X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

webbed hands

Who thinks the webbed hands on aquaman were made for aquaman? I don't. I think it was meant to be for something else and just wound up on an aquaman figure. Why would they have changed the hands when aquaman didn't have webbed hands ever? And he wore gloves so they wouldn't have shown. It makes no sense that they would have changed hands for a figure that didn't have that style and they would be covered and nobody would see the difference. Wouldn't they have fixed other figures that were not done right before they would make new hands for no reason. Maybe they were Neptunian prototype hands. But not alien enough to look good on the figure. I think maybe they were a prototype for "the man form atlantis". Whether they had the license or not, that is what they look like. Can you think of any other characters that they might have intended them for?
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

In talking with folks from Mego, I kind of get the feeling that they were toying with the notion that they could steal some "Man From Atlantis" heat without getting the license.

That or they played with the license but eventually abandoned the concept and made the playset into Aquaman instead. Kenner got the license but it's entirely possible Mego looked at it first.

If you look at the genesis of that show, it started out as TV Movies in 1977 and they were a big hit. The series was prepped for fall, that's when licensors would have gotten involved. Mego could have explored the license and then deemed it not worthy (which I've been told did happen) Kenner ran with it and had all sorts of stuff planned. None of that stuff even made their catalog but the GWS is there in the Mego cat.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• SoulSinger
      Singer Of Mego Love
      • Oct 22, 2007

Didn't the Submariner (Namor) have webbed hands? Could have been for him.

Bob

Comment

• LonnieFisher
        Eloquent Member
        • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by SoulSinger
        Didn't the Submariner (Namor) have webbed hands? Could have been for him.

Bob
        I don't think he does. He didn't when the human torch found him and sent him back to the water.
        Last edited by LonnieFisher; Dec 22, '09, 11:49 AM.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
          Eloquent Member
          • Jan 19, 2008

rumor that "aquaman and the great white shark" had web handed aquaman is false. Mark Huckabone has opened three of them all with regular hands. I wonder if a Patric Duffy mego head will ever be discovered? That would be cool...

Comment

• palitoy
            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
            rumor that "aquaman and the great white shark" had web handed aquaman is false. Mark Huckabone has opened three of them all with regular hands. I wonder if a Patric Duffy mego head will ever be discovered? That would be cool...
            I'm aware of that, I'm the guy who asked him to check them, I was referring to this catalog image. Obviously Mego abandoned even the webbed hands when shipping but the prototype in the catalog is shown gloveless for a reason:

The one Roberto got is clearly a prototype from this time. Oh and here is the Kenner Man From Atlantis Prototype, lame huh?

Comment

• LonnieFisher
              Eloquent Member
              • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by palitoy
              I'm aware of that, I'm the guy who asked him to check them, I was referring to this catalog image. Obviously Mego abandoned even the webbed hands when shipping but the prototype in the catalog is shown gloveless for a reason:

The one Roberto got is clearly a prototype from this time. Oh and here is the Kenner Man From Atlantis Prototype, lame huh?

http://www.plaidstallions.com/images...antis-doll.jpg
              Looks like steve austin to me. Not man from atlantis.

Is Berto's the prototype in the picture? It must be because it is the only one known to exist.

Comment

• palitoy
                • Jun 16, 2001

Looks like steve austin to me. Not man from atlantis.
                for the proto, Kenner just used a Steve Austin doll, that's the point I was making.

Is Berto's the prototype in the picture? It must be because it is the only one known to exist.
                I believe it is, Berto can comment but the auction he won it from had a seperate Shark auction at the same time.

Comment

• toys2cool
                  Ultimate Mego Warrior
                  • Nov 27, 2006

http://www.plaidstallions.com/images...antis-doll.jpg
                  I agree, why else would he be glove less?
                  "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                  My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Raydeen1
                    Persistent Member
                    • May 23, 2008

With Maskatron's head. Weird.

I remember seeing a webbed hand Aquaman many many years ago. Long before Roberto got his. I wonder if there are a few others lying around.
                    for the proto, Kenner just used a Steve Austin doll, that's the point I was making.

I believe it is, Berto can comment but the auction he won it from had a seperate Shark auction at the same time.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by Raydeen1
                      With Maskatron's head. Weird.
                      I don't think it is maskatron. he didn't have the open eye hole. he had both eyes. I always thought the maskatron face was better than the steve austin head. I didn't like the open eye hole.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Jan 19, 2008

They were probably the pair shown in the picture. It might have been a prototype SHARK! I wish you could get all the information from past ebay auctions. Berto could probably see if the seller is still on ebay and ask them about it. I would like to talk to the people I got the flesh body lizard from and see where they got it.

Comment

• megocrazy
                          Museum Trouble Maker
                          • Feb 18, 2007

I would like to talk to the people I got the flesh body lizard from and see where they got it.
                          OK I'll bite. What's a flesh bodied Lizard?
                          It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by megocrazy
                            OK I'll bite. What's a flesh bodied Lizard?

one of a kind Lizard! type-1 with flesh limbs and body. It is (kind of) in Ben's book.

Comment

• Orion
                              Museum Night Watchman
                              • Mar 11, 2008

So are other T1 Lizards on a green body??

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎