Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rcbats1
    Banned
    • Nov 1, 2005

I like the way The Mattels look just fine. To me if you customize the figure or change it from its original look...then its a customized or repro'd figure and not original. I hope they stay true with the rest as they have with Green Arrow. Long live Mattels Retro Action DC Super Heroes the way they are!

M.

Comment

• The Bat
      Batman Fanatic
      • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by rcbats1
      To me if you customize the figure or change it from its original look...then its a customized or repro'd figure and not original.

M.

But that's just it...it's not an "original" Mego. So we can customize to our Hearts content, and not feel guilty about destroying an original.

As far as I'm concerned...it might as well be a "Repro". But hey...I'm HAPPY as hell for the Rotocast Head, China made accessories!
      sigpic

Comment

• HardyGirl
        Mego Museum's Poster Girl
        • Apr 3, 2007

You know, I've been wondering the same thing myself. I mean, people were clamoring for a new "Mego" (for all intents and purposes, that's what I'll call it), and yet, there have been complaints from the get go. The card's not right, the body is wrong, the uniform has issues, the bow's messed up. So far the only thing people haven't complained about is the hat. We are fortunate to have access to a myriad of customizers and materials for customizing. Instead of complaining about what's wrong, why not just make your own? Or get a Mego GA from Ebay? I think as adult collectors and customizers. we've become spoiled. Because you guys know if you had gotten this figure as a kid, these issues wouldn't mean squat to you.

Just my opinion. (and please don't jump all over me 'cos I don't have one. GA is not my bag).
        "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
        'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
        Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
        If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• rcbats1
          Banned
          • Nov 1, 2005

I never said it was an original Mego and I'm pretty sure they are original Mattels. As you said...you can customize to your hearts content but they still wont be original.

M.

Originally posted by The Bat
          But that's just it...it's not an "original" Mego. So we can customize to our Hearts content, and not feel guilty about destroying an original.

As far as I'm concerned...it might as well be a "Repro". But hey...I'm HAPPY as hell for the Rotocast Head, China made accessories!

Comment

• The Bat
            Batman Fanatic
            • Jul 14, 2002

I never said it was an original Mego and I'm pretty sure they are original Mattels. As you said...you can customize to your hearts content but they still wont be original.

M.

And I never said, that you said that they were original Megos. As for it being an original Mattel.......who cares! All I know it is I'm happy to have these COOL Parts for only $20.00!!
            sigpic

Comment

• TrueDave
              Toy Maker
              • Jan 12, 2008

My collector friends chew me out for "ruining" my toys. Customizing a bit here and there.

Of course ALL thier toys are still sealed in the packages. Going INSANE like the prospector in Toy Story Two.

WHen my buddy and I got our Vincent Price Dolls in the mail he wouldnt open his . I opened mine right there. He wanted to play with it and I wanted to say NO WAY!

But then I remebered I'm all growed up now and adult people share thier dollies.

Comment

• The Bat
                Batman Fanatic
                • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by TrueDave
                My collector friends chew me out for "ruining" my toys. Customizing a bit here and there.

Of course ALL thier toys are still sealed in the packages. Going INSANE like the prospector in Toy Story Two.

WHen my buddy and I got our Vincent Price Dolls in the mail he wouldnt open his . I opened mine right there. He wanted to play with it and I wanted to say NO WAY!

But then I remebered I'm all growed up now and adult people share thier dollies.

sigpic

Comment

• Orion
                  Museum Night Watchman
                  • Mar 11, 2008

Pretty clear opinions are going to run the gamut on this issue. For me, I have an all original Mego GA - so wouldn't want a customized GA in my collection. Others clearly like to be creative and alter figures to refine them as they believe the figures should be produced. That's what they enjoy and no one is going to tell you what to do with your toys. For me - I like to see the story develop with respect to toys. In other words - Type 0 to T1 to T2, etc. Cool to see the Mego history develop. What differences will there be in the Mattel line - should it be successful - a few years down the line. I want to be able to compare the GA to the later figures in the future.

Comment

• Meule
                    Verbose Member
                    • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by The Bat
                    And I never said, that you said that they were original Megos. As for it being an original Mattel.......who cares!
                    Exactly, these are brand new toys, it's not like they're gonna rise in value. Open 'em up and do whatever you want to that body
                    "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Meule
                      Verbose Member
                      • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by enyawd72
                      Don't you mean in your OPINION, it's a poorly designed body? I happen to think it's just fine.
                      It seems to have better movement, especially in the shoulders.
                      I can't even raise my EMCE Captain Kirk's arms.
                      The figures from wave 2 will have altered bodies from the ones in wave 1. What does that tell you? That even Mattel isn't happy with them because they know the current bodies have issues. Have you taken a REAL good look at those legs?
                      "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• The Bat
                        Batman Fanatic
                        • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by Meule
                        The figures from wave 2 will have altered bodies from the ones in wave 1. What does that tell you? That even Mattel isn't happy with them because they know the current bodies have issues. Have you taken a REAL good look at those legs?

And it would be such an easy "Fix" too...case in point:
                        sigpic

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                          Invincible Ironing Man
                          • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by Meule
                          Open 'em up and do whatever you want to that body
                          If it's legal, of course...
                          "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                            Invincible Ironing Man
                            • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by HardyGirl
                            So far the only thing people haven't complained about is the hat.
                            I hate to bring this up, but that hat.....
                            "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                              Invincible Ironing Man
                              • Feb 28, 2008

I guess the best for me would be to have an original Mego GA, and the Mattel one.
                              That way, I won't have to turn the new one into the old one.

Man, these are confusing times....

Comment

• huedell
                                Museum Ball Eater
                                • Dec 31, 2003

I like the way The Mattels look just fine. To me if you customize the figure or change it from its original look...then its a customized or repro'd figure and not original. I hope they stay true with the rest as they have with Green Arrow. Long live Mattels Retro Action DC Super Heroes the way they are!

M.
                                Another way for me to explain my stance in the context of ^^^
                                the above post...

By that logic, it sounds like you have a bigger appreciation for
                                TOY COMPANIES than BRONZE AGE DC CHARACTERS.

Hey, whatever floats your boat, still...

The only toy company designs that I like are either Mego replica body
                                vibed companies like EMCE whose body is very simillar to vintage Megos
                                so that a newly bought toy can look fine sitting with my
                                old Megos----a good blend to the naked eye, and to an eye that
                                doesn't see the FIGURE naked...

OR ...

I also like a modern take on 8 inch bodies that have impressive
                                enough articulation and body shape to leave them alone
                                when desiring to display a classic DCU character

Mattel is not a Mego replica (so that's out the window),
                                nor do I like the body perfectly (so, again, that's out the window)----
                                and, I'd have to change it.
                                "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎