X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
    Yvonne Craig said she pulled out Shatner's hairpiece during the filming of "Whom Gods Destroy", I think she described it as being somewhat small.
    Yep, his hair loss was never as pronounced as many have wanted or claimed it to be. Plus, like I mentioned earlier, he got hair plugs a long time ago and now has a full head of hair.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• MysteryWho
      Persistent Member
      • Dec 16, 2008

Shatner probably has a few stray tufts of hair on his noggin', but he's been going bald since the Sixties. During the original series of Star Trek he has a receding hairline with a bit of a Friar Tuck in the back. A couple of my friends went bald this way in their late twenties/early thirties. In Turnabout Intruder, when he's kinda spinning around, the thing almost flies off his head. By the early seventies he is wearing one terrible rug after another, presumably 'cause he couldn't afford to get something better or it just wasn't available at the time (i.e. transplants) I think the people who made the first Star Trek movie probably advanced him and said "Get yourself a new wig, my friend".
      At the time Shatner went bald, it actually might have harmed his career. Aside from a few defiantly bald guys like Brynner and Savalas, a full head of hair was a must have to be a leading man. Especially in the seventies when hair was big, literally as well as figuratively. I can't blame him for wanting to cover it up. People still do it now, look at Nicholas Cage or Travolta. I don't know if it was entirely a personal hang-up or a job thing or both. But the man's bald.
      The Shatner/hair thing that's always perplexed me much more is the chest shaving. His chest just looks creepy on the old show sometimes, bald and covered in make-up. What was that about?

Comment

• JediJaida
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 14, 2008

Maybe they didn't want him and Leonard Nimoy competing as to who had the most chest hair! LOL!

It could have been worst, he could have gone shirtless with a serious case of body hair, and REALLY grossed out people on the set and those watching.
        JediJaida

Comment

• mego73
          Printed paperboard Tiger
          • Aug 1, 2003

And it's nothing unusual as well. Jack Klugman wore a piece for Odd Couple (but he didn't wear it for interviews and awards). I bet Tony Randell had one too. Richard Anderson wore one for Oscar Goldman (I saw him in a Cannon made before 6mill dollar man recently where he didn't wear a piece). Martin Landau wore one in Space 1999 (I don't know about Mission Impossible) but didn't wear one in 1979's "Meteor".

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• AUSSIE-Rebooted-AMM
            I was NEVER here!
            • Jun 22, 2008

I don't really care about world peace or saving the whales. . . .just so long as we can get to the root of these really important Issues, Like Will Shatners Toupee! J/K.

Comment

• MysteryWho
              Persistent Member
              • Dec 16, 2008

We don't need to to save the whales! If we run out later and need some, Shatner will just go back in time and get us some!

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

Plugs are only effective when you still has some hair on top.

If you are completely bald...plugs are not an option....toupees are.
                sigpic

Comment

• JPkempo
                  Permanent Member
                  • Jun 17, 2001

Those first photos seem to have Harry Mudds hair on Kirk.

Comment

• Meule
                    Verbose Member
                    • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by JPkempo
                    Those first photos seem to have Harry Mudds hair on Kirk.
                    Definitely looks that way
                    "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                      Muddling through
                      • Oct 4, 2008

Shat hadf more hair in the Motion Picture than he did in the series so he definately had wigs and eventually plugs.

the makeup on the chest was so that his skin all looked even toned on film, they have to do that or skin looks too pale

Comment

• Werewolf
                        Inhuman
                        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Hector
                        Plugs are only effective when you still has some hair on top.

If you are completely bald...plugs are not an option....toupees are.
                        I dont get this NEED some people seem to have for Shat to be bald, lol.

I'm just teasing, Hec.

He had thinning hair but wasn't ever bald. He has since had hair plugs and now has a full head of hair.
                        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Meule
                          Verbose Member
                          • Nov 14, 2004

Shat would be so proud: almost 4 pages on his hair
                          "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• fallensaviour
                            Talkative Member
                            • Aug 28, 2006

Sean Connery is bald and wore wigs and toupes nobody cared!?!?!
                            I'm just saying is all.
                            “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• Joe90
                              Most Special Agent
                              • Feb 23, 2008

You. Guys. Are. All. Crazy!

He. Never. Had. A. Hair. Piece. Or. Plugs. That. Was. A. Lie. Started. In. Hollywood. By. Those. Jealous. Of. His. Acting. Skills. The. Man's. A. God. A. Genius. Unrecognized. In. His. Time. Mocked. By. Lesser. Mortals. Like. You. All. You. Should. All. Move. Out. Of. Your. Parents'. Basement. Suites. And. Get. A. Life.
                              90, Joe 90.... Great Shakes : Milk Chocolate -- Shaken, not Stirred.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                                Hi Ernie!!!
                                • Feb 15, 2004

That's Roger C. Carmel's hairline on the Shat!!

You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎