Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BubbleGumFink
    Museum Super Collector
    • Jun 16, 2006

If another new POTA film were to look anything like the Burton movie, then I hope I never see it. I think the best hope for cool new Apes stuff would be quality fan films using original style make up and sets. Kind of an Apes version of Star Trek New Voyages or Starship Exeter.

Comment

• kresge1
      Museum_Bozo
      • Jun 20, 2001

I would not mind another POTA movie,but it would definitely have to be more in tune with the original.
      Looking for Remco Phantom. Mego mailer boxed figures

Comment

• HardyGirl
        Mego Museum's Poster Girl
        • Apr 3, 2007

Originally posted by ABMAC
        I wish I could unsee Burton's 2001 garbage. I'd rather have nothing than more of that.
        Agreed. Even the 13 year old kid I took w/ me, (only b/c I got him into the ape movies) wasn't buying that load of trash.
        "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
        'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
        Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
        If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• The Bat
          Batman Fanatic
          • Jul 14, 2002

Some Movie's just shouldn't be "re-made"(especially by Tim Burton!)...I'm quite content to watch the Original. Besides...Heston's a tough act to follow.
          sigpic

Comment

• Wee67
            Museum Correspondent
            • Apr 2, 2002

Not only do I believe the film will be re-made, I think it can be re-made well.

Actually, I could see it going in two directions.

If enough time passes, I could see another director given the opportunity to make this story. If the director has enough cred, he/she might be able to really focus on a theme and succeed

BUT, WHAT IS MORE LIKELY... Burton tried (and failed) to have some sort of vision and control. Studios might blame the film not meeting financial expectations on a director having too much control. If a movie is made soon, I could see the studios really pushing to make a merchandise-friendly version. That would essentially hollow out the film and most likely leave us wanting.
            WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• apes3978
              Permanent Member
              • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by Wee67
              If a movie is made soon, I could see the studios really pushing to make a merchandise-friendly version. That would essentially hollow out the film and most likely leave us wanting.

You know, although you're right in that they'd probably want it to be "tie-in" (aka "merchandise") friendly, I'd like to see it NOT be that way. I just wish those idiots would see that not every film made today has to have cups at Burger King, video-games at GameStop, and toys everywhere else.

PLANET itself was not over merchandised (but most films weren't then either), and you know what, it was all the better for it. It wasn't until 1974 when the **** hit the fan and APES was stuck on everything. Yes, I am glad they made the Mego APES line, but am I glad they made most all of the other stuff: NO.

If they make a new APES film, and they decide they "need" to merchandise it, they had better start slow...A few T-shirts and maybe a set of well made figures... See if the film goes over and if it's a hit, THEN start making more stuff... That way the stuff will be in demand, not setting there rotting away on the shelves.

In any case, should they do a new APES film, it should be rated R so as not to become an over-hyped piece like pota2001. Also, by having it R, they may well be able to show humans as ANIMALS, they way they were intended (but the way they weren't shown in 1968 due to obvious reasons.)

Bring on the Boulle novel as a film.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

I got a quick question, that I hope can get answered to save me rewatching the Burton trainwreck again. Are the humans on the monkey planet supposed to be descended from the humans on the crashed space station?
                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• BubbleGumFink
                  Museum Super Collector
                  • Jun 16, 2006

How about remaking movies that sucked the first time around rather than the ones that were great? Why doesn't Hollywood do that?

Comment

• apes3978
                    Permanent Member
                    • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by BubbleGumFink
                    How about remaking movies that sucked the first time around? Why doesn't Hollywood do that?
                    As Butthead would have said if asked the same question: "You can't polish a turd Beavis..."

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎