X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Megospidey
    Museum Webslinger
    • Jul 26, 2006

Stephen King's "Under the Dome"

Just finished King's mammoth new 1,100 page novel, Under the Dome. One of his best...if not the best.

I love a novel that has lots of characters and gives plenty of time/ink for character development.

King knows how to tell a "tale" and the premise behind this one is pretty cool: an invisible dome descends upon a small town in Maine and pretty much turns life "upside down." The dome brings out the best and worst in the citizens of the town.

If you're into King, I do recommend it. I picked it up at Wal-Mart for $20 on sale.
    Last edited by Megospidey; Jan 6, '10, 6:03 PM.
  • SlipperyLilSuckers
    MeGoing
    • May 14, 2003

I haven't read one of his books in years, though I was a big fan and read most of them years ago. Thanks for the heads up, might just grab it.

Comment

• pmwasson
      Maker
      • Sep 12, 2007

Is it a novelization of The Simpsons Movie?
      sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• Megospidey
        Museum Webslinger
        • Jul 26, 2006

^^ Oh....some similarities can be made. But once you get into it, you realize pretty fast it is NOTHING like the Simpson's movie.

Comment

• huedell
          Museum Ball Eater
          • Dec 31, 2003

Speaking of movies, I smell a cool movie coming from this plot, eh?
          "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Megospidey
            Museum Webslinger
            • Jul 26, 2006

I was reading the book the whole time thinking, "man this would make a great movie. man this would make a cool movie."

Right screenplay and director - right amount of character and plot development - not too much in the special effects (although you would have to have some due to the complications of the dome)....this would make a GREAT movie.

Comment

• huedell
              Museum Ball Eater
              • Dec 31, 2003

I really love the premise.
              "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• megoscott
                Founding Partner
                • Nov 17, 2006

I just read The Stand for the first time, really liked it. Then I watched the 1994 TV movie...lame...Be nice to have another big time King movie.
                This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• Megospidey
                  Museum Webslinger
                  • Jul 26, 2006

^^ with today's special effects, this one could be brought to life in a big way. As long as they don't overdo it.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                    Muddling through
                    • Oct 4, 2008

haven't picked this one up yet but plan to. I am a big King fan. The Stand ranks as one of the greates fictional novels of all time...IMO

Comment

• fallensaviour
                      Talkative Member
                      • Aug 28, 2006

I'm currently re-reading the stand and the drawing of the three(book 2 of the gunslinger series).Man can he ever tell a story.
                      I wish they would do a gunslinger tv series or major movies.
                      Saw the dome at the news stands but will wait for paperback.
                      “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• hansen14
                        Museum Patron
                        • Feb 10, 2008

Reading under the dome and love it so far....one of his best in years. I never read big books but this one has me hooked!

Comment

• Meule
                          Verbose Member
                          • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by SlipperyLilSuckers
                          I haven't read one of his books in years, though I was a big fan and read most of them years ago. Thanks for the heads up, might just grab it.
                          Same here. I started reading The Dark Tower and made it to the fourth book and then I just didn't have the time anymore. But rumour has it they're gonna make it into a film, so I'll try to finish the series before I see the movie
                          "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Meule
                            Verbose Member
                            • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by fallensaviour
                            I'm currently re-reading the stand and the drawing of the three(book 2 of the gunslinger series).Man can he ever tell a story.
                            I wish they would do a gunslinger tv series or major movies.
                            Like I just said, rumour has it there will be a The Dark Tower movie
                            "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                              Muddling through
                              • Oct 4, 2008

I wish they would do the Dark Tower as a series on HBO. a movie just won't be able to do it justice.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎