Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will we ever see Mego Super hero re-issues?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AAAAA
    Permanent Member
    • Oct 28, 2005

Ew !! do tell... Seriously was there talk that they almost licensed to Mantis to do Dc Figures? I had never heard this but please share the story I really am curious.

I kinda think C.A is a bad example of judging the sale of the 8" figures because all that I have read says that the original Ideal figures were unpopular and sold not so well ( my dad would argue vehemently) and that their failure really lead to the success of the 8" toys.[/QUOTE]

what i understand it was going to be a 2 figure set ,batman and villian, and superman and Villian
    sold threw the WB stores.
    which villians I do not know.
    and anyBody who can pull off a reintroduction it would be diamond comics.They Could "coax" DC in to doing it.
    because they control the shipping network of getting comic/toy products to retailers.
    there a lot of reasons why CA failed , Being sued twice by hasbro did not help.
    The outfits were welldone but pricey.The regrind plastics for the accessories(becuse they hold the paint on better)ment many returns.
    the lack of a villian at the onset was big mistake,but IDEAL resources was streached to the limit and could not do a villian at first.
    remenber Ideal was 9 largest toy company at the time.
    Capatain action face was plain ugly.
    Last edited by AAAAA; Sep 1, '07, 7:14 PM.

Comment

• jds1911a1
      Alan Scott is the best GL
      • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by toysrus
      Do you think the same goes for the POTA Megos? Or do those have a chance at re-issue?
      it depends if the recent movie license covers the classic series or not. if it doesn't then the chances are much higher but if it does unlikely as the producer has to cover the license fee for the stuff they make.

remember that Captain action was a 60's toy (contemporary w original GIJOE) the 8' size became prevalent due to the oil shortage in the early 70's (even joe scales down to superjoe) as smaller toys need less oil to make plastic. as the 70's drew to a close oil was back and some 12' toys returned (kenner and mego both has successful 12" size figures) but even the 8" megos could not stand up to the 3 inch jugernaut of star wars so by the late 70's mego was reformatting away from 8" to 3 inch too. and 3 inc ruled toys for most of the 80's
      Captain action was the same business model as gijoe,a base figure then sell clothes out the wazoo. Mego used this model with some sucess during AJ but realized if the only way to replace lost items was a new figure they could streamline the production line and get more bucks from us. every time we needed a new phaser for startrek to belt for batman we had to get another one. LJN used the same model as AJ for swat and emergency so they had to tie up more floor space/peg space with gear sets. we only had to buy new LJn figures when we broke them as even the boots were in gear sets. Great for kids but mego's way was smarter business.
      Last edited by jds1911a1; Sep 7, '07, 9:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• The Bat
        Batman Fanatic
        • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by Type3Toys
        Actually, we do! Best case, if it happened, would be Dr Mego bodies with better suits AND heads. Although most mego collectors already have the figures you mentioned, those "A List" characters would draw in new people(and kids), as well as open the door for characters mego never made.
        Since the "A List" guys would bring in the bucks, new figures might follow.

I concur!!
        sigpic

Comment

• huedell
          Museum Ball Eater
          • Dec 31, 2003

LEX LUTHOR, DR. DOOM, DR. OCTOPUS, FLASH, GREEN LANTERN, SILVER SURFER,
          SPIDER WOMAN, RED SKULL, WOLVERINE, MAGNETO, STORM, DAREDEVIL, ELEKTRA,
          MARTIAN MANHUNTER, SCARECROW, R'AS AL GUHL, PLASTIC MAN, ATOM, HAWKMAN,
          HAWKGIRL, SANDMAN, PUNISHER, MANDARIN

the list goes on and on for "still popular today" characters from the DC and Marvel
          companies that would make great MEGO replica styled (i.e. BRONZE AGE era costumed)
          line additions

with the right things falling into place, I believe some of this might eventually happen--
          as once the speed bump of investing in the startup occurs, the rest should fall into place
          due to popularity of the characters and nostalgia combined. I mean, if Trek can
          do it---so should DC and Marvel be able to---and possibly with even more success
          "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎