X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kennermike
    Permanent Member
    • Nov 4, 2007

New Adventures of Batman- Filmation 1977

I was thinking of getting this at Amazon .is this something I should pull the trigger on?
  • HardyGirl
    Mego Museum's Poster Girl
    • Apr 3, 2007

I loved that show!
    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Riffster
      Atomic batteries to power
      • Jun 29, 2008

even with batmite it's still worth getting... I loved that show..now just wish they'd do the 60's one
      Looking for Infinite Heroes Robin and Catwoman
      And Super Powers Batman

Comment

• filmation batman fan
        The Man of Many Voices
        • Aug 30, 2005

As a number one, die hard fan of this show (hence my handle), I personally and highly recommend it.

If you're a fan of the lighter hearted Batman, which includes the Adam West Batman from the live action TV series, or the SuperFriends era, this cartoon fits in with all of it.
        Or if you're a fan of 1970's animated shows by Filmation, I definitely recommend it. This cartoon originally aired on CBS along with Tarzan: Lord of the Jungle back to back, which I thought was awesome as a kid. Later that fall, they made it official, switched the order around, and then it became the Batman/Tarzan Adventure Hour. The show also ran as the last closing segment on Tarzan and the Super 7 for a couple of years before moviing to NBC and becoming a rerun series called Batman and the Super 7. In addition, the New Adventures of Batman aired from 1977 to 1981 while the SuperFriends were airing on ABC. So you got a double dose of Batman and Robin back then.

THE PROS:

1: Batman and Robin are voiced over by none other than (drum roll please)
        Adam West and Burt Ward themselves, from the live TV series. This falls in line with Filmation getting the live actors from the Brady Kids, Star Trek, and Gilligan's Island to do the voices of their characters, so with West and Ward, The New Adventures of Batman feels like an animated version of the live TV series. In the cartoon, Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson slide down the Batpoles, Robin has his Holy Catchphrases, The Penguin quacks, Catwoman has a sexy, seductive voice, and Mr. Freeze speaks with a foreign accent. And the Bat Vehicles all have the color schemes of black, red, and yellow.

2: Most (not all) of the music score is awesome for a Saturday morning kids cartoon. Or at least by Filmation standards. I personally liked the main theme and closing theme credits the most. Most stock music heard was also on Star Trek, Tarzan, and both the live and animated Shazam series.

3: The character designs are great and they capture the look of the 1960's Carmine Infantino era of Batman and the voices of West and Ward fit those character designs.

4: Commissioner Gordon looks like the comics and had a great voice over in
        Lennie Weinrib.

5: Although Batman and Robin do no punching, their acrobatics are cool to watch thanks to Filmation's use of rotoscoping.

6: Featured villains: The Joker, The Penguin, Catwoman, Mr. Freeze, and the animated debut of Clayface. The only original villains that are cool are The Moon Man and Electro.

THE CONS: Although this is a great cartoon, keep in mind, that aside from Batman: The Animated Series, these old cartoons are far from perfect. Here are the flaws:

1: BatMite! The fans agree. BUT keep in mind, BatMite was brought in at a time when the censors and the Action For Children's Television restricted how cartoons would be made. And back then, animators had to throw in some cutesy cartoon character to provide comic relief. Space Ghost had Blip, Aquaman had Tusky the Walrus, The SuperFriends had Wonder Dog and later on, Gleek, Godzilla had Godzooky, you get the idea. The Scrappy Doo Syndrome. Not only that, but BatMite's inclusion resulted in his replacing Alfred the Butler.

2: The violence was toned down. Thanks to the Action For Children's Television and censors. Animators had little control over how their cartoons would be told and animated. No violence of any kind, horrible dialogue, and had to have some kind of educational or moral value. This is why Batman and Robin threw no punches on this show or the SuperFriends, but more or less became gadget heroes and taking away their ultility belts was their Kryptonite back then.

3: The Riddler: He appears on the intro in a wrongly colored red costume, but he never made it into any of the episodes. This was probably the result of an embargo which explains why the Riddler and the Scarecrow are the only Bat Villains on Challenge of the SuperFriends.

4: Original villains like Sweet Tooth, Professor Bubbles, the Chameleon, and Zarbor. Surely Filmation could have come up with better.

5: The oddity of a 1960's style Batman cartoon made during the late 1970's with 70's style music and background characters. This was one series not consistent with the times.

But don't let those flaws stop you from getting this series. The extra feature is awesome and features interviews with Paul Dini, Mark Hamill, and Dennis O Neil

I would only advise you to avoid it if you only like Batman as dark and grim, but if you do like the Adam West era Batman, I say it is definitely worth the investment.

BTW, I also agree with the Riffster in that they should release the 1968 cartoon for the sake of having every animated Batman series on DVD.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• The Toyroom
          The Packaging King
          • Dec 31, 2004

I like it but I'd rather have the '68 version....
          Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

I rented it from Netflix, watched it for about 20 minutes and sent it back. Worse than I remembered. The 68 one at least has some charm to it.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Captain
              Fighting the good fight!
              • Jun 17, 2001

Originally posted by The Toyroom
              Amen. The seventies version is just too cheeseball for my liking. I mean I like it....but its far from perfect. The characters look ok, and its neat hearing West and Ward again, but Bat Mite is a pain in the butt, and some of the story lines makes Super Friends seem absolutely gritty.
              "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                OH JES!!
                • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                Ditto.................

Comment

• Steeler80
                  Mayor of Strunk
                  • Jun 29, 2001

I'm not sure how it's held up (probably as well as most of the Filmation superhero shows) but I absolutely loved it as a kid.

Comment

• fallensaviour
                    Talkative Member
                    • Aug 28, 2006

Originally posted by Steeler80
                    I'm not sure how it's held up (probably as well as most of the Filmation superhero shows) but I absolutely loved it as a kid.
                    Same here,Even got my son hooked on it now thanks to tele-toon retro.
                    “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• jds1911a1
                      Alan Scott is the best GL
                      • Aug 8, 2007

It is not as good as the 68 filmation batman but the show is still fun. typical of 70's filmaiton the dialog is really bad but the castig of Adam and Burt was brilliant since Olan Soule and Casey Casem were committed to superfreinds. It is no worse than a superfriends with Zan and jayna

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

I loved it back then, and it holds up about as well as most Super Friends episodes. I bought a boot of it before the official DVD was released. I need to upgrade. I really want the 68 version out too!

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• Jason73
                          Correctamundo!
                          • Jan 11, 2009

I enjoy this set. Brings back the Saturday Morning memories of my childhood. But when are they going to release the 1968 episodes?
                          Happy Days-Mego Style

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
                            To Fear is Not Logical...
                            • Feb 17, 2008

Bat Mite is a pain in the butt, and some of the story lines makes Super Friends seem absolutely gritty.

I have the set and really like it, but sometimes I do have to fast forward through that Bat Mite stuff.
                            It's all good!

Comment

• HardyGirl
                              Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                              • Apr 3, 2007

The YouTube users Horrorpunkbg and DesiDoomsday have some '68 Batman eps posted.
                              "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                              'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                              Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                              If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎