X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

"Fixing" the Mattel GA vs. leaving it alone

There's been quite a few complaints on here regarding the Mattel body, the boots, the card and some other issues regarding GA.

I'm not a customizer, so I have to ask, why do some feel what Mattel did was "wrong" so to speak? They obviously designed it intentionally to be what it is. It seems to me as if the figure is being criticized for not being a straight up Mego reproduction, but it was never intended to be. By making all these changes, swapping bodies, boots, etc. you no longer have a Mattel figure. I'm just curious as to why someone would go to so much trouble to make the figure something it wasn't meant to be. I generally don't like customs in my own collection, because to me they're not "legitimate" I guess. I like my toys original, flaws and all.

There already exists a Mego Green Arrow...this is a Mattel Green Arrow, and it's SUPPOSED to be different. I'm not saying that customizers are wrong for making all these changes, I'm just trying to understand why they do it.
  • The Bat
    Batman Fanatic
    • Jul 14, 2002

It's not being criticized for not being a straight up Mego reproduction....it's being criticized because it's simply a poorly designed Body. Most of feel that a BIG Toy Company like Mattel...could have done so much better.

I mean really...how hard would it have been to make a better Body? There's plenty of examples out there.
    sigpic

Comment

• Orion
      Museum Night Watchman
      • Mar 11, 2008

Interesting thread. I'm leaving mine alone and one was given away as a b-day present - it made a 9 year old's day!! I'm not a customizer so wouldn't attempt some of the great alterations that have been performed. That being said - I also like my toys original. I find that the flaws add charm and/or character.

Comment

• jimsmegos
        Mego Dork
        • Nov 9, 2008

Still I see enyawd72's point. Accept the new for what it is and move on. I didn't but one because it really didn't grab me ( I do like the boxing glove arrow though and would replace the original GA's with it if I had one).

But in fairness to The Bat's point, let's not forget the DC Heroes line... those to me were a much bigger let down.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
          Invincible Ironing Man
          • Feb 28, 2008

Look at it this way.

Fans love the old Galactica.
          When the new showed up, they wanted more of the same.
          Then Starbuck turned out to be a girl.
          Now, even though most of us prefer a pretty girl to a cigar-chomping womanizer, we still want the old Starbuck, because that's what, in our minds, is connected to the core of the label "Galactica".
          We may love the new BSG (like the Mattel GA), it may be slicker and cooler, but the thing we hunt for on Ebay is a Dirk Benedict figure. BSG number Six may be hot, and not a guy in a clunky tin-plated costume, but it's that old robot that is standing on my shelf right now, not superbabe.

That is why I still pray for more EMCE, because they give us exactly what we want.

Mattel brings a cool follow-up, but too me, it's still not Mego. EMCE, that's so close that I fully embrace it.
          Face it, most of us old coots here just want clunky old Mego. We can always get the sleeker models from other Superhero lines.
          If Mattel profiles the whole new line as Mego II, they could bring it closer to Mego I.

And that is why we customize, I guess....
          Last edited by Gorn Captain; Jan 16, '10, 11:30 AM.
          "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• enyawd72
            Maker of Monsters!
            • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by The Bat
            It's not being criticized for not being a straight up Mego reproduction....it's being criticized because it's simply a poorly designed Body. Most of feel that a BIG Toy Company like Mattel...could have done so much better.

I mean really...how hard would it have been to make a better Body? There's plenty of examples out there.
            Don't you mean in your OPINION, it's a poorly designed body? I happen to think it's just fine.
            It seems to have better movement, especially in the shoulders.
            I can't even raise my EMCE Captain Kirk's arms.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
              Invincible Ironing Man
              • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by enyawd72
              Don't you mean in your OPINION, it's a poorly designed body? I happen to think it's just fine.
              It seems to have better movement, especially in the shoulders.
              I can't even raise my EMCE Captain Kirk's arms.
              I completely get your point. It is probably better than EMCE.
              But as I said, a lot of us love old style, even though it might have limitations.
              I myself still prefer a rubber monster costume to CGI.
              I know, thinking rationally, that CGI is smoother, but I can't help it...

Very often, there is no answer to the question "what is better?"
              It totally depends on the individual.
              "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• ctc
                Fear the monkeybat!
                • Aug 16, 2001

>It totally depends on the individual.

That's pretty much it. Some folks have different expectations, and some want different things from their figures. I monkey with original figures all the time, since I want something playable and the best possible representation of any given character. (At least by MY perceptions. And since it's my figure I'll do what I want with it. Nyah!)

I didn't order one of these since I've already got a Mego green Arrow; but if I did I'd DEFINITELY redo the bow. Not 'cos I don't like this one (hee hee.... glove arrow) but 'cos I want one that works. But that's me. (And that glove would DEFINITELY be going on anew arrow....)

Don C.

Comment

• TrueDave
                  Toy Maker
                  • Jan 12, 2008

sometimes I think it is best to just accept a toy flaws and all. My Silver Age 9" superman for instance. I am toying with the ide of having a neck tilt put in ( for flying) but real love comes from total acceptance. And maybe just maybe thats a little lesson we can learn here.

I'll know what i think about Lex Luthor when I buty one. But since I plan on putting him with the Star Trek guys and Im obsessive about not mixing lines on some collections I may put him on a DOc Mego body.

I already know I dont like the purple hands.

I still want swivel arm battle grip !!!!

well see in April.

I see your point completely. Once you start changing its hard to stop, then you end up missing the original , then you buty another then youre riding your bicycle to work and living off Ramen noodles because you have no money !

Comment

• The Bat
                    Batman Fanatic
                    • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by enyawd72
                    I happen to think it's just fine.

Well, that's your opinion.
                    Last edited by The Bat; Jan 16, '10, 2:25 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

• mikeoz
                      Mego Maker
                      • Mar 9, 2007

I think it may depend on the type of person you are. I remember modifying Star Wars figures/vehicles when I was a kid. I redid the robe on Ben Kenobi, I added my own handmade stickers to the inside of the Millennium Falcon, I made custom lightsabres and probably a whole lot more that I don't remember. Most of my friends made no alterations to their figures. Maybe that is the reason that I enjoy customizing so much today. I don't think I can help anyone else understand why I modify or customize my figures when I'm not sure why I do it myself.
                      Looking for:
                      Lincoln Phantom of the Opera

Comment

• kennermike
                        Permanent Member
                        • Nov 4, 2007

Im leaving it alone! I love what Mattel did but thats why im MattelMike. no other Major toy company has taken a gamble like this.and as for me who is someone that only buys vintage toys.it was a biggie for me to get me to spend my cash on a new product. I dont know if im going to buy the rest in series but they do look cool!
                        Last edited by kennermike; Jan 16, '10, 1:57 PM.

Comment

• BlackKnight
                          The DarkSide Customizer
                          • Apr 16, 2005

Customizers/Kitbashers/Tweekers were all born When New Mego's Died.
                          .. There's a Ton of Us out there that have been doing it for yrs ...,
                          So even with this New Figure,.. with all the stuff avalible, it only seems like a Natural Choice for Some ..., Where Other's who have never Customized anything, think it's fine the way it is.

I Don't think I would personally dump that much coin into altering him ..., He for me, would just stay they way he was..., I do think it's neat to see what everyone is doing.
                          ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                            Moderation Engineer
                            • Aug 14, 2003

It's a great question, and if there's ever an answer I'd like to be cured. It's the same reason people trade their hubcaps for custom wheels, bedazzle their purses, or paint murals on their clothes. Some people easily accept things as they are, others are wired to look for potential improvements.

In this case, even Mattel doesn't think the figure is just fine, evidenced by body tweaks promised for wave 2:-)

Comment

• huedell
                              Museum Ball Eater
                              • Dec 31, 2003

If it was an EMCE body...at least it'd be an attempt at a Mego replica like type item, so that even if there were complaints about it, at least
                              it would give people satisfaction in it's ability to re-create a Mego vibe---

BUT it is NOT an EMCE body...

It's, instead, a 2010 Mattel body that "ain't that great"...

and many like myself are enjoying the heck out of the "fixes"
                              on the Mattel body because
                              if you're not going to have a Mego replica, at least now you have a figure
                              that poses cooler than the Mattel body and looks cooler than the Mattel body.

Thank goodness the Mattel suit and Mattel head are so cool
                              or we'd be right back wishing there was cool 8 inch Mego era
                              DCU stuff out there.
                              "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎