Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hulk
    Mayor of Megoville
    • May 10, 2003

People have been swapping parts and clothes since the first Action Jackson rolled off the line. Reproduction figures and parts just extended the trend. Some people will keep them as is. Some will open them and some will change them. That is part of the charm of Mego. The fact these are in scale and can even be modified is what we should be most grateful for.

Comment

• trekman101
      Persistent Member
      • Feb 6, 2009

The only big problem with the Mattel GA, is the bowed legs....I like the beefy shape of the legs...the problem is the pelvis and crotch are to narrow,which could probably be corrected with some sort of resin bushing for the leg sockets....Mattel is fixing this as we speak,so the new Mattel bodies should be perfect...if they decide to add swivel biceps... than that will be GRAVY!If I were Mattel I would thin down the boot material for a sleeker look and use a coarser nit for the costume fabric(to stop the snagging problem) for future figures.....that's it in my opinion..any thing else is just some ones personal preferences...THAT'S WHY YOU CUSTOMIZE!
      Remember Mego is gone and probably will never be back so Mattel is our best shot......lets support them
      "Thats the ticket laddie"

Comment

• The Bat
        Batman Fanatic
        • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by drmego
        Ultimately the decision is up to the management of Mattel based on the
        input of their designers and outside consultants like EMCE, but I just wanted
        to say that a lot of effort went into this project and I hope you can balance
        your views with respect for that effort.

Oh, we do respect their efforts to bring back the Mego Style. All our criticisms might make us seem ungrateful....but we're really not. Just the fact the Heads & Costumes are a perfect fit for Original Mego(or Doc Mego)Bodies...are enough to make me happy beyond belief!!

But we can't help but analyze to death...what went right, and what went wrong. You said yourself Paul..."that Mattel knows there's a problem with Legs...and that they plan to fix them by Wave 2".
        Last edited by The Bat; Jan 17, '10, 5:00 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

• saildog
          Permanent Member
          • Apr 9, 2006

Originally posted by Hulk
          People have been swapping parts and clothes since the first Action Jackson rolled off the line. Reproduction figures and parts just extended the trend. Some people will keep them as is. Some will open them and some will change them. That is part of the charm of Mego. The fact these are in scale and can even be modified is what we should be most grateful for. (emphasis mine)
          No matter where you stand on the issue, I think it all boils down to that.

Like most of you, I have been following this since the announcement was made at ComicCon. My opinion on the looks of this figure has kind of gone back and forth.

Once folks started getting theirs (the ones that arrived in a day or two) and I saw the pics, I still didn't know how I felt about it.

I love all of the customizations I have seen. I completely understand why these changes were made and I like all of the results.

As for me, I really was planning on doing something along the same lines and I was excited that the possibility existed to do that (that first post about the head swap was a relief). However, once mine arrived and I had a few days to look at it, I have decided that I love it the way it is. I seriously like everything about the figure (even the boots), but I did swap out the bow.

Comment

• SUP-Ronin
            Stuck in a laundry shoot.
            • Oct 8, 2007

As a customizer, it's fun to take a figure, break it down and assess it's strengths and weaknesses, criticise it and figure out how to improve on it's design. I do it to my own figures all the time, and I can alway find something I'd like to improve. It isn't about just complaining, or crying that it isn't good enough.

It's that need some people have to take apart a perfectly good object, just to see how it works, it's fun.
            "Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."

Comment

• The Bat
              Batman Fanatic
              • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by MegoRonin
              As a customizer, it's fun to take a figure, break it down and assess it's strengths and weaknesses, criticise it and figure out how to improve on it's design. I do it to my own figures all the time, and I can alway find something I'd like to improve. It isn't about just complaining, or crying that it isn't good enough.

It's that need some people have to take apart a perfectly good object, just to see how it works, it's fun.

Well said!!
              sigpic

Comment

• Meule
                Verbose Member
                • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by kryptosmaster
                Basically 99% of the gripes came about because when these were announced they were misleadingly described to be the second coming of Mego and when all the details were finally revealed and they ended up being very, very, very far off from a real Mego, a lot of people felt let down.
                Had the people involved been forthright in the project and not made them out to be something they aren't, nobody would have been angry at all.
                Rich
                I admit that was the case for me. Once I accepted these aren't new Megos, but Megolike figures everything was pretty much cool with me, except the legs, but those should be fixed by wave 2
                "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• The Bat
                  Batman Fanatic
                  • Jul 14, 2002

In the case of Green Arrow, he needed the swivel Bicep...but in future release's, I may only replace the Legs(at least in Wave 1). Hopefully, Matty will fix the Legs in Wave 2...and I won't have to do anything at all to the Figures.
                  sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

^ My feelings exactly.

And at the price compared to a scratch-built custom, one can also use the Mattel figures to produce very nice Megoesque figures.

MegoRonin is right in pointing out the fun of tinkering--after all, even Emce figures (cool as they are) are not perfect, particularly regarding poseability.

And let's not discuss CTVT, which are pretty Megoey but pretty shoddy...

Regardless, I respect Doc's efforts & products--I've bought most of 'em & am anxious to hear of upcoming releases!
                    Last edited by PNGwynne; Jan 17, '10, 7:22 PM.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• saildog
                      Permanent Member
                      • Apr 9, 2006

Had the people involved been forthright in the project and not made them out to be something they aren't, nobody would have been angry at all.
                      Rich
                      Rich, you are a nice guy and I like you, but you have made it clear all along that you don't like this move. "Had the people involved been forthright" is a heck of an accusation.

You are entitled to an opinion, but coupled with all of your comments along the trail, complete with the lemmings analogy...and your signature...you have really marginalized yourself in the whole debate. Opinion is fine...agenda is something else.

Until you adopt some different tactics, you really have nothing to contribute to the debate.

Comment

• BlackKnight
                        The DarkSide Customizer
                        • Apr 16, 2005

Originally posted by drmego
                        Mattel could have taken the easy out and done what other companies
                        have done - make a super-articulated - 1,001 poses - action figure that
                        had little in common with a vintage MEGO. But they shrove to balance their
                        own company style with the charm of a mego.

Ultimately the decision is up to the management of Mattel based on the
                        input of their designers and outside consultants like EMCE,

Based on the 4,000 "fixing threads" ..., Thus Propeling The Mattel Green Arrow into already the Most Customized Re-Mego That I have personally ever scene ..., I'd say there was a serious large part of the Targeted Audience that would Have liked something Like a Flatt Bela Body under that suit...., or the Castaway Body,.. that everyone is seemingly converting to,.. because of the Swivel arms,.. that allows the character to Hold His Bow,.. with 2 Hands.
                        ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• saildog
                          Permanent Member
                          • Apr 9, 2006

Originally posted by BlackKnight
                          Based on the 4,000 "fixing threads" ..., Thus Propeling The Mattel Green Arrow into already the Most Customized Re-Mego That I have personally ever scene ...,
                          Really, 4000?

Drop in the bucket compared to actual Megos that have been customized. In fact,....well, you know where I am going with this.

I know there are problems with the Mattel version, but do we really have to lose all perspective????

Just be fair and realize the story ain't over. The process is evolving and to go overboard at this point does not help the hobby.

I still haven't seen the number of *****es about Mattel's body approach those of the CTVT body.

Comment

• BlackKnight
                            The DarkSide Customizer
                            • Apr 16, 2005

Originally posted by saildog
                            Really, 4000?
                            I was jesting..., with some higher #'s then reality, the point being, I seriously ..., Have never scene this many customizing threads on a Re-Mego figure before. If he woulda had the Swivel arms, half them threads wouldn't have been there ...
                            .. And nore was I *****ing ...., I woulda Left Mine alone.
                            Last edited by BlackKnight; Jan 17, '10, 9:27 PM.
                            ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• saildog
                              Permanent Member
                              • Apr 9, 2006

Thanks and I have no problem with you either but
                              I truly believe the lack of information on the figures compounded with the hoopla and WGSH tag (later conveniently abandoned) was 100% intentional to get hype on this line and get all the Mego collectors worked up. I know. I was one of them! Then when all the facts came out, anyone with a dissenting opinion was made to feel like they were "ruining it for everyone" (how dare you complain) and have to accept these as a "Well, they're better than nothing" product.

But if my opinion is bothering you I'll say no more on the matter.

FYI: If it matters, I do have plans to purchase some of these figures assuming the prices aren't outrageous but I still stand by my assertion that there was never any intention to make these like Megos (such as ctvt and emce stuff) and that's what my whole beef is.
                              Rich

<<<< I feel like that's what I'm doing commenting on this anyway.
                              Rich, I have no problem with your opinion, but you seem to have a view that dissenting opinions are being suppressed and the fact is, it is the people that like the figure that are in the minority.

No one is being shouted down. It is a debate...just shuck your view that there is a conspiracy to keep the haters down. We are all friends here.

Just state an honest opinion....that's all.

Comment

• saildog
                                Permanent Member
                                • Apr 9, 2006

Originally posted by BlackKnight
                                I was jesting..., with some higher #'s then reality, the point being, I seriously ..., Have never scene this many customizing threads on a Re-Mego figure before. If he woulda had the Swivel arms, half them threads wouldn't have been there ...
                                .. And nore was I *****ing ...., I woulda Left Mine alone.
                                I'm sorry if I took it wrong, BK. I was reacting more to other threads and posts than yours in particular. My fault.

This post is directed to the total haters and those who keep getting their jabs in....the Mattel let us all down crowd. Those who give the backhanded compliments to the effort.

I know the figure could have been better, but I really don't see it as a total disaster, either. In fact, it is far from it.

I know it is not Mego, but Mego never made Sinestro, Luthor, or Green Lantern. Sanctioned. With blessings. NO C and Ds.
                                We now have these guaranteed and who knows what else with Wave 2. These are available with the full blessing of the powers that be. When has that ever been since the days of Mego? Oh, yeah....Famous Covers?????

And, now that they are out, and in the hands of people who have ventured to try a customization with Green Arrow....we know they can be adapted to make it something we all wanted to begin with. IN MEGO SCALE!!!!!

You'd think from the more vocal threads that Mattel kicked us all in the balls and spit on our mothers, but I can't help but see this as the best thing in years and the amount of *****ing and total loss of perspective compared to the celebration only reminds me that I am dealing with the most technical of all people....NERDS.

I'm not saying any of this is perfect, but really, is it totally bereft of praise???

Twenty Dollars is too much??? Try piecing together a total repro. I know what that costs and 20 bucks does not even approach the total cost.

Mego repro body.....$7.00
                                Repro Body Suit... $8.00
                                Hero Boots... $5.00
                                Bow...$5.00
                                Backpack...$5.00
                                Head....$10
                                Replacement hands...$5.00

Plus shipping...and I've been glad to pay that and all other costs, all along.

Perspective....that's all I ask.
                                Last edited by saildog; Jan 17, '10, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎