

This thread made me want to rewatch the Indy movies. Watched Temple of Doom yesterday, watching Raiders right now
                    "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• TrueDave
                      Toy Maker
                      • Jan 12, 2008

Speilburg once said in an interview the Heil Hitler monkey scene was his favorite.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎